Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: George W. Bush [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
(Iraq) Bigger than Vietnam with 55,000 American soldiers dead.?

The blame for Vietnam is divided among Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ and Nixon. Eisenhower sent advisers and JFK, LBJ, and Nixon all escalated the war. While Nixon expanded the war to Cambodia he also ended it so he deserves some credit for that.

The blame for the Iraq debacle is almost entirely on Bush43 though some would fault Obama for not getting us out more quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: George W. Bush [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to comment on his presidency.

But I believe the man was one of the most principled we've had in the White House for some time. I know everyone seems to be cynical about politicians and their motives, sincerity, etc. But I believe Bush was a genuinely good person. Regardless of policy, he generally conducted himself with dignity in office, and has definitely done so since. His dad is the same.

I know "family values" is a loaded term. But I remember a teacher once saying that, for all the family values proclaimed by Reagan, the Bushes were the ones who actually lived it.
Quote Reply
Re: George W. Bush [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know when it started but it was a sad day for me.

eb wrote:
of course vietnam happened within modern history

OK, smart guy, so when did modern art happen?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: George W. Bush [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gad zooks I had a vague sense of that so I looked it up. Turns out it goes back to 1945 when the OSS sponsored the August revolution which led to Ho Chi Minh coming in power. The man who in effect crowned Ho Chi Minh as the new ruler was an OSS agent named Achimedes Patti. Haven't yet figured out why the Americans would be anxious to oust the Pro French emperor other than anti-colonialism which seems a poor motive for the mess that resulted.

outerlimit wrote:
len wrote:
(Iraq) Bigger than Vietnam with 55,000 American soldiers dead.?

The blame for Vietnam is divided among Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ and Nixon. Eisenhower sent advisers and JFK, LBJ, and Nixon all escalated the war. While Nixon expanded the war to Cambodia he also ended it so he deserves some credit for that.

The blame for the Iraq debacle is almost entirely on Bush43 though some would fault Obama for not getting us out more quickly.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next