Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buy an 11 speed bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into buying an new tri bike (Felt IA 10) which is an 11 speed. I currently ride a Specialized Shiv Expert (10 speed) and my road bike is a Specialzed S-Works Amira (also 10-speed). If I end up going with the Felt I'll have to buy another cassette for my Wahoo Kickr and for my race wheels (zipp 404s). I would no longer be able to ride my road bike on my kickr and my husband who also has a 10-speed wouldn't be able to use the kickr either. I ride the kickr multiple times a week where my husband rides it a couple times a year.

My other option would be to just not ride the Felt if purchased on the kickr at all and only use my road bike for riding indoors. Suggestions anyone? Do any of you own a combination of different number of speed bikes? Please and thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an 11 speed bike? [utahtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't ride your new bike at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell your husband to get his own kickr :)

Or ride your road bike on the kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swapping out the cassette takes less than 5 minutes. If he only rides it a couple times a year, no problem. If you prefer to ride the roadie on the KICKR, no problem.
It is nice having everything be the same and easily swappable, but this is likely not as big of an issue as you may think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few questions: Are you comfortable training outdoors on the TT bike most of the year? Are your Zipp's 11 spd compatible? and do you ride them outdoors very often?

If like me for safety reasons you can't use the TT bike outside for a good chunk of the year I think its really important to still do indoor session on the bike. That said if you live where you can ride the TT bike on normal training rides I see less of a reason to ride it indoors.

If your Zipps are 11 spd compatible and they are used mainly for racing you really only need 1 spare 11spd cassette. This cassette can live between the Zipps and the kickr. Changing cassettes is pretty easy on the scale of bike things and in my opinion far less hassle than changing tires (especially stiff indoor tires) so while not ideal it shouldn't be too bad.

If you want to ride the Zipps regularly between the Amira and the Felt this a bit more of pain as you will wear out the free hub on the zipps much faster if you are not careful with the constant switches. I will go as far as suggesting upgrading the Amira to 11 spd in this case. Shimano parts are cheap (and I don't think Specialized ever spec'd the amira with SRAM) and so you should be able to find new brifters and a new rear mech for less than the cost of having to rebuild the Zipp due to a shot free-hub. Your husband would then just have to change the kickr cassette whenever he wanted to ride.

If the the Zipp's are limited to 10 spd you have an additional problem. The immediate fix would be to hack a 11spd cassette into a 10spd by removing a cog (there is plenty information on this elsewhere on slowtwitch) but that doesn't help make the whole system compatible. By the time you pay to upgrade the Zipps to 11 spd and sort out the Amira you might as well have sold you kickr and bought a kickr snap. It is for this reason if nothing else I don't believe we are likely to see the death of the wheel on trainer anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an 11 speed bike? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for advice! Glad to hear it's easy to swap out the cassette on the kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an 11 speed bike? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! Like yourself, I am not able to ride outdoors for a good portion of the year. Good question regarding the zipps. I'll have to see if they are even 11 speed compatible. It hadn't occurred to me that they might not be.

I ride the zipps very often on the my tri bike, mainly because they have a powertab hub. I never put them on my road bike so I wouldn't have to worry about switching the racing wheels between bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 11 speed tri bike and 10 speed road bike(s). I just use one of my 10 speeds on my Kickr. I had once put an 11 speed cassette on the Kickr, but didn't see the advantage so switched back to 10 speed.
Quote Reply