Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash)
Quote | Reply
Good movie. Very entertaining. Phoenix wins an Oscar for this. No question. He even contorts his mouth (while singing) in a very similar way as Cash. Very similar.

It's not the 'greatest movie ever', and not sure if it will/should earn an Oscar ... but Witherspoon and Phoenix could both very well win two Oscars for their respective performances.

It's worth seeing. I won't give away any spoilers.

Listening to "The Essential Johnny Cash", as we speak ... or write, as the case may be.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Nov 19, 05 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go see it but I am very unsure about it. Can I handle the slightest slur against God? This is delicate ground and I am not sure I'm up too it.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it last night.

It's a good movie,well worth seeing. Reese Witherspoon was outstanding. Joaquin Phoenix transformed into the man in black.

However, I was disappointed on the amount of time they stressed Cash's addiction to pills. Yes, it was a major problem,but they harped on it way too much IMO.

The fact that both of them sang w/o stand-ins gives the film meat.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go see it but I am very unsure about it. Can I handle the slightest slur against God? This is delicate ground and I am not sure I'm up too it.

What? Why?

I've never seen someone consistently go out of their way to get something started. Surely, there is something in real-life that could better occupy your time, or bring you more joy ... than starting a long-drawn out internet fight. I really don't get it.

==========================

Swordfish, I agree. I'm guessing the the real-life 'Man in Black' was not as much of a "bad boy" as the legend reveals ... so they went a little overboard on the pill addiction.

Strangely the overall theme I got was 'don't get married just because you don't want to be alone' ... 'hold out for the love of your life'.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you insane? By God I meant Cash. Hollywood has a tendency to defame and Johnny is very specail to me.

Let's keep to the subject of the thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you insane? By God I meant Cash.

Yes, I'm insane. When you said "God", I thought "God" not "Cash". I'm out there in left field. ;)

I thought you were trying to continue to "Christian" thread/debate from the other day. My apologies.

But, please tell me that you can understand where I didn't make the connection between "God" and "Johnny Cash" ... as much as some of use might like Cash.

Let's keep to the subject of the thread.

I don't know why we'd start that now. =)

Seriously, I thought you were trying to start another "God" argument. This is one of those situations where I am glad I was wrong, and will gladly eat crow.

Go see the movie. You'll like it. Doesn't make him out to be a hero, or a villan. Just a man that has done some good things, and made some mistakes throughout his lifetime.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't smear the name of Johnny by bringing God into it. KIDDING!

By the way here is my little bit of heresy. June's version of Ring Of Fire makes Johnny's sound like a sad pathetic waste of space.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to "Clapton is God"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back on topic...

Saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it as well. I agree that there will be a nomination at a minimum for Phoenix. I was very impressed by both of their singing voices. Went out and bought 2 of his cd's today. Have been a fan since I saw a tribute show a few years ago. Wyclef and Dave Matthews were among the artists performing. Great show. Great movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad and I had a moment listening to Cash songs after the movie, while helping my young son put together a wooden Tonka bulldozer (The 'B-Boys' as we call ourselves). He (my dad) was raised by his grandfather, who was a big Cash fan. Grandpa's fav song is/was "Don't Take Your Guns To Town", my dad's is "Boy Named Sue", and mine is "One Piece At A Time".

So, rather than start a NEW thread, I just figured I'd ask everyone here, "What's your favorite Johnny Cash song?"

==========================

The quality singing of Phoenix and Witherspoon reminded me of Val Kilmer's singing while playing Jim Morrisson in the door's movie. Amazing how much he looked and sounded like Jim. Phoenix pulled off and almost as impressive look and sound.

You know you've got charisma when the soundbyte of the movie is "Hello ... I'm Johnny Cash".

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Very gifted. I loved the look he gave the first record company guy when he was singing Folsom Prison Blues for the first time.

Favorite Cash songs are: 1. Long Black Veil. 2. Delia's Gone 3. Ring of Fire, which I know know was written by June Carter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw it. Well worth seeing. Portrayed as a selfish dick but at times contrite and always very driven, interesting artist, which could be what he really was. He was completely original, no doubt. Reese W. is totally lovely, so I'm sure June Carter was as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folsom Prison Blues. I know it's what almost everbody says but I just love it.

Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I know know was written by June Carter"

Have you heard her version? Superoir to Johnny's. The sadest thing to me is that Johnny, thorugh no intention of his own, blocked out June who was an incredible talent in her own right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto.

2nd is Ring of Fire

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personally, i like johnny and june to sing "I'm going to jackson". There is a record of Johnny and Willie Nelson that is very good...I will look for it, it's totally mellow and real--i dig it.

my husband LOVES johnny cash. some of the songs are so sad, but i like them more as I get older.

some of my other favorites are long black veil, and daddy sang bass...that is a fun song.

i'll admit some of the songs are so sad they make me want to cry.

as for the movie, we won't go see it because my husband remembers his late father listening to johnny...he has his own memories, and doesn't want a movie to interfere with that. it's no matter to me, i'm a grateful dead and garcia/grisman fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you heard his version of "Hurt"?

haunting

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. His voice makes you feel all sorts of emotions.

Didn't he make that song after June died?

=======================
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Nov 21, 05 15:47
Quote | Reply
fave album: Orange Blossom Special
fave song: When it's springtime in Alaska. Damn, that's a great song. Plus, June sings harmony.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big River. If you get a chance to see/buy the pbs special on him, scarf it up...outstanding!
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [studley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ol JC rules. The man in black is a top ten all time great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT - yes

For those that haven't heard it (if such a person exsists.....):

http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html

say the movie last night....immediately came back home and played it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Favorite song - I've Been Everywhere

I also agree it was a good movie. Maybe too much focused on drug abuse and not enough music, but still a very good flick. I wish it woulda continued farther down their lives.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My families feelings exactly.
Quote Reply