Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If Trump had intentionally delayed the release of hostages...
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about how different things are then just 35 years ago.

I don't want to get into the weeds about what Reagan did, but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return. He did this because his bigger strategy was that to win the cold war we couldn't have a real war in the middle east. So the ends justified the means; and if you accept this narrative it is kind of hard to argue otherwise.

Why I bring this up: it seems that today it would be impossible for a President to take that course of action. Is this a good thing? I don't think so...
Quote Reply
Re: If Trump had intentionally delayed the release of hostages... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I don't want to get into the weeds about what Reagan did, but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return.

That isn't how it went down.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: If Trump had intentionally delayed the release of hostages... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember watching on live TV the reporters standing on the beaches as the tanks came ashore in the invasion of Granada. That was 1983. I knew then that the world had changed forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return.

Of all the things that never happened, this never happened the most.

Next you'll tell us that story about George HW Bush getting flown to Iran in a SR71 jet to secure the deal? Amirite?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Feb 28, 17 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I don't want to get into the weeds about what Reagan did, but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return. He did this because his bigger strategy was that to win the cold war we couldn't have a real war in the middle east. So the ends justified the means; and if you accept this narrative it is kind of hard to argue otherwise.

Why I bring this up: it seems that today it would be impossible for a President to take that course of action. Is this a good thing? I don't think so...

It was the guy on the grassy knoll who had just flown in on the Roswell spaceship and the deal was to keep the faking of the moon landing hush hush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: If Trump had intentionally delayed the release of hostages... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return.

Of all the things that never happened, this never happened the most.

Well yeah, other than that is what happened I agree.

Do you think Reagan scared them with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse?

Don't be thick, you Reagan Ball-Washer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really believe what you wrote in the OP?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

You realize that the arms transfers didn't happen until 1985 and were for completely different hostages, right? And what this has to do with the cold war is mystifying.

Also, your October conspiracy theory has been pretty much debunked. Here's some facts from those who were there: http://www.factcheck.org/...reagan-and-hostages/

Quote | Reply
“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”
Ronald Reagan

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you don't want to get into the weeds, but Reagan actually struck a deal with Uflee the supreme leader of the planet Zern. In exchange for the crashed UFO from Area 51, It facilitated the release of the hostages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I don't want to get into the weeds about what Reagan did, but the short version he struck a deal with the Ayatollah prior to the election to get credit for the release of hostages and promised arms to fight Iraq in return.
I think you are mixing up two separate events.

The Ayatollah demanded the US return the Shah so he could be put on trial and when President Carter refused Iranian students captured the American embassy and held 60 Americans hostage for 444 days. There have been suggestions that the Reagan campaign was in contact with Iran and to guaranty a Reagan win prevented the hostages from being released until after he was sworn in. While this is a theory I don't think any "smoking gun" has been found proving this allegation.

The arms sale to Iran was 6 years later to free 7 American hostages in Lebanon.
Quote Reply