Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

8spd cassette on 10spd hub?
Quote | Reply
A friend just getting into Tri's bought a used TREK 1000 (2000 model). It's running a 8 speed Shimano cassette.
She wants to buy a rear wheel but the local classifies are all 10 speed wheels. Can she put a 8spd shimano cassette onto a wheel hub made for 10spd. shimano?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Mar 3, 17 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, if wheels for sale are pretty typical wheels, 99.9% of 10 speed wheels are actually 8/9/10 speed wheels.

So they will all accept 8-speed shimano cassettes flawlessly.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 3, 17 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yes, if the bike has pretty typical wheels, 99.9% of 10 speed wheels are actually 8/9/10 speed wheels.

So they will accept 8-speed shimano cassettes flawlessly.

I thought it was 100% 8-9-10 speed standard hub width. What's the missing 0.1% that i never heard of?
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, some, now fairly rare dura ace 10 speed hubs only accept shimano 10 speed cassettes, as the freehub splines are quite different.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yes, if the bike has pretty typical wheels, 99.9% of 10 speed wheels are actually 8/9/10 speed wheels.

I thought it was 100% 8-9-10 speed standard hub width. What's the missing 0.1% that i never heard of?

DP,

Not sure I'd call them rare, but the original D/A7800 hubs only accepted 10sp cassettes. I think that holds true for the 1st gen 10sp D/A wheels as well. Shimano released a D/A7801 hub that accepted 8, 9, and 10sp.
Quote Reply
Re: 8spd cassette on 10spd hub? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

DP,

Not sure I'd call them rare, but the original D/A7800 hubs only accepted 10sp cassettes. I think that holds true for the 1st gen 10sp D/A wheels as well. Shimano released a D/A7801 hub that accepted 8, 9, and 10sp.

OK guys, thanks for the clarification....I just assumed all the 10 speed hubs were the same in both width and spline pattern
Quote Reply