Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to do with upgraded components
Quote | Reply
I am at a point where I do not plan on buying any new bikes, so I am debating with myself what I should do. I just upgraded my SRAM Force22 brifters and derailleurs to Etap, so do I keep the Force 22. The next dilemma is that on the better halfs bike we are upgrading from ultegra to ultegra DI2, so the same question is there.

So informal poll, I have no worries of adding to collection of spare parts but since they are not bargain basement parts their might be a use of them by someone else.

And after we test both bikes we will have a post for the ETAP vs DI2 post.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with upgraded components [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep my stable of bikes to a manageable size, so old bikes get sold or donated to junior's racing programs.

I do, however, usually keep one spare road bike. I ended up "selling" my spare to my nephew last year and then I broke my road bike. Kinda wish I had kept my spare during the month it took me to replace my bike. I have also found a spare bike to be really handy when there is a really bad winter. Ride the bike you don't care about on salted, mucky roads.

I would suggest using the parts to build a spare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a dedicated trainer bike and updated it with all the components I upgraded on my race bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously keep them if storage space isn't an issue and there's a chance you might use them. Sell them if you don't want the clutter and they are worth something. For parts not worth the hassle of selling donate them. In my area we have a charity that helps disadvantaged kids learn to build up a bike to keep from donated parts. They got a box of parts from me.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with upgraded components [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on having a road bike as a 2nd bike. Nice for something different in off season, and a back up if the Tri bike is in for service. In winter I'll use the road bike outdoors and just leave the tri bike on the trainer. the road bike gets the "hand me down" parts when I upgrade. Mine has Ultegra 10 from my departed 1st gen trek speed concept. It was sporting 9 speed circa 1999 up to that point. It will eventually get the 11 speed on my 2nd gen speed concept some day.

If you can afford all the expensive electronic components, you can afford a cheapish $1500-2000 road frame to put the old parts on and have a 2nd bike. My $0.10.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered eTap for both bikes? Etap will work with shimano cranks and cassette. It will also reduce the number of spare items you keep.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with upgraded components [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
Obviously keep them if storage space isn't an issue and there's a chance you might use them. Sell them if you don't want the clutter and they are worth something. For parts not worth the hassle of selling donate them. In my area we have a charity that helps disadvantaged kids learn to build up a bike to keep from donated parts. They got a box of parts from me.

X1. Just did this with a box of spare parts last week.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with upgraded components [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We thought about making both etap, however the bike in question already has ultegra components and even though I know they are compatible I kinda like the same group set. Also, she is a Shimano fan, I am a SRAM fan the divided house includes the unspoken agreement not to convert the other.

So I put the etap on my road bike, but my try bike currently has sram 10 speed on it. So the idea of rebuilding/upgrading with those components sound good. My main question would be if the 2012/2013 (I bought in may of 2013) Bontrager Aura 5 wheels are 11 speed compatible, if so I would throw the force on those (since they only have rival right now. If the Aura 5's are not compatible has anyone played with the limit screws on the 11 speed force to make them work on a 10 speed cassette? If the 11 speed is an option I do realize I would need a new 11 speed shifter but that would be a decent upgrade for the force 22 gear sitting in the box. Better to have the rival sitting around collecting dust.

And now it seems that I have fallen into the while I am at it trap, (replaced her garmin 500 with a 520 so that it can have the dfly info, I am looking at the subsequent upgrade of my tri bike, so I am curious as to how far I play this game (and yes I already contemplated upgrading my tri bike to etap also, but my bank account would not like another $1400 hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least it keeps us healthy.
Quote Reply