Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with position
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I am in the process of building a triathlon bike with a limited budget (I'm a student).

I've set it up with what feels to me to be the right position. I then used an app on my phone this morning to help me fit it. I was hoping you guys would help me with some tips/advice to help me optimise my position. If any more info is needed, please let me know!

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited by: tomjt: Feb 27, 17 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Help with position [tomjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with a much longer stem (2+ cm) and I'd lower it by 2-3cm. Then see. Also, the pic should be directly from the side if possible. And the pic should become a video.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with position [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I'd go with a much longer stem (2+ cm) and I'd lower it by 2-3cm. Then see. Also, the pic should be directly from the side if possible. And the pic should become a video.

Charlatan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing will improve until hips are rotated.
also, yes, please 'square up' the image and a little more lighting.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. Really sorry about the image quality due to lighting, I've only had opportunity to take the photos/videos early morning and evening when it is dark! I'll try and get a daytime shot at the weekend.

I have dropped the stem 2cm as advised. I have fitted my longest stem (1cm longer). The saddle is up 0.5cm.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

VIDEO:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the armpads be put more forward than they are now? Also, I'd rotate the extensions up to avoid the snowplow effect you currently have.

Rolling your hips will be very important posturally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that video, very helpful. If only I knew how to get my back that flat!!

The arm pads have another 1cm of forwards movement in them, but it is not possible to rotate the extensions independently of the base bar, should I rotate the whole lot up?

Thanks again for the help :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is probably worth moving everything if you have to in order to get the extensions up maybe 10 degrees (so your forearms are parallel or slightly above). This may also help you feel more "planted" in the armpads.

A flat back is great if you train the position enough. It starts with hip posture though, which is somewhat counter intuitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll get the arm pads 1cm further forwards and rotate the bars up. I'm also going to work on getting those hips rolled. Do you have any tips at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to think of pointing your belly button at the top tube or laying your torso flat on top tube. Also try to think of only using the first third of the saddle. Helped me with rolling my hips, it will feel odd at first because, you might have to tilt saddle up one degree beyond level to get comfortable.

tomjt wrote:
Thanks, I'll get the arm pads 1cm further forwards and rotate the bars up. I'm also going to work on getting those hips rolled. Do you have any tips at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
It is probably worth moving everything if you have to in order to get the extensions up maybe 10 degrees (so your forearms are parallel or slightly above). This may also help you feel more "planted" in the armpads.

A flat back is great if you train the position enough. It starts with hip posture though, which is somewhat counter intuitive.

I have been riding with the changes and the position feels pretty good, although my neck does get a bit stiff after some time. The comment about feeling more planted was correct!

I was wondering if moving the saddle into the rear position might be a good idea, or is it better to keep it forward?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!
Quote Reply