Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
I buy the argument advanced by Sessions' spokesperson that Sessions was speaking in the context of the Trump campaign contact with Russians.

Do you really buy that, given they were in the middle of an election campaign?

Yes.

He saw the Russian ambassador once in a group of ambassadors at the Republican National Convention. The other time was when the Russian ambassador visited Sessions' office. There are visitor logs, video tape, etc. of this official business visit. Nothing unusual or wrong about it.

As I said, Sessions was stupid for not qualifying his answer as relating to the Trump campaign. I don't think he is stupid enough to be coordinating with the Russians to help Trump's campaign from his Senate office.

Also there is ZERO evidence, indeed no inference, that the Trump campaign received any info from the Russians. The info that may or may not have been hacked by Russians was released by wiki leaks. Remarkably, now after a year of hearing how undisciplined and uncontrolled both Trump and his campaign were, we are now being asked to believe that the Trump campaign received some secrets from the Russians but were completely mum about it.

The Russian connection is just a red herring.

*except Roger Stone

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's not unremarkable that, in his mind, he thought the question went to the campaign and that he was only answering in that context. Sure, he volunteered what seemed to be an absolute statement, but it still wouldn't have been an unreasonable mistake.

Judgement call, I suppose. Either he willfully lied, or is too stupid to understand the situation he was talking about. It doesn't matter what the context in his head was. Like you said, it's not like contacts with Russia wasn't a hot issue at the time he volunteered that absolute statement.

Have you seen the entire 2+ minutes of the exchange between Stuart Smalley and Jeff Sessions? They were both babbling idiots. Poorly asked and poorly answered.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
What's troubling is that he or his staff never noticed and never tried to correct the record, something that he easily could have done. It's not like someone making a misleading statement about contacts with Russia was never a hot item in the news.

I think they noticed it immediately. But they have waited for this moment to release the information.

They didn't choose this time, it was forced upon them by the media story.

I'm surprised that there are no comments about how the media can't be trusted.

I am wondering about the functionality of your internet access today.

What was the first outlet to report this? Who was their source? From what I've seen the WaPo was first to report and DOJ (i.e. Jeff Sessions) was reported to be the source.

If you are thinking that these were moles within the DOJ, and it just so happens that Jeff Sessions was primed to talk about this last night and this morning and his spokespeople were prepared as well, then I think you are the one with the imagination. ;) Thus, no fake news comments on this one.

Here's the clue: if it was a mole, then the WaPo would have ID'd their source as "sources within the DOJ who have requested anonymity as they are not authorized to release the information."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
It's not unremarkable that, in his mind, he thought the question went to the campaign and that he was only answering in that context. Sure, he volunteered what seemed to be an absolute statement, but it still wouldn't have been an unreasonable mistake.

Judgement call, I suppose. Either he willfully lied, or is too stupid to understand the situation he was talking about. It doesn't matter what the context in his head was. Like you said, it's not like contacts with Russia wasn't a hot issue at the time he volunteered that absolute statement.

Have you seen the entire 2+ minutes of the exchange between Stuart Smalley and Jeff Sessions? They were both babbling idiots. Poorly asked and poorly answered.

And that's a fair point.

Even the most careful and best prepared witnesses misunderstand questions and make mistakes. It's generally the job of the examiner to clarify. Franken didn't necessarily ask a bad question. His mistake was not following it up. But in fairness, it probably wasn't a big issue at the time, and he probably didn't feel the need to follow up.

That said, this wasn't a trial. Sessions wasn't a witness only answering questions. He was a nominee, and he should have supplemented the record once it became apparent that this answer was misleading. And I don't believe for a minute that he or his staff didn't notice very shortly thereafter that his response was misleading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

From the WaPo article.
In a statement issued Wednesday night, Sessions said he “never met with any Russian officials to discuss issues of the campaign. I have no idea what this allegation is about. It is false.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.0ca595166137
Last edited by: IHOP: Mar 2, 17 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
H- wrote:

From the WaPo article.
In a statement issued Wednesday night, Sessions said he “never met with any Russian officials to discuss issues of the campaign. I have no idea what this allegation is about. It is false.â€

Yes. I saw that and that is what I was referencing earlier when I wrote that he had responses ready (and spokespeople) when the issue came out. To me it is clear that they put it out there. Do you disagree?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
IHOP wrote:
H- wrote:

From the WaPo article.

Yes. I saw that and that is what I was referencing earlier when I wrote that he had responses ready (and spokespeople) when the issue came out. To me it is clear that they put it out there. Do you disagree?

Yes I disagree.The issue did not come out from Sessions, he did not offer it up. The story broke from other sources. Even in your own words above, he had a response to the issue coming out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The issue did not come out from Sessions, he did not offer it up. The story broke from other sources.

