Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain slip every rotation...HELP!
Quote | Reply
So I'm trying to set up my new SRAM Etap aero kit. All parts are new. I set up all of the limits etc etc. Put on the chain. With every crank rotation there is a slip that occurs on the small chainring, like the chain is riding on top of the chainring then it plops back down at the end of the rotation. I thought it I installed my small ring backwards and switched it around and same thing. I played with the B tension screw etc etc. I have good tension on my chain. I just can't figure this one out.

Can you help?

Could it be a bent der hanger? I'm just clueless at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain slip every rotation...HELP! [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
So I'm trying to set up my new SRAM Etap aero kit. All parts are new. I set up all of the limits etc etc. Put on the chain. With every crank rotation there is a slip that occurs on the small chainring, like the chain is riding on top of the chainring then it plops back down at the end of the rotation. I thought it I installed my small ring backwards and switched it around and same thing. I played with the B tension screw etc etc. I have good tension on my chain. I just can't figure this one out.

Can you help?

Could it be a bent der hanger? I'm just clueless at this point.

Are you using a quicklink? If so make sure it is properly set. Otherwise you may also just have stiff link somewhere in the chain.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stiff link in the chain?
Front derailer not allowing chain to fully drop onto small chainring?
Stuffed or incorrectly installed bottom bracket?
Ive had that one before where a stuffed drive side BB bearing allowed the crank to rock and I would constantly drop the chain off the inside of the small chainring when changing down.
Took me a while to find that one!
Quote Reply
Re: Chain slip every rotation...HELP! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, this is very odd. I now have the shifting down. Shifting is good, other than the front chainring hiccup. It goes smoothly from one gear to the next, other than the hiccup. I am using a KMC 11 speed chain with missing link. Missing link is locked. I will check with a tight link.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain slip every rotation...HELP! [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Links are all fine. I just checked. Not stiff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A picture or short video of the problem would really help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it happen equally with the chain on the big ring and small ring ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
Links are all fine. I just checked. Not stiff.

check for bent or cracked tooth on the chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain slip every rotation...HELP! [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they both slip. I'm pretty much convinced that it is the derailleur hanger throwing things out of whack. It was difficult to screw the rear der all the way in. I think b/c it is throwing the rear mech out of whack, the slip causes the cage to drop which pulls back on the chain and results in the chainring teeth not fitting neatly into the chain. Everything is brand new on the drivetrain so I doubt it is damage and I know it can't be wear. I have a new hanger on the way from Canada, so I probably won't resolve it until next week. The only other thing it could be is an improperly installed cassette, but I don't think I overlooked anything and it really isn't cog specific.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong speed chain?
Quote Reply