Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Plan or books to read? FIRST, Hansen, Daniels?
Quote | Reply
I love to read and have read the FIRST book about running less, running faster. I am thinking of checking out the Daniels book as I have heard it is pretty interesting. I am a little over a novice running and did not know if any of these are A good reads and B worth the read?
Last edited by: ericallenboyd: Mar 3, 17 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plan or books to read? FIRST, Hansen, Daniels? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked Hansons Marathon Method.

Following the plan of course is easy, IMO, and lines you up for high frequency & high volume running for the rest of your life.

A lot of the learnings in there I still follow to this day. (when I didn't do TRIs mind you).

Like most of my long runs don't exceed 2hr 30min.

And I always run ~6-10 miles the day before my long run.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plan or books to read? FIRST, Hansen, Daniels? [mgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and I will check it out. I am doing tri's and the NY marathon this year because I got in via the lottery yesterday but always looking for a good book.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plan or books to read? FIRST, Hansen, Daniels? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd echo everything mgreen said. I've read both, but my personal preference was Hansons Marathon Method (but they are both definitely worth reading).

Also, I've found all this stuff (BarryP) very helpful:http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plan or books to read? FIRST, Hansen, Daniels? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply as well and will check out that link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think that Hansons intermediate or even beginner plan from their book would lend itself really well to being the run component of an S/B/R program. The Hanson method is built on consistency and cumulative fatigue, so no single workout is designed to put you out of commission for multiple days afterwards. The long run doesnt get above like 16-18 and they offer a good mix of quality running throughout the week including easier stuff as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using FIRST this year but have added an extra weekly easy run. I like running 4 days/week and feel stale on their prescribed 3 runs/week. That said I did my first ultra last fall and don't feel like running 7-8 times/week right now. Daniels is also good, the plans are fine and the explanations good. But if you want to train S & B too it's difficult to fit it all in.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply