Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a used Triathlon Bike from the classifieds here. Put a handful of miles on it today for the first time, both on the road and on the trainer. I capture a little video with the Fast Bike Fit App and posted it to youtube. I will eventually visit a good fitter, but I'm trying to get the fit in the ballpark and get somewhat used to riding in the aero position before I do so. Any feedback you can give would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcithKZbmgs

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 4, 17 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you going to ride in tennis shoes and flat pedals? if yes, you're saddle is too high. if you are not, then your saddle is still probably too high. also, your head position is unsustainable. your neck will hate you. look down with your face but up with your eyes. also, don't grip the bars, lay them on top of your shifters and relax your shoulders. "sink" into the arm pads.

otherwise pretty solid.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
are you going to ride in tennis shoes and flat pedals? if yes, you're saddle is too high. if you are not, then your saddle is still probably too high. also, your head position is unsustainable. your neck will hate you. look down with your face but up with your eyes. also, don't grip the bars, lay them on top of your shifters and relax your shoulders. "sink" into the arm pads.

otherwise pretty solid.

Those are commuter shoes with SPD cleats. I will get some more tri-specific footwear. Will probably stick with SPD pedals, though, for easier cross-compatibility with my road bike.

Thanks for the head position tip. Not sure how far down I can, go though. If I'm not looking through the glasses lenses, everything more than 5 feet in front of me is a blur!

Last edited by: gary p: Mar 4, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri (road) shoes are not compatible with SPD cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Tri (road) shoes are not compatible with SPD cleats.

I've found a few that are.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand/model?
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What brand/model?

Shimano TR32 & TR9, and Pearl Izumi Tri Fly Select, to name a few. There are a few others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your front wheel is higher than horizontal in the video, but you might be able to move the seat forward and lower the handlebars with a negative elevation stem...you can test it and work up to it with a adjustable stem :
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Mar 4, 17 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

otherwise pretty solid.

Those are commuter shoes with SPD cleats. I will get some more tri-specific footwear. Will probably stick with SPD pedals, though, for easier cross-compatibility with my road bike.

Thanks for the head position tip. Not sure how far down I can, go though. If I'm not looking through the glasses lenses, everything more than 5 feet in front of me is a blur!

If you have SPD mountainbike cleats on your road bike as well the way to go is to change those and your shoes to SDP-SL. The wider platform is much more appropriate for the pressure distribution to the forefoot.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri-Bike, Fit Feedback Needed [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per multiple recommendations, I lowered the saddle 1cm. With my leg fully extended, I can now just touch the pedal with the bottom of my heel without leaning over.

Tried to do an actual workout this morning and am having a problem with shoulder pain in the aero position. Specifically at the front of my shoulders, in the area of the long biceps tendon. The aero bars were in the most inward position to start, but the pads were at the widest position relative to the aero bars. It hurt right away. I moved the aero bars out ~ 2cm each, only got a little relief. Moved them out as far as they'd go (about another ~2 cm each), and it helped a little, but not much. I started uncomfortable, but within 5 minutes discomfort grew to pain again. I really couldn't hold aero position for much more than that. Tried different vertical angles for the aerobars, but it made no appreciable difference. I was very conscious not to be gripping the bars. I had my hands in a relaxed position over the ends, and minimal tension in my forearms.

Is this a common issue for someone new to a triathlon/TT bike? Do I just need to get acclimated to the position? Are there stretches I should be doing? Or is it possible I'm just too broad shouldered for the range of position available with this base bar/aerobar position? FWIW, I come from a competitive swimming background and, while not extreme, do have the prototypical "broad shouldered swimmer's physique"....well, except for the 6 pack which hasn't been seen in a number of years.

Couldn't get any video this morning, but maybe tomorrow I can get some head-on footage, weather permitting. I have to be able to open the garage door to get enough light in.

Last edited by: gary p: Mar 6, 17 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

Is this a common issue for someone new to a triathlon/TT bike? Do I just need to get acclimated to the position? Are there stretches I should be doing? Or is it possible I'm just too broad shouldered for the range of position available with this base bar/aerobar position? FWIW, I come from a competitive swimming background and, while not extreme, do have the prototypical "broad shouldered swimmer's physique"....well, except for the 6 pack which hasn't been seen in a number of years.

Couldn't get any video this morning, but maybe tomorrow I can get some head-on footage, weather permitting. I have to be able to open the garage door to get enough light in.

There are many issues that are common to people riding in a good/decent aero position for the first time. Shoulder area discomfort is one of them. It's an unusual position to hold when one is not used to it. It's difficult to tell someone what the "correct" amount of discomfort is because we cannot experience that with you.

If you truly mean PAIN then yes, that's bad. Pain is, in general, bad. Discomfort is all relative though, so the amount that you moved the pads outward seems excessive to me but again, I am not experiencing the discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing - when on the trainer I don't do most of my riding in the aero position - it simply isn't as comfortable. Once outside I can easily adjust to the TT position, but this is after many seasons and it seems natural to switch into.

When I first began training for tris, I did most of my training in the aero position, but over time felt it was unnecessary and less beneficial to do.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply