Altra folks!
Quote | Reply
your poll is up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I own all those except the super new Escalante and the Paradigm. I must have a problem. Have you tried out the Escalante yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Hmm, I own all those except the super new Escalante and the Paradigm. I must have a problem. Have you tried out the Escalante yet?

I just bought the new Escalante. I'm an Altra fan because the last fits my feet, but I've never *loved* any of their past shoes. Instinct/Torin a bit too stiff and plodding, the One a bit too soft for mixed terrain. The Escalante is the best shoe I've ever run in, hands down.
Last edited by: mjp202: Mar 1, 17 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the Escalante two days ago. I've haven't had a real run in them yet. They "feel" right but that's just walking around and a quick jaunt in them. I like the rubber placement on the bottom. It now has coverage in areas I tended to strike so this is a good thing for me. It helps lengthen the foam life in my situation.

I use the Torins for everyday running and the Lone Peak for winter running (The neoshell version for cold, sloppy, slush and such).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my running in my Paradigms but I just ordered a pair of Escalantes. Looking forward to those.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Lone Peak 2.5s, too. Love them, but now that I found Hoka Speed Instinct, it's a toss up. But, I think I got it figured out... The Altras for really technical crap and the Speed Instincts if there's gonna be any decent (or rather, indecent) amount of downhill - like fire road stuff.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mjp and stomponafrog.

I never really got along great with the Instinct 3.0 on the road and kept wanting to use other shoes. I really liked them on the treadmill, but barely get on one anymore. I would not lump the Instinct 3.0 in the same category as the Torin 2.5, but that may be picking nits. The Torin 2.5 is still cushy while providing decent feedback. It sees most of my miles, but I still enjoy short runs in old Merrell Trail Gloves. The Torin 2.5 fit is a little goofy. I bought the 12.5 and then bought the 13. I liked the length of the 12.5, but the midfoot of the 13. I ended up using the 13, but the 12.5 is still new in box under my bed in case I want to go thin socks and stretch out the mid a little in the summer. I can't imagine needing a Paradigm, but it's been a long time since I have done regular road runs over 90 minutes.

The Superior 2.0 is likely my favorite shoe of all time. I have another pair just for casual wear. The Lone Peak Neoshell (13) was incredible for the winter! I loved the fit, loved the grip and ended up wearing them constantly because they kept my feet warm and dry. Great winter trail shoe or just fighting slush. I really wish they had been able to waterproof the tongue, because twice I got wet and it kept the water in for a while. I would totally grab a Neoshell road shoe if they made one.

The One 2.5 hates my feet in a 13. They seemed too big, stretched a bit more, made my supination worse (odd in a minimal shoe) and would leave horrific blood blisters on about every run over 45 minutes. The shoelaces were wildly long and the eyelets would nearly be touching when tied. Following Altra's sizing guide based off two other pairs I had worn previously, I thought I had the right size. Their sizing 'consistency' has been anything but. My first pair of 3sums were too small. The Torin 2.5 is still a little goofy. The One 2.5 was horrible. Any recommendations for the 'correct' size in the Escalante? I no longer trust their guide on the site with the different models and sizing up/down/staying the same.
Last edited by: dangle: Apr 14, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the poll I answered Torin since I am on my second pair. I like them but don't LOVE them. Partly because I've had the same clown colors for both pairs. I did just get a pair of the Escalante that I'm stoked to try out. My favorites are the trail shoes, the Superior and the Lone Peak. For racing, I like my One 2.5 but the upper is pretty fragile. I use only for racing and after 50 miles there is already some wear. I'm optimistic about the Escalante being a good "do everything" shoe and may even race in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Escalante and I think it is true to size. That's 10.5 for me. In the superior 2.0 I did size up to 11. The Escalante seems to be on track but I have only tried on, not yet run in them.

Any recommendations for the 'correct' size in the Escalante? I no longer trust their guide on the site with the different models and sizing up/down/staying the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Thanks mjp and stomponafrog.

I never really got along great with the Instinct 3.0 on the road and kept wanting to use other shoes. I really liked them on the treadmill, but barely get on one anymore. I would not lump the Instinct 3.0 in the same category as the Torin 2.5. The Torin 2.5 is much softer while still providing decent feedback. It sees most of my miles, but I still enjoy short runs in old Merrell Trail Gloves. The Torin 2.5 fit a little goofy. I bought the 12.5 and then bought the 13. I liked the length of the 12.5, but the midfoot of the 13. I ended up using the 13, but the 12.5 is still new in box under my bed in case I want to go thin socks and stretch out the mid a little in the summer. I can't imagine needing a Paradigm, but it's been a long time since I have done regular road runs over 90 minutes.

The Superior 2.0 is likely my favorite shoe of all time. I have another pair just for casual wear. The Lone Peak Neoshell (13) was incredible for the winter! I loved the fit, loved the grip and ended up wearing them constantly because they kept my feet warm and dry. Great winter trail shoe or just fighting slush. I would totally grab a Neoshell road shoe if they made one.

The One 2.5 hates my feet in a 13. They seemed too big, stretched a bit more, made my supination worse (odd in a minimal shoe) and would leave horrific blood blisters on about every run over an hour. The shoelaces were wildly long and the eyelets would nearly be touching when tied. Following Altra's sizing guide based off two other pairs I had worn previously, I thought I had the right size. Their sizing 'consistency' has been anything but though. My first pair of 3sums were too small. The Torin 2.5 is still a little goofy. The One 2.5 was horrible. Any recommendations for the 'correct' size in the Escalante? I no longer trust their guide on the site with the different models and sizing up/down/staying the same.

We must have very similar feet. I'e also vacillated between 12.5 and 13 with Altras (and actually wear 12 for some other companies' running shoes). I bought the Escalante in 12.5, and it's the right size for me. The upper is very stretchy, without the reinforced section on the toe, so a snug fit seems to work well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Humble brag: I had the first Altras ever shipped to Oklahoma. Had to been back in early 2010. Back before they even had a website. Was dealing with all kinds of foot/ankle injuries in my first couple of seasons running. Read an article somewhere online about this new minimalistic, zero-drop, foot shaped shoe. The next day I CALLED them up and ordered a road shoe, the original Instinct. Later that year did the same with trail, ordered up the Superior.

So guess I've been in Altras since the beginning and have tried them all. Some hits, some misses. Haven't had the chance to run in the Escalente, but fully expect it replace the Paradigm as my favorite. Although I'm slowly changing converting over to Skechers as my Go-to kicks. Those GoRun5's for $30 less and GoTrail 4's all over Amazon for $50-$60 are hard to pass up

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:
dangle wrote:
Any recommendations for the 'correct' size in the Escalante? I no longer trust their guide on the site with the different models and sizing up/down/staying the same.

We must have very similar feet. I'e also vacillated between 12.5 and 13 with Altras (and actually wear 12 for some other companies' running shoes). I bought the Escalante in 12.5, and it's the right size for me. The upper is very stretchy, without the reinforced section on the toe, so a snug fit seems to work well.

Thank you so much! I think the 12.5 is the way to roll for those. Nobody sells them within an hour of here, so it's always an online order. Yeah, I have 12's in a couple old shoes and two 11.5's in Inov-8's that I'm trying to keep as long as possible. Sizing is weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra 3-sum

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted "Other" since I mainly run on trails and mostly wear Lone Peaks. I love the feel of the Superiors, but my tender old feet are so sensitive that if there is any rough surface (roots, rocks, etc.) they just don't offer enough protection.

The only road Altras I own are Torins, which I like, but I haven't tried any of the others to know if there would be a better choice for me.

Quote | Reply
I just started running in the Provision 2.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:

Still happy with the 12.5? Now that I saw the Boston colorway and there's still not an Altra dealer within an hour, it's time to pull the trigger.

Is wearing "Boston" shoes with never qualifying like wearing anything Kona related? Hitting 35 this year does give me that extra 5 minutes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
mjp202 wrote:

Still happy with the 12.5? Now that I saw the Boston colorway and there's still not an Altra dealer within an hour, it's time to pull the trigger.

Is wearing "Boston" shoes with never qualifying like wearing anything Kona related? Hitting 35 this year does give me that extra 5 minutes....

Yep.
Last edited by: mjp202: Apr 14, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:
dangle wrote:
Still happy with the 12.5?

Is wearing "Boston" shoes with never qualifying like wearing anything Kona related?

Yep.

I was really hoping that would be a 'yep' to both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a 12 in most shoes and size up from time to time to gain a little more room in the toe box.

I ordered a 12 in the eacalante which I love everything about, except when cornering I find it a bit unstable.

I am wondering how snug the upper fits on most folks; and if I would benifit from going down a half size.

Any issues for you rounding corners?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the shoes *I think*. My one hesitation right now is I am getting some blistering on the sides of my feet from the meshy/sock-like upper which is a little coarse. The guy who sold me the shoe had similar issues. I'm really hoping it is just an adjustment period because everything else about these shoes feels really good although lateral movement is a bit iffy with the upper--certainly wouldn't recommend these on a trail
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 14, 17 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Altra folks! [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I wear a 12 in most shoes and size up from time to time to gain a little more room in the toe box.

I ordered a 12 in the eacalante which I love everything about, except when cornering I find it a bit unstable.

I am wondering how snug the upper fits on most folks; and if I would benifit from going down a half size.

Any issues for you rounding corners?

Yeah, they're a bit mushy when moving laterally, because the upper is so stretchy. I doubt that sizing down would help much, unless you're swimming in room. Mine fit like a glove, but I still notice the mushy feeling on sharp corners.

I absolutely love these shoes, but for races or trails where agility is important, the stretchy knit upper has some downsides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I know the 12's fit so I will stick with them. Definitely will be ordering another pair.
Quote Reply