Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oliver Reed
Quote | Reply
Every now and then this guy pops up in some article. I case you didn't know, he was the gladiator owner in Gladiator. He partied himself to death while filming and is know as a legend in the heavy drinking community.

http://articles.latimes.com/...may/03/news/mn-33473

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were Giants in those days

Oliver Reed
Peter O'Toole
Richard Harris
Michael Caine
Richard Burto

http://nypost.com/...o-stars-into-drunks/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 2, 17 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was part of a group of actors that included Albert Finney and Robert Shaw that could drink their faces off but then be ready to go once the cameras rolled. Was also turned down for the roles that went to Shaw in The Sting and Jaws. Check this out from imdb as far as how he died:

"He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey and Hennessy cognac, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450, about $594.72."

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeezus, I feel hung over just reading that.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
He was part of a group of actors that included Albert Finney and Robert Shaw that could drink their faces off but then be ready to go once the cameras rolled. Was also turned down for the roles that went to Shaw in The Sting and Jaws. Check this out from imdb as far as how he died:

"He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey and Hennessy cognac, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450, about $594.72."

Jesus. That belongs in the "how do you want to go out" thread.

I was amazed by the statement in the article Forge linked that said he drank 106 pints in 24 hours. Not sure if that is more or less impressive than his last stand - maybe more, because he survived it...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know his stats. The only one that outdoes him in my opinion, was Andre the Giant.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In some other literature I read about him, he was once labeled "Britain's most embarrassing man" or something like that. I don't know, but the dude is a legend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you imagine those two spending a day at the pub together? Would likely clean the place out!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a "heavy drinking community"?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you were never given the secret handshake.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
There's a "heavy drinking community"?

You might know it by its more common name, "Ireland".
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yeah, you were never given the secret handshake.

I think I was but I was blacked out at the time.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It used to be embodied in the Modern Drunkard Magazine website and forums like this one. Where people would openly brag about exploits, stories of legends like Hemmingway, Andre the Giant, Oliver Reed and others could be found. Sort of like Blue Light but only for drunks. You should check the site out if not for some good laughs. Hadn't been there in 7 years

Some awesome items form a quick look.

-Rules of Boozing, I bet Alan Shearer is an expert on this.
-History-different items like the Great Eggnog Riot and the History of Natty Light, How Thunderbird came to be.
-Interviews with celebs.
-Drunk Fiction
-Bar Culture

I really should avoid this site as it makes me want to go out and drink.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, blue light is populated by liars and pussies.

With a few good SWIMs scattered about.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Reed [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its called sucking the monkey. You can't be a member until you have done it.

Just kidding, but did you know? "Sucking the Monkey" was a 19th-Century sailor slang for secretly drinking from a coconut whose milk has been replace with Rum.

Have you ever heard of Tapping the Admiral or Drinking Nelson's Blood?

Both are old terms for drinking rum. You see, in days of yore, many sailors were "pressed" into service and would find their way on a navy or merchant ship after a heavy night of drinking. In other word, they weren't there by choice. To appease the potentially mutinous crew, the navy ensured a daily ration of rum per sailor. This was kept in a large cask in the ships hull.

As some may know, Horatio Nelson, was a national hero. He died in the Battle of Trafalgar. Normally, sailors that die at sea are left to the sea, however, as a member of the Admiralty, he was entitled to a state funeral. So the body had to return. Unfortunately, there was no means of preserving the body except of course, the cask of rum. So his body was placed in it to preserve the return. This of course, meant the daily ration came to an end. That was unacceptable to some unknown sailors who managed to gain access. So much access that when the ship moored in Britain, the cask body was removed from an empty cask.

Hence the name Tapping the Admiral or Drinking Nelson's Blood are terms for drinking rum.

Where else would you find this kind of important knowledge?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only article I have read at blue light was John McAfee's legendary thread. I'm sure most drunkard stories are full of shit to. Mine aren't, but I don't really tell them anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
The only article I have read at blue light was John McAfee's legendary thread. I'm sure most drunkard stories are full of shit to. Mine aren't, but I don't really tell them anymore.

Most of my drunken exploits will stay with me to the grave.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
You see, in days of yore, many sailors were "pressed" into service and would find their way on a navy or merchant ship after a heavy night of drinking. In other word, they weren't there by choice

That's also where the phrase "being Shanghai'd" comes from, as it happened there a lot ["being Singapored" or "being Tortuga'd" doesn't quite have the same ring, I guess?]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply