Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice on solo double century [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's a lot of good advice here on the thread. Here's my $0.02 added (I've ridden this distance 12 times before, but it was a road race, so I had the benefit of drafting for much of it).

* I know my total calorie burn and try to consume around 30-50% of that total during the event, so roughly 3,000-5,000 calories over 10 hours. Feels like a lot!!
* Keep on an eating and drinking schedule, and be prepared to adjust it for conditions during the day
* Anything over 4 hours in my book requires some protein to be consumed, not just sugars
* Savory foods become extremely tasty after hours of sugary crap
* By the last few hours, take on whatever you want / can, including chips, coca-cola, whatever. Get the calories and the fluids!
* Chamois cream is super helpful -- DZ Nuts!!

Good luck, sounds really fun.

On a personal note, I think you should postpone this for 10 years and concentrate on smaller, less time-intensive goals, and spending the free time with your wife and brand new kids. There's plenty of time later when your kids are big for this kind of thing.

Cheers,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Eric!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your neck is going to hurt sooooooo much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did you do this ride yesterday?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bryce_d wrote:
So did you do this ride yesterday?

Yeah... I am wondering the same thing!! Maybe his wife killed him :)... and he can't answer....

If he did it... looking to forward to hearing the details... hope all went well.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive bump. Did you set yourself an outlook reminder or something, lol? Also curious as to outcome/ OPs marital status, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Impressive bump. Did you set yourself an outlook reminder or something, lol? Also curious as to outcome/ OPs marital status, etc.

Exactly. 8:00am: ask that dude about that ride.

Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

nice outlook reminder, bryce_d! haha

Married life is good. My wife was very supportive and is glad I did it. I did this ride on Saturday 4/8 instead of Friday due to rain. Here is the recap. Thanks for the interest and advice given to me.

---------------------------------

EDIT: RIDE RECAP

I was planning to average 17 mph and try to beat 12 hours moving time. I had somewhat of a tail wind the first 80 miles, then a nasty crosswind for the next 100 coming down through Maryland. Overall I would say the wind gave me a slight advantage but not by much. The crosswind and gusts really was a struggle.

The route I planned worked really well. Some roads were busy, some were empty, but over 180 miles had nice, wide shoulders where I had my own lane, regardless if it was an official bike lane or not.

I was making amazing time, mostly due to my disciplined aero position. By mile 100 I was averaging 18.6 mph and felt so strong. By mile 170 it dropped to 18.1 mph, mostly due to the crosswinds that were also sometimes slight head wind. I started running the numbers through my head and realized I could crush my 12 hour goal and come in under 11 hours. I cranked it hard the last 30 miles and kept running the numbers still knowing it was possible. Unexpectedly at mile 185 a road in Maryland heading into Delaware was completely stripped and grinded as if they were going to repave it soon. I bounced around on that road for 7 miles with my speed drastically being reduced. Fortunately as soon as I got to the Welcome to Delaware sign, the road construction stopped and it was smooth again. I went balls to the wall the remaining 7 or 8 miles and came in at 10 hours 53 minutes moving time. I was super happy with that.

Distance: 201.0 miles
Elevation: 6,024 feet
Moving Time: 10:53:32
Average Speed: 18.5 mi/h

Average Power (Weighted): 159 watts
Average Power: 140 watts
Average Heart Rate: 140 bpm
Average Cadence: 82 rpm

Total Work: 5,496 kJ
Calories Lost: 6,128
Elapsed Time: 12:11:53

I ate:
4 bananas
9 gels (from flask)
2 cliff bars
4 nature valley granola bars
1 bag of gummy bears
2 bags of sweedish fish
1 honey bun
8 bottles of gatorade

Lessons learned:

I should have started with two pairs of socks.
My toes were frozen for the first three hours.

I should have brought more bananas.
I do not have a large enough appetite during long rides to stay fueled properly so I need to constantly force myself to eat. Bananas tend to go down easy for me and are a big part of my nutrition plan. Gas stations in Pennsylvania always have bananas but I was not prepared for Maryland gas stations not having them. I started with two bananas and ate them by mile 60, I was unable to get any more bananas until mile 160.

I should have put sun screen on my hands.
My hands got some sunburn but not too bad though.

Overall the ride went to as planned. No major issues, surprises, or regrets.

Last edited by: bluestacks867: Apr 11, 17 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on this comment - "On a personal note, I think you should postpone this for 10 years and concentrate on smaller, less time-intensive goals, and spending the free time with your wife and brand new kids. There's plenty of time later when your kids are big for this kind of thing"

If I were in your shoes, I would not be able to enjoy that ride because of the stress of thinking about my pissed off wife :-P! Plus, you'll go way slower on this ride anyway which negates the benefit when training for 70.3 and below. Instead, try joining a local group ride's 20-30 mile Sat/Sun morning circuit and shoot for pace and in-pack handling skills. In-pack handling skills will make or break you in the 70.3 because I'm assuming 70.3 here means "Ironman" brand events - which are always crazy crowded and full of far too large a variety of skills on the bike course (i.e. many dangerous people out there - which is generally not the fast / or FOP people).

Once the 20-30 mile group ride becomes easy, find a harder / faster group and build up to 3-40 and beyond.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have clarified long ago, my wife has been supportive of this ride. What I meant in my original post is I did not have enough time to train for 200 correctly (multiple long rides increasing miles). I did 112 on a whim and then jumped straight to 200 because I needed to balance family life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on completing. Sounds like it was a blast (apart from the repaving part)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
nice outlook reminder, bryce_d! haha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woah! I just saw your post-ride report and that's damn impressive. Nice work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great ride! Planning on doing a back-to-back double century in a couple of weeks so will hopefully feel inspired by your ride!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From one father of young kids to another, awesome work. My longest ever is 92 and that's constrained out of respect for family life. Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [Markalolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun! A lot of friends asked if I was bored and couldn't believe I didn't use headphones. I wasn't bored at all and time really did go by quickly. I was so focused on the road/shoulder for glass, rocks, sticks, etc as well as focused overall safety. The cue sheet I made helped break it up into manageable segments and I had to stay focused so I wouldn't miss any turns. 170 miles were roads I never has been on before. A large majority of the ride I was going through in my head what my immediate needs were and what I had available, then plan the proper adjustments or stops to constantly meet the needs and never bonk. I am hooked on the brevets now. Next will either be a triple or an everesting attempt. Maybe next year.

Quote Reply

Prev Next