Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
That car has a 3.0L VR6 turbo engine. It puts down 800 hp at the crank. My .:R, at 2.0L 4-cyl and 500 awhp produces more hp per liter and cyl.

It's not about buying a bigger engine. It's about the ability to produce more power within the engine class.

Hey, we bust each others balls once in awhile, probably because their both so bustable. :-). You got a cool car but I'm a vintage British guy. I've got two Triumph TR8's. My street car is about 220 hp with suspension mods and a lot of fun to drive with the top down. The other is a vintage race car my buddy and I are building up, around 300 hp in a 1900 lb car, so will be lots of fun for two old guys to drive on a Sunday afternoon in vintage races.

But I'm envious of my brother - he just picked up a 1965 Lotus Elan, just like Emma Peel used to drive in "The Avengers".

I've never really been that much into German cars however.

Fuck coal. Let's talk about cool cars. At least they don't run on coal. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the vintage Triumphs. Beautiful cars.

The R is fun on the track and places like Tail of the Dragon, but it certainly isn't a cruising car. That's why I got the 1989 Vette. It has "enough" power to spin the tires, but putting the top down and cruising just makes me smile like a fool!

What I lust after, however, is the 1969 Mach 1 Mustang or a 1970 SS Chevelle like the ones in John Wick. Or a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T like the one Dom drove in Fast and Furious.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What I lust after, however, is the 1969 Mach 1 Mustang "

My buddy has an immaculate 1970. I prefer British stuff but with American V8's - my Triumph TR8, my old 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. Always dreamed of an A.C. Cobra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

My buddy has an immaculate 1970. I prefer British stuff but with American V8's - my Triumph TR8, my old 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. Always dreamed of an A.C. Cobra.

Props on the Tiger.

Besides the Kamann Ghia and Datsun roadster which I already have, I would like to restore a Sunbeam Alpine or Tiger and a Volvo 1800
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Props on the Tiger.

Besides the Kamann Ghia and Datsun roadster which I already have, I would like to restore a Sunbeam Alpine or Tiger and a Volvo 1800

Tiger was not a practical driver. The V8 was shoe horned. You had to remove the dashboard to take out the two rear spark plugs. Always over heated in stop/go traffic and cockpit was very hot on warm days. Handled like a pig. If you want a V8 British car the Triumph TR8 is far superior as a daily driver.

Owned a pair of Porsche 356's so can't get a hard up for the Ghia's although in reality they aren't that much different. The P1800 needs a convertible top. Do like them because of "The Saint" however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

It's not about buying a bigger engine. It's about the ability to produce more power within the engine class.

Bigger engine= more overall potential

I'd love to mod a CTS-V. There are guys pushing 1200WHP with those things.

I plan to buy an FRS next year to play with- gotta learn to drive like that on something that won't kill you for a small mistake. Maybe supercharging the FRS will be enough (no!)

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is yours manual or dsg. I've read that you need to do something additional with the dsg gear box and as its AWD. Would the or do the stock differentials cope with the increase you put through it?
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing i am doing to the van in the first instance is corrosion repair. Whilst everything is off it i will replace the suspension and lift it.

Everything else can wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F1 does alright with a 950HP 1.6l engine ;)

Research indicates that some of those VW 1.4l engines can go to 250

Stage 1 takes it to 180. I think bits would start falling off and reading apr's site on things they seem to have done to variants of the engine it seems you need to do something to engine ecu, gearbox and turbo in addition to air intake
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Is yours manual or dsg. I've read that you need to do something additional with the dsg gear box and as its AWD. Would the or do the stock differentials cope with the increase you put through it?

Manual.

The stock DSG is fine through Stage III. Once you go III+ or beyond, there is some concern. But, by that point, hardly anything under the hood is stock anymore.

Not listed in the original post is my latest mod - a United Motorsports flex fuel system. I can run E85 fuel, which is 100 octane. The system auto tunes on the fly to match whatever fuel is in it. I expect another 25 awhp with E85. Have not had her on the dyno with that mid yet.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if its already boosted i would leave as is. right now you can hammer it all day...besides you won’t notice the gains after a while.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So research indicates that VAG share loads of components across the group. I need to find a tuner who can tell me if certain parts are the same as in vehicles with bigger engines putting out greater HP

I do not think taking it to 180 will be an issue, beyond that though i need some specific advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I do not think taking it to 180 will be an issue, beyond that though i need some specific advice

I agree. An ECU flash can be done w/o changing anything else (other than a cold air intake to take advantage of the flash).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been duped...it is still 150 hp, but take solace in the fact that it passes emissions every time.

