Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength training in conjunction with tri training.
Quote | Reply
For the last 6+months I dealt with a knee injury and was unable to bike or run. I had knee surgery last month and am currently almost through the rehab stage. During this time I decided to focus on strength training 3 x week and diet. I slowly cut out most processed foods and have lost almost 30 pounds in the process. I now weigh less than I did during my fastest short course distance season (I'm 5'5", 127 lbs). I'm probably the strongest I've physically been in my life.

After my surgery I started adding easy biking and incline walks into my routine. I can feel myself being sucked back into triathlon training and will probably end up doing sprints and olympic distance tris if everything continues to go well. I found that when I did start cycling again I picked up almost where I left off thanks to the fitness I was able to keep through lifting.

This brings me to my question. I have liked doing strength training because it's given me great results. Do any of you lift all throughout the year or do you stick with only during the winter? I'm a wee bit nervous that all my strength work will be undercut if start loading up on swim/bike/run. Do I have to pick one or the other or can they live together in harmony?

Like I mentioned I lift 3 x week (bench, squat, deadlift) 4 sets of 5 heavy, among some other lifting exercises. I've researched the subject somewhat and have found conflicting results. Some people say reduce the weight and up the reps while I see others advocating lifting heavy.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Please and thank you.
Last edited by: utahtrigirl: Mar 1, 17 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in conjunction with tri training. [utahtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I strength train year round myself 3x a week in addition to 3xRun, 4xSwim, 4xBike + as much recovery yoga as I can get in. Just like any good triathlon plan the strength training plan needs to be periodized. I typically have 3-4 phases each year that I stick to and build off the previous years gains. Here is how I break it down:

Phase 1 - Anatomical Corrections:
For this phase I'm focusing on any imbalances, limiters in range of motion, or stiff areas of my body. The goal is to increase range of motion, make myself more limber and to rebalance any muscular imbalances that may have come to the surface.

Phase 2 - Muscular Endurance:
In this section of the training I'm doing medium weight but high high number of reps. I'm trying to increase the point of fatigue in any given muscle group and then push it just beyond that again and again. I'll mainly focus on things that will help burn any excess fat and increase power in the 4 plains of motion.

Phase 3 - Explosive Power:
This is where the real tough work begins. Loading the muscles up and then exploding through most exercises. This will drastically increase the density of my muscles allowing me to stay lean but have quick access to the power I've developed.

Phase 4 - Max Power:
In this last phase I'm just pushing my ceiling to its limits trying to increase the weight on each of the exercises that at this point I've determined are my weakness. Anything that is at a satisfactory rate gets work but not as intense until everything has hit the same level overall (which is nearly impossible for me).

Once I've completed these phases I then have a general maintenance package I put together addressing each of these items over the course of my 3 weekly sessions. Typically this happens around June when race season begins. I've not found it to be any detriment to me and I've gotten faster and faster these past 2 years after adopting this.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in conjunction with tri training. [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your response. It was very informative. It makes sense that you'd cycle strength training the same way you cycle through triathlon training.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in conjunction with tri training. [utahtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't give as informative response as previous poster but I can say I paid the price last year by not doing enough strength training. I had shoulder issues with swimming (some of just stroke related) and just other minor nagging issues. Starting last November I've work with a triathlon coach for the first time. She has included strength workouts every week. Earlier in the winter it was multiple times per week. I feel SO much better and SO much stronger. And a majority of the workouts are boot camp style with lots of body weight exercises.
Quote Reply