Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine
Quote | Reply
Coming down to Irvine for a water polo tournament and then to disneyland and was wondering if there were any trails fairly close to these areas? I haven't been able to find anything so far. Thanks for any help on this
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Peter's Canyon and Irvine Regional Park/Santiago Oaks. Don't ask me questions about them as I've never run there. I live further south and run trails very local to me. I do have friends who run those areas often. Apparently, they like it.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
canwi wrote:
Coming down to Irvine for a water polo tournament and then to disneyland and was wondering if there were any trails fairly close to these areas? I haven't been able to find anything so far. Thanks for any help on this

When I go to Disneyland every year :( I try to run in the mornings on each day we are at the park. I just run around the outside of the park. A lot of it I can run on the grass by the curb.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the tourney at Woolett or UCI? Where are you staying?
What kind of trails are you looking for? Paved MUP's? Irvine is full of those; mostly flat.
Dirt trails? Irvine has some of those? Still mostly flat; some hills near UCI and Quail Hill.
Real hilly dirt trails? Laguna Coast/El Moro has an extensive system. Also some at Bommer and Peters Canyon out in Tustin.

Where do want to run from? Near the pool or hotel?

Let us know where that is and what kind of running you want to do and we will point you in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's at a bunch of pools in the area........it's called the Turbo Cup. I'm staying at the holiday inn

Holiday Inn Irvine South/Irvine Spectrum
23131 Lake Center Drive
Lake Forest, CA 92630

single track with climbs would be my choice of trails ie. mtb trails that I can run on. Near the hotel would be best........but we will have a car so am willing to drive half hour if I have to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run Shady Canyon/Bommers Trail right off Sand Canyon exit and the 405. Its a couple exits north of the Irvine Spectrum Park after the roundabout. On the right hand side is the parking lot/trail head. Run up about 4.5 miles and you'll crest over to El Moro Canyon where you can hook up any distance you want. Lots of elevation gain, fresh ocean air and stunning vista.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good recommendations. Forewarning, it will be warmer and drier tomorrow, so just keep that in mind for your run.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine [Trikobe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, not coming til march 9th.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your staying just down the way from me, not in a resort area; but probably a cheaper stay.
A couple of restaurants right next to you and more across Lake Forest. Make sure to try In n Out; a California tradition - it's down at El Toro and I-5.

Here's a map of Irvine Quail Hill area.
http://irlandmarks.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/COI.Trail_.Map_.lowrez.for_.web08.26.13.pdf

Only a couple of exits up the 405. I'd recommend the Quail Trail; though mostly fire road.
A bit more driving to Bommer Trailhead gets you to the Turtle Ridge singletrack.

Here's Laguna Coast map
http://www.ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=57857

A bit more driving, but some better trails. Both systems connect under the toll road near Ridge Park road.

Pay attention to the closed trails, they patrol and cite. And have trail cameras taking your pic as well. ( A friend is a bike cop there; State TT champ - so he can put some power down and catch people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aliso Wood Canyon

Down the 133 about 5 miles from the spectrum. Lots of runners, mtb'rs, and great trails. Very hilly
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Running near Disneyland and Irvine [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks very much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few in Irvine and surrounding area-- not many specifically in Anaheim near Disneyland that I'm aware of. As others have mentioned and a few others...

Quail Hill/Shady Canyon/Bommer Canyon
Laguna Coast Wilderness
El Moro
Aliso Woods
Peter's Canyon
Irvine Regional/Santiago Oaks
Whiting Ranch

Also can do some of the Cleveland National Forest trails which are a bit more 'remote'-- Blackstar Canyon, Maple Springs, Motorway (or Silverado), Lower Holy Jim, Trabuco/West Horse Thief.... just be aware of wether and road conditions as Trabuco Creek Rd. which you take for Lower Holy Jim/Trabuco is closed at the gate and has been pretty beat up from the rain.

All of those would be fairly close to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Closest/best MTB-type trails from your hotel are to park at the Quail Hill trailhead at Shady Canyon Rd. and the 405. Start running towards the hills (away from the 405) and then take almost an immediate left onto the trail behind the soccer fields. Great trails there. Alternatively, head directly over the hill (still away from the 405) and you'll get to Bommer Canyon after about 2 miles. Great trails there too.

Alternatively, the other close trail systems that are great are El Moro and Aliso Wood Canyon. The closest system to my house are the trails at the Irvine Park/Santiago Park. Tons of great MTB-type trails there too.

Have fun!
Quote Reply