Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone put a Hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5?
Quote | Reply
Anyone put a hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5? I'm replacing the FSA PF BB on my P5 with Di2 with a Hawk BB30 Press Fit BB (LINK) and I have a couple questions.

1) I was going to just use a punch/screwdriver to drive out the FSA BB. That's not really my problem as there looks to be enough of a lip on the BB to drive the bearing out.

2) When installing the hawk BB, it has a plastic sleeve for the Di2 wires. My issue is from BB flange to BB flange installed in the P5 is ~82mm When I put the two bearings together with the 41mm (should be 46mm) sleeve, the width is only about 70mm wide. Even if I get the longest sleeve possible, that means the sleeve would be completely seated on one bearing and just barely touching, not really engaged at all, on the end of the opposite side bottom bracket. Seems like this shouldbe ok, but just struck me as odd that they aren't both fully engaged with the sleeve.

3) Last question is that I planned on just installing this with white lithium grease between the bearing and BB shell, but should I just use the 609 loctite from the start? My concern is with the hawk BB, there isn't a big lip for a punch or even for a press to drive that bearing back out with the sleeve installed if I need to reinstall with loctite 641/609 if the BB starts creaking.

Anyone who's done this, would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Last edited by: agreif: Feb 26, 17 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a Hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the the P5 uses a BBRight bottom bracket, not a Pressfit 30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave the sleeve off, it's not made for that width BB
Definitely use loctite. Damaging the BB if you need to remove it prior to end of life is less of an issue than listening to a PF BB that has not been installed properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBRight is wider than BB30. Maybe Hawk can send you a longer sleeve or the another one the same size and you can just fuse the 2 sleeves together.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tandards_revised.jpg

edit: looks like hawk sells a BBright version. The only difference would be a longer sleeve. So Im sure they can just send you one.
Last edited by: astig: Feb 26, 17 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a Hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. It's BBright, but from a bearing standpoint it's the same, my understanding at least.

Even with the 5mm longer sleeve it still won't engage that and sleeve, I think it would need to be 51mm long.
Last edited by: agreif: Feb 27, 17 3:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Hawk BBright BB to sell if you want..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a Hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5? [ren-ge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The BBRight and BB30PF I'm 99% sure are the same thing based on what I was told by Hawk in the past.

I just got a response from their customer service this morning. The current sleeve is not going to work properly with my bike. Eric Parlin said that they saw a simliar issue on an S5 and have added a 3rd sleeve size of 52mm specifically for Cervelo frames.

Sweet! So I think that will do it. Shout out to Hawk for great customer service!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please do not try to knock out the old bearings with a screwdriver or punch.
The bearing will rock side to side on the way out and deform the BB shell.
Creaking will from that day on forever be your closest friend......

Buy yourself some proper removal and installation tools and don't wreck your frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a Hawk PF BB30 bottom bracket in a P5? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got any suggestion on pullers? Park BBT-30.3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have. Hawk PF4824 BBright for GXP. Works well, but had to get micro spacing just right. I would not do it yourself unless you have the loctite/bonging agent gig wired tight.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a park 90.3 as it does all pressfit standards.
It also is easier to keep straight.

But for a one off, the one you linked is good as it comes with 30mm press adaptors included.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://enduroforkseals.com/id195.html

This is good if you value your frame and have the dollars......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God, anyone who reads this is going to know more than they ever wanted about BB86 removals. So what I'm seeing is that the Park 30.3 will remove the bearings for those frames that have the cup integrated into the BB, but I'm not seeing how it removed the bearing cups too. For bikes like the P5 that have need the press it cartridge, your 90.3 tool sounds like the way to go. Sound about right?

Eric, ok, so use the loctite and keep it set together with the press overnight is what I'm hearing you suggest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently I went through a similar drama when swapping out a PF BB30 on my KHS.

I now know that a standard set of BB30 bearings press into the BB shell. A set of PF BB30 bearings also press into the BB shell. Why on earth one is called PF and the other isn't, I'll never know. Probably named by the same guy that called pedals you clip into.....clipless pedals. :-(

I even bought the Park Tool BB30 removal tool. Unfortunately it's NOT the right tool for a PFBB30 setup. It will remove as set of PF BB30 bearings eventually, but it will completely FK the bearings.

To remedy the situation I bought Wheels Mfg BB30 bearings for PF bottom brackets. They screw in and are a dream to install and remove. As with most things on bikes, I used a lot of grease, added some more then topped up with extra, just to be sure. Then wipe off the excess.

Can you believe that BB30 bearings (BB30, PF BB30, BBRight, BB86 etc) are such crap? I mean, they are a 6-12 month replacement item according to everyone I've talked to. As an engineer, I don't really consider that to be fit for purpose! I had an old steel bike with a Shimano sealed BB with square taper and it sat in my bike for 7 years and almost 80,000km with ZERO servicing. I eventually removed it because I figured it had to be dead, but I cleaned it up, checked the play and it was all but perfect. I put it in another bike as I'd already bought a replacement, and it's got about another 500km on it so far

Why o' Why did we ever go away from sealed BB's?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I destroyed my hawk BB in 1.5 months.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply