Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...cense-in-ca-part-ii/

People v. McKay goes into detail about what constitutes satisfactory ID, and two of the main requirements appear to be:
1. Must be documentary
2. Must, in addition to other identifying information, include a current address

http://law.justia.com/cases/california/supreme-court/4th/27/601.html.

People v. McKay specifically cites to 12591 as proof that the legislature intended users of the roadway to carry ID. This is a bicycle case about a bicyclist who was arrested for a municipal bicycling infraction because he did not have satisfactory ID even though he gave his name and address, which were accurate.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of these things where I don't understand Americans. Why make it so complicated? It's not that hard to carry your ID when riding a bike. Just do it instead of always whining about it. If you carry it, there's no problem. If you don't and end up in trouble you can scream how your rights are being violated but at the end of the day, whatever problem you get into, no matter whether it's fair or not, is something that you can avoid by carrying your ID.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait a sec. You can vote without an ID but you need to have an ID to ride a bicycle?

nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...cense-in-ca-part-ii/

People v. McKay goes into detail about what constitutes satisfactory ID, and two of the main requirements appear to be:
1. Must be documentary
2. Must, in addition to other identifying information, include a current address

http://law.justia.com/cases/california/supreme-court/4th/27/601.html.

People v. McKay specifically cites to 12591 as proof that the legislature intended users of the roadway to carry ID. This is a bicycle case about a bicyclist who was arrested for a municipal bicycling infraction because he did not have satisfactory ID even though he gave his name and address, which were accurate.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most teens/kids would not have an id with their address on it, so............

are they not allowed to ride bikes on the road ?
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

Is that what I suggested or implied? I'm saying if you have an ID, you can make your life much easier by carrying it. If you don't have one, well then you can't carry it with you, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello jeffp and All,

Seth comments:

"CVC Sec. 40302.5 protects a minor from arrest for failure to produce a driver license in a case not involving a motor vehicle infraction.

I think in most cases the cop is not going to arrest the minor if he has no ID unless the kid is obstreperous. If you want to be absolutely safe, though, I'd recommend minors to ride with a CA ID card. It's cheaper than a nice training tire."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have to look at what OP is saying. are we given the option?

I don't ride in CA, so I will leave with that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
This is one of these things where I don't understand Americans. Why make it so complicated? It's not that hard to carry your ID when riding a bike. Just do it instead of always whining about it. If you carry it, there's no problem. If you don't and end up in trouble you can scream how your rights are being violated but at the end of the day, whatever problem you get into, no matter whether it's fair or not, is something that you can avoid by carrying your ID.

Because we have a Bill of Rights, can't be searched without a legally justified reason (theoretically), and don't have to produce papers to the police at their will.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Benv wrote:

Because we have a Bill of Rights, can't be searched without a legally justified reason (theoretically), and don't have to produce papers to the police at their will.
This is exactly what I meant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- - - and you probably need proof of citizenship so you don't get deported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting aside stupid issues that are apropos of nothing, riding your bike with a baggie of meth is far more important to why you will be arrested than not having proper ID.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought if the cops ask for your ID you have to show them regardless if their is cause or not. Not talking about searching you, but if you are walking down the street, and a cop asks for your ID, they have the legal right to do this, yes??

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Not if you are not doing anything wrong, or maybe more like not appearing to the officer to be doing anything wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obstreperous. I learned something. Thanks.
nealhe wrote:
Hello jeffp and All,

Seth comments:

"CVC Sec. 40302.5 protects a minor from arrest for failure to produce a driver license in a case not involving a motor vehicle infraction.

I think in most cases the cop is not going to arrest the minor if he has no ID unless the kid is obstreperous. If you want to be absolutely safe, though, I'd recommend minors to ride with a CA ID card. It's cheaper than a nice training tire."

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I thought if the cops ask for your ID you have to show them regardless if their is cause or not. Not talking about searching you, but if you are walking down the street, and a cop asks for your ID, they have the legal right to do this, yes??
In California, there is no law to allow this. A Terry stop requires a legal standard to be met to ask for ID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
Benv wrote:

This is exactly what I meant.

By making a statement about supporting my rights you say I am making it complicated?

We are citizens, not subjects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
jeffp wrote:

Is that what I suggested or implied? I'm saying if you have an ID, you can make your life much easier by carrying it. If you don't have one, well then you can't carry it with you, right?

So they can give me a ticket for not putting my foot down at a deserted intersection? Nah, credit card is all I carry, "sorry officer...Im from Canada and we don't have the same rules..."

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Wait a sec. You can vote without an ID but you need to have an ID to ride a bicycle?

No, you're free to ride without an ID. The question is simply whether it's good practice to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

I think the idea here is that after you've been stopped for probable cause (say you're suspected of not putting your foot down at a stop sign), that things can go much more smoothly for you if you have an ID.

Not that cops are stopping cyclists for no discernible reason and doing a "Papers, please."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how you make that statement and depends on whether or not you are white.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry my ID and health insurance card on all rides just in case something happens and I'm non responsive. If for no other reason so my family is quickly notified.

Re: Carry California Drivers License or California ID Recommended For Cyclists [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
I carry my ID and health insurance card on all rides just in case something happens and I'm non responsive. If for no other reason so my family is quickly notified.

Same, plus debit card for a stop at Wawa, if need be

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply