Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Presidential Address [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
There is no doubt an element of fascism in every government.

("True libertarianism" or "free market anarchism" would be the opposite of fascism. And these things have never existed in the real world).

That would make Trump no different than his predecessors.

Except that Reagan, Bushes, Clinton and Obama spoke about reducing trade barriers, about growing global free trade and democracy. About the US taking a leading role in globalization.

Whereas Trump talks about building walls, punitive trade wars and isolationism.

Why is the wall a bad thing?

Do you think the US is "winning" when it comes to trade?

Give me a specific example of Trump talking about "isolationism."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Address [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Whereas Trump talks about building walls, punitive trade wars and isolationism.

He does talk about building a wall. He doesn't talk about "punitive" trade wars, or any trade wars. He doesn't talk about isolationism.

This is the same tired tactic when someone suggests that maybe unfettered globalism isn't an unalloyed good, and we should take steps to protect ourselves against some of it's negative impacts. It used to be that people who said that were isolationist and protectionist. Now they're apparently outright fascists.

If that's the new standard, most of our allies are fascists.

No shit. People should look at how Switzerland, New Zealand and Japan, as examples, run their country.
Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Address [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to take him at his word.

Do you mean his word prior to the campaign, during the campaign, after he became President, during his speeches to supporters or from his speech last night?

Quote Reply
Re: Presidential Address [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

The criticism would be how the debt was going to increase with the big increases in defense and infrastructure spending, the path to legalization with immigrants etc. For some reason, the Republicans now seem to support this which is baffling to me.

As I have noted for years, there isn't a single deficit hawk in this country. Build a wall, build up defense, build infrastructure, try (and fail) to make small cuts in the budget, cut taxes for everyone.... The only difference is that Democrats actually pay for their spending, Republicans always put it on a credit card.

I agree that the Republicans are not deficit hawks either. But how can you say that the Democrats actually pay for their spending, after the $10 trillion increase in debt the last eight years?

I think that the democrats were more inclined to pay for their spending over the last 8 years, but the republican congress for instance wouldn't let them do away with the Bush tax cuts. I'm not saying that they would have had the balls to REALLY raise taxes enough to make a difference, but revenue was on the table for them as part of the solution.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say. More incoming just means more spending. And maybe there is some truth to that, but paying for your spending with taxes is no less of a fantasy than the idea of cutting taxes to raise revenue. Just ask the people of Kansas.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next