Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken spokes - WTF?
Quote | Reply
I've DNF'd from my 2nd A race of the season with a broken spoke (same wheel, front HED 50).

The last break was at Xmas, took it to the lbs, and they fixed a new one. Now another's gone.

They're about 8 YO, no problems with them bar breaking three spokes in the last two seasons. I don't ride them lots, just race prep and races. I don't get why the spokes keep going ping.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken spokes - WTF? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming they're checking the tension, and balancing it, when you have repairs done ... then perhaps it's time just to relace the wheel with fresh spokes and nipples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to keep it and the broken spokes are not from trauma, re-spoke the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not uncommon. Agree with the others, re-lace the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken spokes - WTF? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Reply all)

Thanks guys. much appreciated.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the HED 50 was somewhat of a budget offering so they might have used a less expensive spoke, just like the lower priced FireCrests. Rebuild with Sapim CX Rays and be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken spokes - WTF? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to rebuild the wheel, look into a new hub as well if the original has any issues. If it's a rear then get an 11 speed hub. Some of the older Jet hubs had nipples on both sides of the spokes, if you have one of those, I'd toss it.

The thing about rebuilding Jets is that unless you loosen all of the spokes it's really difficult to replace just one. The 50 isn't too bad but the 90 is just about impossible without bending the crxp out of the one spoke.

I've never rebuilt with Sapim spokes mainly cuz I'm cheap, I just use 15/16 DT or Wheelsmith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually that is a lot of breaking spokes.
High tension wheels are pretty much good until they are not.
Once you have broken more than one spoke it could be time for a rebuild- tension is often not right anymore.

I would never race on an 8 year old wheel that has broken 3 spokes.
Quote Reply