Andrewmc wrote:
I'm buying a car with a 1.4l turbo'd engine

Stock it has 150 HP

Currently there is an ECU upgrade which will take it to 180

At what point and what parts would need to be upgraded if you went beyond that?

Airfilter? Exhaust? Turbo? Brakes? Drive train? At what point would the mechanical parts start to not be sufficient to manage an increase in power and how do you figure that out?
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how have I been duped?

I'm pretty certain it would always have passed the emissions tests as it is not a diesel......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I turned in my stage 2 TDI i got a mk6 GTI with a k04 swap (saved money actually) and dsg (no tcu mod).

Even with that (300ish hp), traction is the main problem if you hoon it from a stop.

So...how does 500 work??

Eta - ahh, yours is an R.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Mar 4, 17 20:58
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
When I turned in my stage 2 TDI i got a mk6 GTI with a k04 swap (saved money actually) and dsg (no tcu mod).

Even with that (300ish hp), traction is the main problem if you hoon it from a stop.

So...how does 500 work??

Eta - ahh, yours is an R.

Yep. I have awd. I have the Haldex Performance Controller. So, I can set it to put about 80% of the power to the front wheels or the back wheels. Or, I can set it to AWD. I set it to front wheels when I drove down to the Tail of the Dragon last year and forgot to change it when I got there. Spun the hell out of the wheels when I gave 'er.

When I set it to rear wheels and use launch control, she spins a lot. She spins on AWD setting using launch control, but minimally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So - aside from the fact that not one of these vehicles has been delivered anywhere yet - I have noticed that items like the 7 speed DSG are common across the VAG range of vehicles e.g. something out the Golf R may appear in the TT 3.2 (fictional example)

If I was able to confirm that the drive train parts came out of something with significantly more power, then the limiter aside from the engine would be the programming of the engine, turbo and gearbox (and air intake to start with) correct?

because it may be possible that they spec for the maximum engine size e.g. 2.0l turbo pushing out 220 hp and drop those parts in to the 1.4 (I'd have got the 2.0l petrol but they are only selling it in the UK, not france)

this is another random question - the golf body - engine mounting points - for the smallest in the range up to the R must be the same correct - so when the vehicles on the line, they can just drop the respective engine in to it - so you could switch your engine for another?

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Tiger was not a practical driver. The V8 was shoe horned. You had to remove the dashboard to take out the two rear spark plugs. Always over heated in stop/go traffic and cockpit was very hot on warm days. Handled like a pig. If you want a V8 British car the Triumph TR8 is far superior as a daily driver.

Owned a pair of Porsche 356's so can't get a hard up for the Ghia's although in reality they aren't that much different. The P1800 needs a convertible top. Do like them because of "The Saint" however.
-
Rear plugs on my Tiger could be accessed via removing a couple of plastic plugs like those in the floor panel of cars. With the plug removed you could see straight through to the plug, and socket on an extension worked fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All MQB cars share the same front axle, pedal box and engine positioning, despite varying wheelbase, track and external dimensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats really useful - I will look in to this, but then its almost an absolute certainty that 6 speed DSG's will be similar / same across the group so I can find out what the spec's and capability of the stock parts are

useful thread - why join specific forum's there's always someone here thats done it.....................
Quote Reply
Re: Tuning a car - VW - increasing HP [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
JSA wrote:

Bigger engine= more overall potential

I'd love to mod a CTS-V. There are guys pushing 1200WHP with those things.

I plan to buy an FRS next year to play with- gotta learn to drive like that on something that won't kill you for a small mistake. Maybe supercharging the FRS will be enough (no!)

Hard to get past 1100 HP. I only had 800 in mine ;-) The guys who run Weapon X Motorsports are around here so heavily modded Z06s and CTS-Vs are all over (and other 'Merican muscle mostly). Minimal "ricer" crowd around here.

The only car I've ever owned (daily driver that is) that I was afraid of. But, I bought new, drove it for 4 years and when I sold it, only lost 15% of its value. That is hard to do in today's age without being a rare Ferarri or the like.

About the only car I've never modded is my wife's Lexus SUV (hate that thing). Currently tracking down an RS6 to start again. Can still fit the bike in the back, wheel on, easily ;-)

Prev Next