Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Oscars [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what? Rating continue their downward trend. So they aren't doing something right. Besides, I think most watch it now for the dresses people where. The only part I caught was that Viola's something self serving speech where she said "I became an artist, and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life."

Really? I think it has more to do with not having an appreciable skill and smarts to do something technical and wanting to be famous and feeding an ego, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, we know you go and watch movies every week alone, so you appreciate the finer points of cinema more than others. I bet you watched the Oscars and cheered on your favorites from the last year.

I made ammo until the Walking Dead came on.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: The Oscars [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So what? Rating continue their downward trend. So they aren't doing something right.

That's not the responsibility of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. That's for the studios to figure out.

Quote:
Besides, I think most watch it now for the dresses people where.

People have always mostly watched the Oscars to see the celebrities in fancy clothes. That's not new.

Quote:
And yes, we know you go and watch movies every week alone, so you appreciate the finer points of cinema more than others. I bet you watched the Oscars and cheered on your favorites from the last year.

I go to and watch lots of movies. I don't watch the Oscars (or any other awards shows in general), and didn't watch last night, except when flipping channels. I don't profess to know more about the finer points of cinema than others, but I do understand that who is nominated for or wins an Oscar is not about whether a ton of people saw the movie or not. It's about who achieved something in their field, and who campaigned best, and sometimes who bought favor from the voters, etc.

You seem to have general bitches about celebrities that don't really have much to do with which films won which awards or why.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The Oscars [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like your friend is out of a job, at least at the Oscars anyway. I wonder how this is going to affect his day job.

http://www.sfgate.com/...off-the-10969476.php

klehner wrote:
ChiTownJack wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Erin C. wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Wow, Warren Beatty pulled a Steve Harvey!!

It was Faye's fault. He knew something wasn't right.

Yeah and he totally let her read it. LOL. Great twist Oscars!

it was Price Waterhouse's fault - wrong card in the envelope

I thought I recognized the name.

The PwC partner (Brian Cullinan) who handed out the wrong card was an outstanding javelin thrower when I was on the Cornell track team (two years behind me). He still holds the school record for the "old" javelin, from 1982. Of course, it will never be broken. Very nice guy way back then, IIRC.

Pretty sure he never screwed up quite like that when throwing the spear!
Quote Reply
Re: The Oscars [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the woman from PWC (who didn't screw up) also got pulled off this job.

In the guys defense, it was dark backstage and they did change the envelopes this year so the font was tiny and had less contrast (gold letters on red (vs.black letters on white last year) - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ponsible-la-la-land/

As an accountant, i'm amazed they had 2 partners doing this job - should be 2 staff and 2 partners supervising the staff.
Quote Reply
Re: The Oscars [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an accountant, i'm amazed they had 2 partners doing this job - should be 2 staff and 2 partners supervising the staff.

I'm an accountant too and I'm amazed it takes that many people to put cards in envelopes. If it was a normal job, they'd hand to a rookie and be done with it.
The partners want the job for the publicity, not for the attention to detail, obviously.

Quote Reply
Re: The Oscars [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it seems like he was a little star struck with Emma Stone and not paying attention to what he's there for. I don't blame him though, Emma does get my motor cranking...

Sanuk wrote:

I'm an accountant too and I'm amazed it takes that many people to put cards in envelopes. If it was a normal job, they'd hand to a rookie and be done with it.
The partners want the job for the publicity, not for the attention to detail, obviously.

Quote Reply

Prev Next