Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
kdw wrote:
Nobody likes flats. The next person who realizes they are going flat during a ride and doesn't curse will be the first.

What you are really saying is you are not comfortable changing a flat. Learn to do it and stop living in fear of flatting and riding bad rubber. In an IM you should be able to flat with the 4000s, change the flat, and then still finish faster than if you had the g'skins and didn't flat.

This.

After your next ride, take a wheel off, deflate, take the tire off the bead, remove the tube, reinsert the tube, mount the tire, inflate. Then do it again a few times.

Then do it with the other wheel.

A flat tire should be a 'oh fuck I just lost a few minutes' not 'what the fuck do I do now'?

BOOM. that is such good advice. I am always surprised when I have quick flat change. I do it once a year at most so its hard to be good at it. if I really cared, i'd practice it like I practice T1, T2, and everything else.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep that the recommendations so that's what I'm going to do....
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
gary p wrote:
Why are you limiting yourself to just those two options? What about the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance? Gets you most of the low rolling resistance of the 4000SII, and most of the flat protection of the Gatorskin.
Yes, I haven't tried these myself but have heard several people praising them. A somewhat similar tyre to the Conti 4 Seasons I think.

Similar puncture resistance to the Conti 4 Season, but the Pro 4 Endurance only suffers a 2 watt per tire disadvantage (@ 18mph) to the GP4000SII while the 4 Season costs you ~5 watts per tire. The Gatorskin is over 7 watts a tire, nearly 15 for the pair.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends don't let friends race on Gatorskins....ever. Puncture resistance with latex tubes and sealant of GP4k are more than adequate for racing or training. Plus if you flat a gatorskin, they are not easy to get off and reinstall. GP's go on and off pretty easy.

Gatorskins are nice for training in cold climates because they slow you down. Less forward speed = less cooling effect.

Why now train on one set, race on another? A worn tire has worst aerodynamics and all the cuts and damage from training makes a tire riskier for racing an important event.

Everyone hates flats. It can ruin a ride. I average a flat about once every 1500-2000 miles or so outdoors I'd say. That's maybe 2x a year. I ride about 60/40 annually indoors vs. outdoors I'd say.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi...thanks for your info. It's unanimous and I'm heading to 4000's for sure as soon as I'm off the trainer because of snow! I ride Zipp Firecrest 404's and have decided 25's are my best option. 28's seem too wide and I'd end up taking a speed hit....
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Friends don't let friends race on Gatorskins....ever. Puncture resistance with latex tubes and sealant of GP4k are more than adequate for racing or training. Plus if you flat a gatorskin, they are not easy to get off and reinstall. GP's go on and off pretty easy.

Gatorskins are nice for training in cold climates because they slow you down. Less forward speed = less cooling effect.

Why now train on one set, race on another? A worn tire has worst aerodynamics and all the cuts and damage from training makes a tire riskier for racing an important event.

Everyone hates flats. It can ruin a ride. I average a flat about once every 1500-2000 miles or so outdoors I'd say. That's maybe 2x a year. I ride about 60/40 annually indoors vs. outdoors I'd say.

This is the first mention of sealant in the thread, is there a preferred sealant for a bike that sees both training and racing?
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Train in Gators and save the 4000s for racing. If anything, that extra speed you get during the race is highly motivating.

+1, best option.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Train in Gators and save the 4000s for racing. If anything, that extra speed you get during the race is highly motivating.

+1, best option.
Terrible option!

I enjoy riding. Nice tires make riding the bike feel much better, both physically and because you don't have the knowledge you're being compromised by sluggish tires. I don't just train to race, I also train to train. I'm not going to accept a less comfortable and enjoyable ride on every ride accept when I'm racing, based on an irrational fear of punctures and in the hope I can trick myself into greater motivation during the race. I'll enjoy my bike thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
Kentucky Mac wrote:

+1, best option.

Terrible option!

I enjoy riding. Nice tires make riding the bike feel much better, both physically and because you don't have the knowledge you're being compromised by sluggish tires. I don't just train to race, I also train to train. I'm not going to accept a less comfortable and enjoyable ride on every ride accept when I'm racing, based on an irrational fear of punctures and in the hope I can trick myself into greater motivation during the race. I'll enjoy my bike thanks!

"Life is too short to ride crappy riding tires." - Tom A.

:-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+100000 I don't know why ANYONE would ride gatorskins. They suck, period. And they're way more expensive than GP4000s. I have never seen them on sale. I have looked for them as a trainer tire but they are always at MSRP where I can get a GP4000 for like $35 anyway.

Ai_1 wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
Kentucky Mac wrote:

+1, best option.

Terrible option!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
Kentucky Mac wrote:

+1, best option.
Terrible option!

My fear of flats wasn't irrational. Happened often in the Contis. N=1, as always

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
+100000 I don't know why ANYONE would ride gatorskins. They suck, period. And they're way more expensive than GP4000s. I have never seen them on sale. I have looked for them as a trainer tire but they are always at MSRP where I can get a GP4000 for like $35 anyway.
Gatorskins for $28.00

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Gatorskin+Tire&vendorCode=CONTI&major=1&minor=27

Not saying that Gatorskins provide the same ride as 4000s. But the do last like iron.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000 vs Gatorskins [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. I haven't looked in a year or two since I have just been using my 4000s. I don't want to put a number on the tires but I have used the same tires for a few seasons I think. When they get too worn for outdoors I put them on in the winter for the trainer. So for the price it's not like I am only getting one season of use. They used to be race tire, then training tire, then trainer tire. So they get a good beating from me!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next