Interesting. To what sources have you seen the story attributed?

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
The issue did not come out from Sessions, he did not offer it up. The story broke from other sources.

From the same article linked above, you can conclude that based on this part of the report "The Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening." that WaPo was working on this article before Wednesday night, the time that Sessions had his response. The response was a reaction to a story breaking about his concealment of the meeting with the Kislyak.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The news conference is on in the other room ... How in the world did Sessions become a senator and AG? Based on his performance on the mic, he does not compare favorably to many of the business leaders I've interacted with over the past 20 years.

I guess I used to live in a fantasy world where people were actually qualified for the job.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
The news conference is on in the other room ... How in the world did Sessions become a senator and AG? Based on his performance on the mic, he does not compare favorably to many of the business leaders I've interacted with over the past 20 years.

I guess I used to live in a fantasy world where people were actually qualified for the job.

drn92

While I am no fan of Sessions, he was a US Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama for 12 years. I wouldn't call him a business leader.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sessions , A man of his word recuses himself from any investigations about the campaign.
What a breath of fresh air compaired to the last two maggots that were our AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Even if they were ready to put it out there, which I don't agree with, why would they do it just after Trump finally had people saying good things about his Presidency and months after his testimony?

It makes no sense.

If they were planning to come out, at a minimum it was because they knew the story was coming.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Mar 2, 17 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Still, he needs some media training.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Obama. Greatest president ever! He'll come save the day.

Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll Trump your Obama.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Mar 2, 17 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Session's Pants Are On Fire [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

From the same article linked above, you can conclude that based on this part of the report "The Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening." that WaPo was working on this article before Wednesday night, the time that Sessions had his response. The response was a reaction to a story breaking about his concealment of the meeting with the Kislyak.

Something up with the internet maybe. When I click on the WaPo article, it attributes the information to "Justice Department officials." Same thing in the original WaPo article I read breaking the story. I can't find anything indicating that the source of information about Sessions meetings was other than DOJ.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Even if they were ready to put it out there, which I don't agree with, why would they do it just after Trump finally had people saying good things about his Presidency and months after his testimony?

It makes no sense.

If they were planning to come out, at a minimum it was because they knew the story was coming.

You have all the information but don't see it. Since January 10 people were not saying good things about Trump. When you are already under attack, is that a good time to put out some dirty laundry? When is a good time for Trump to deal with a problem involving one of his guys? He's already had the Flynn problem. So how about waiting till when he is riding high?

They have been sitting on this, my guess is, since January 11th. Either Sessions or an aide realized the mistake immediately or afterwards. Sessions has guys reviewing what he said just for this purpose.

The only source for the info about meetings that I've seen is "Justice Department officials." Were officials in the DOJ investigating who Sessions shook hands with after giving a Heritage Foundation speech to a bunch of diplomats? Only Sessions himself or a few people close to him could have given that information to someone within the DOJ. No way Sessions didn't know that DOJ officials had this info.

As a media play, this is nothing new. Been standard practice for years. Got bad news, "leak" it out of your administration, or department, to the press. They decided this was not something Sessions needed to admit to -- look at his statement insisting that he did not talk to the Russians about the campaign. Standard play in this case is leak it and take some hits for a couple days.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

It makes no sense.

You have all the information but don't see it. Since January 10 people were not saying good things about Trump. When you are already under attack, is that a good time to put out some dirty laundry? When is a good time for Trump to deal with a problem involving one of his guys? He's already had the Flynn problem. So how about waiting till when he is riding high?

They have been sitting on this, my guess is, since January 11th. Either Sessions or an aide realized the mistake immediately or afterwards. Sessions has guys reviewing what he said just for this purpose.

The only source for the info about meetings that I've seen is "Justice Department officials." Were officials in the DOJ investigating who Sessions shook hands with after giving a Heritage Foundation speech to a bunch of diplomats? Only Sessions himself or a few people close to him could have given that information to someone within the DOJ. No way Sessions didn't know that DOJ officials had this info.

As a media play, this is nothing new. Been standard practice for years. Got bad news, "leak" it out of your administration, or department, to the press. They decided this was not something Sessions needed to admit to -- look at his statement insisting that he did not talk to the Russians about the campaign. Standard play in this case is leak it and take some hits for a couple days.

Typically when you know bad information is coming out, you try to get ahead of it and speak to it before the hostile media gets it, via a more sympathetic media outlet. The Trump Admin has done the opposite, denying everything until it comes out, and then saying, um, well yeah, ok, there was that meeting, but no others.

Why was Trump's son in law meeting with the Russian ambassador?
Quote Reply

Prev Next