Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real point of the rule is to make things fair between the every day Joe and the chiseled greek adonis. If I need to protect the public from the sight of my pasty white man boobs then all you fit people shouldn't get an unfair advantage by flaunting your shaved bronzed pectorals and six packs.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
The real point of the rule is to make things fair between the every day Joe and the chiseled greek adonis. If I need to protect the public from the sight of my pasty white man boobs then all you fit people shouldn't get an unfair advantage by flaunting your shaved bronzed pectorals and six packs.

What??? my muffin top is freakin awesome
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 28, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
What is the reasoning for that rule? Provided my number is displayed, why do they care if I want to unzip my top all the way, or even take it off? Also, what about back zip tri suits? Does it matter how far you unzip those?

It's an attempt to standardize with the ITU here on long course rules. The ITU has for a long time prohibited zippers from going below the sternum.

As far as back zips, the ITU specifies a total length limit on them - I want to say that it's like 35cm (i'm too lazy to check right now). And virtually every back zip suit is made to these standards. So you can unzip them fully.

There are some ITU-specific long course suits with short front zips and full length back zips, but they are relatively rare. That's why the rule is generally enforced by how far you can unzip it. But for elites, the ITU prohibits even having overly long front zips (or they did in 2011); I think the rule is/was 12cm.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
uucee wrote:
Quote:
With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification. For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.
App-based live tracking.
Remote live coaching (e.g. via Connect IQ app.)

If I read this correctly, seems it is a subjective rule, which if so, many not be a good rule.

The was this is written now says I can have a cell phone one me like for tracking, or taking video, as long as I do not touch it or look at it?

There was some ambiguity in some of the prior rules. For instance, The Recon Jet could be considered a communication device, but it was allowed. But Recon had to check with every race.

Likewise, there are plenty of people who are used to using their phone as their bike computer because of the expansion of BTLE.

So this was an acknowledgement that are legitimate reasons for people to have a phone on course. Not everyone wants to go buy a dedicated bike computer.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone think there will not be bare chests at wetsuit strip off? A lot of athletes don't even wear anything but a swim suit under a wetsuit. So they are going to penalize those people now?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full regs here.
Quote:
Use of any device that will distract the athlete from paying full attention to their surroundings, including but not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, using social media, taking photographs, and using a device as a bike computer. -- DSQ
So, "bike computers" are not distracting, but "devices" used as bike computers are?
What's the difference btw. an Edge with Connect IQ apps and a smart phone with a bike computer app? Both are "devices", not just "bike computers."
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Does anyone think there will not be bare chests at wetsuit strip off? A lot of athletes don't even wear anything but a swim suit under a wetsuit. So they are going to penalize those people now?

It might we worth reading the rule before complaining about it. From the OP's link, it only applies on the bike and run:

In an effort to better define the rule prohibiting bare torsos during the bike and run, and to align with the global standard, uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum). If not remedied promptly, athletes will be issued a disqualification.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
Full regs here.
Quote:
Use of any device that will distract the athlete from paying full attention to their surroundings, including but not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, using social media, taking photographs, and using a device as a bike computer. -- DSQ
So, "bike computers" are not distracting, but "devices" used as bike computers are?
What's the difference btw. an Edge with Connect IQ apps and a smart phone with a bike computer app? Both are "devices", not just "bike computers."

What does Ironman consider to be a non-distracted and permitted use of a cell phone during the race? Kind of seems like tracking is the only thing. Which is nice and all.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so no more racing in speedos? someone winning iM superfrog 70.3

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that picture, the speedo is OK. If he had been wearing a 'shirt, jersey or sport top' then he would be OK. When you're shirtless at the finish line like he is, the race timers usually spot that and give them a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
They are trying to keep rules standardized for all IMs around the world. In the US nobody is going to care about a slightly bare torso, but in the middle east that can be offensive. The rule exists to avoid issues in locations where showing too much skin is considered inappropriate.

You really think the entire world ought to cater to the most extreme dress codes? There are places where anything less than this is considered "offensive".

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
uucee wrote:
Full regs here.
Quote:

What does Ironman consider to be a non-distracted and permitted use of a cell phone during the race? Kind of seems like tracking is the only thing. Which is nice and all.

While I've never taken a phone on a race before, I am considering an IM with a long point to point bike with two loops at the end where my wife won't be coming to the swim start. Might be nice to have it stowed in the bento with life 360 so my wife knows when she should be at T2 (or, if she wants to be there :) )
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
In that picture, the speedo is OK. If he had been wearing a 'shirt, jersey or sport top' then he would be OK. When you're shirtless at the finish line like he is, the race timers usually spot that and give them a DQ.

And it wasn't a WTC race then
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
noofus wrote:
They are trying to keep rules standardized for all IMs around the world. In the US nobody is going to care about a slightly bare torso, but in the middle east that can be offensive. The rule exists to avoid issues in locations where showing too much skin is considered inappropriate.

You really think the entire world ought to cater to the most extreme dress codes? There are places where anything less than this is considered "offensive".

Of course I don't. I consider it absurd entirely.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skimmed the triathletemag article, missed that. My bad.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Skimmed the triathletemag article, missed that. My bad.

I do read stuff before I post most of the time. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

rruff wrote:
noofus wrote:

This ^^^ would really reduce sunspots & skin cancer. But to your point, being in North America, I don't care what other countries do for dress code in races if I'm racing here, only if I'm there racing. Just like the Mary Jane legality--let the states decide, with dress code, let the country's culture decide what is acceptable. When in Rome...
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am confused how the zipper rule applies to women. I remember a few years ago when I was doing IM COZUMEL, I was running out of T1 with my bike and I had a trisuit with a front zipper that was unzipped all the way to about the "xiphoid" bone level (see anatomy link here https://en.wikipedia.org/...rnum_composition.png). However, since I am a woman, I had a sports bra on and everything was well covered (i.e. NO CLEAVAGE). Anyway, the referee wouldn't let me out of T1 until I fully zipped up my top.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this for women would be disallowed?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean that is OK to have 2-way communication with your coach with cell phone or Connect IQ-app on the Edge?

Could for instance be receiving pacing instructions, splits of competitors, and sending power, HR and speed live data to the coach?
I see sweet BBB and live race data-integrations opportunities :)

In that case it will open up for a lot more communication than standing by the road with a sign or yelling?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read the post and the rule but I don't understand the zipper standard. It seems silly and ticky espically in hot races. I guess the rules committee got board and fixed a problem that didn't exist.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Rule Changes [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next