Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

kona coffee question
Quote | Reply
is there, or was there, someone here that had a link in their sig for a discount on kona coffee?
thx

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see it too.

For comparison purposes, a bag of Starbucks at the grocery store here costs about $12. I buy a brand roasted here in Canada, a very good one and it is about $19. Last week I was at a Kona Coffee shop, the bag costs $82.

So if there is a link for a discount of 75%, I'd buy.
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i justify my luxury pleasure purchases with things i don't buy that would cost more. i.e. i love coffee...it's cheaper than blow. at least the good stuff. which i would never buy cheap blow.
a buddy brought back a small bag 100% kona and it's awesome. i would never have bought it on my own, but now that i've tried it, i may buy from time to time as a luxury.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coffee The Rock Musical...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3FpQ6cOOU

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you do cook better than you sing, correct???
i'm happy to see you using a french press...but...a blade grinder???
do you use ginsu knives when you're cheffing!!!???

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i justify my luxury pleasure purchases with things i don't buy that would cost more. i.e. i love coffee

I do also and once a week walk out to the Kona Coffee shop for a cup of their coffee, it is very good. The coffee I buy for home is very good, not the same as Kona but to pay 4 times over already expensive coffee, is hard to do. My bet is I could find it a lot cheaper than what is for sale in their retail store but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you live in hawaii?
we were there a year ago. in one of the shops, Honolulu coffee(?) in waikiki, had 100% kona coffee. i had already ordered my americano when i saw the sign saying 100% kona so i though i would get a kona later. we came across another honolulu coffee elsewhere but they didnt have 100% kona. only the one on waikiki has 100% avail. that was the only place i saw 100% kona avail.

have you had honolulu cookie company cookies? holy cripes. i ate those things till i was sick. then ate a few more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you live in hawaii?

No but if I did, I would change my diet to the 2 main food groups. Kona coffee and Honolul cookie company cookies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a poster over on the main forum with the handle KonaCoffee - he lives right in Kailua, and may have some connections for where to get a deal.

Personally, I find the pure Kona coffee, way over-priced. Yes, it's nice, smooth and wonderful, but so are many other coffees for far less money.

When we are in Kona we buy a dark-roasted Kona blend, that's moderately priced - suits our tastes nicely. Brew it up in a french press.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 4, 17 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. There's a lot of crap Kona, even the 100% stuff. That's probably the case for most coffees. In my book, there's no better bang for the buck than a good Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I'm currently drinking one from Boomtown Roasters from Houston that's quite nice, another from Euphoria Coffee locally here in Kalamazoo, and just finished another from MadCap. There's so much complexity to the flavoring. I'd rather drop $15-18/bag for that and know it's going to be quality over $30+/bag for Kona and be throwing a dart at the board hoping it's good quality and then save Kona for a once/year experience where I know it's done right.

Fleck wrote:
There is a poster over on the main forum with the handle KonaCoffee - he lives right in Kailua, and may have some connections for where to get a deal.

Personally, I find the pure Kona coffee, way over-priced. Yes, it's nice, smooth and wonderful, but so are many other coffees for far less money.

When we are in Kona we buy a dark-roasted Kona blend - suits our tastes nicely. Brew it up in a french press.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umm you've never stood in line at a check out counter at Barber's Point or Pearl NEX if that's what u think are the two main food groups of the current indigenous peoples of the islands.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
umm you've never stood in line at a check out counter at Barber's Point or Pearl NEX if that's what u think are the two main food groups of the current indigenous peoples of the islands.

I've never been to Hawaii but the coffee and cookies are 2 of my main food groups :)

Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I agree. There's a lot of crap Kona, even the 100% stuff. That's probably the case for most coffees. In my book, there's no better bang for the buck than a good Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I'm currently drinking one from Boomtown Roasters from Houston that's quite nice, another from Euphoria Coffee locally here in Kalamazoo, and just finished another from MadCap. There's so much complexity to the flavoring. I'd rather drop $15-18/bag for that and know it's going to be quality over $30+/bag for Kona and be throwing a dart at the board hoping it's good quality and then save Kona for a once/year experience where I know it's done right.

I have to agree with you even though I really love 100% Kona. Some of the best cups I've ever had have been on the Big Island - it doesn't get much better than hanging out in the sunshine, eating a papaya for breakfast, and then sipping a good 100% Kona. But I've bought "100% Kona" coffee that was really substandard - you have to be careful about the supplier.

Yrgacheffe is awesome. My local coffee roaster specializes in Yrgacheffe and does a really nice roast. They got a little bit of national exposure last year, not because of their coffee, but because the owner started sponsoring a 13-year-old race-car driver some years ago, and a decade later that kid went on to win the Indy 500. Check out the ACRC logo on Rossi's cockpit:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call my niece, who lives in Honolulu, and she sends me a USPS Flat rate box filled with bags of Kona coffee when it goes on sale at Long's Drugs. She usually sends me a new pair of "slippahs" too!

"Shaka m'Sista!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We went on a couple of coffee plantation tours when we were in Kona. That was pretty cool.

We really liked this place: http://greenwellfarms.com/

We bought some online from them since. I think it's about $35-$40/pound.

We are going back in three months and will do a couple of more tours and sample some more.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I'd like to see it too.

For comparison purposes, a bag of Starbucks at the grocery store here costs about $12. I buy a brand roasted here in Canada, a very good one and it is about $19. Last week I was at a Kona Coffee shop, the bag costs $82.

So if there is a link for a discount of 75%, I'd buy.

IIRC some of the plantations will sell direct but honesty I have a hard time justifying $20 for a 1/2 lb of beans. Especially when a number of them slap on the Organic, Non GMO labels. I'm okay with organic, but Non GMO? Why do people hate science?
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my biggest concern in ordering it online is not knowing how old it is. like i said, it's not something i would be purchasing frequently and if the quality was poor i'd just stop. i thought i'd ask thinking there was someone here who offered a lil bit of a discount on it.

now...about the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, how are you preparing this? french press i'm guessing. i like to try coffee's as i travel around but i don't know much about the actual beans themselves. what type of tastes come from each region. i think gmo'd food is awesome, it's like that box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get in frankenfood.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had rockstar quality Kona coffee in the past but I have so-so Kona coffee on our last trip to Hawaii which surprised me given where we were and how much it cost even in state. You might also want to try some of the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, which many people say is a rival to the Kona beans. I have never had the pure Blue Mountain coffee, only the blends, but it was comparable with the Kona blends in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
We went on a couple of coffee plantation tours when we were in Kona. That was pretty cool.

We are going back in three months and will do a couple of more tours and sample some more.

In November, my gf and I went to the same plantation. She loved the coffee from there; best of all she had while in Kauai, Oahu, and Kona. I still abhor the taste, but it was a cool tour!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: kona coffee question [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

In November, my gf and I went to the same plantation. She loved the coffee from there; best of all she had while in Kauai, Oahu, and Kona. I still abhor the taste, but it was a cool tour!

sounds like you have good taste in womens, maybe she can help you work on your coffee palate a bit. ;-)

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply