Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The democrats fail again
Quote | Reply
 Former Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez was elected chairman of the DNC on Saturday:

Mr. Perez, buoyed by activists most loyal to former President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, won with 235 votes out of 435 cast on the second ballot. Mr. Ellison, who was lifted primarily by the liberal enthusiasts of Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, pushed the voting to a second round after Mr. Perez fell a single vote short of winning on the first ballot.

After Mr. Perez’s victory was announced, Mr. Ellison’s supporters exploded in anger and drowned out the interim chairwoman, Donna Brazile, with a chant of “Party for the people, not big money!” When Mr. Perez was able to speak, he immediately called for Mr. Ellison to be named deputy chairman, delighting Mr. Ellison’s supporters.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/25/us/politics/dnc-perez-ellison-chairman-election.html?_r=0

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Muslim and a Domican walk into a bar....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [King Duffy!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
King Duffy! wrote:
A Muslim and a Domican walk into a bar....

Holy sh** that was funny! Glad I didn't have coffee in my mouth on that one! You are the King!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful using the word Democrat around here.
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Just don't say it three times in a row or we'll get [whisper] Hillary [/whisper] for president.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I think they made the lesser of two evils choice. Selecting Ellison would have amounted to a double down on identity politics and leftist lunacy personified by Sanders and Warren. But is it too late or just prolonging the inevitable? I think so.

On a side note, that dude (Perez) is ugly. Like should never be on TV ugly.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

Just don't say it three times in a row or we'll get [whisper] Hillary [/whisper] for president.

2020 baby. She's baaaack.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to believe they selected Perez, it's almost as if they want to keep moving in the same direction even after losing the election. I half expect the Democrats to support Hilary running again...
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
It's hard to believe they selected Perez, it's almost as if they want to keep moving in the same direction even after losing the election. I half expect the Democrats to support Hilary running again...

This is the photo they'll be using for her campaign poster.

Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again the problem was just a repeat of the primary. Anybody who thinks Sanders would have done better than Hillary is an idiot. Hillary handled him with kid gloves in the hopes of not alienating his supporters more than they already had. This was due to the heavy dependent on mercurial electorate (young and minorities). Trump wouldn't have been so nice. There is so much about Bernie, and people with his ideology in general that just don't play well in the US.

This basically came down to the same thing. Do we want more of the same (stability), or do we want a radical ideologue who embodies everything wrong with the direction the party is going. While blue collar and middle class people will be the key demographic for a long time. Why? They vote more than minorities and the youth. The direction the dems are pursuing is to energize the youth, which is a gamble, or a minority which will inspire people of the same ethnic group to vote. Problem is that works more with blacks. Hispanics tend to be more pragmatic. I don't think the net gain of having a latino on democratic ticket will swing the meter much from existing norms to warrant the alienation of large and reliable constituencies.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Democrats have to get away from "Identity Politics" -- at the end of the day all the women, black, gay, transgender, Muslim, and every other possible distinctive minority in the room still needs a job, has to pay taxes and needs to be protected by the federal government as a citizen from terrorist activity.

The solution of "tax the rich white people" isn't always the right answer. They need a new call to arms.....
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orchidrun wrote:
The Democrats have to get away from "Identity Politics" -- at the end of the day all the women, black, gay, transgender, Muslim, and every other possible distinctive minority in the room still needs a job, has to pay taxes and needs to be protected by the federal government as a citizen from terrorist activity.

The solution of "tax the rich white people" isn't always the right answer. They need a new call to arms.....

Tax the rich and middle-class white people???
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
orchidrun wrote:

Tax the rich and middle-class white people???

Tax the white people???
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats fail again [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Again the problem was just a repeat of the primary. Anybody who thinks Sanders would have done better than Hillary is an idiot. Hillary handled him with kid gloves in the hopes of not alienating his supporters more than they already had. This was due to the heavy dependent on mercurial electorate (young and minorities). Trump wouldn't have been so nice. There is so much about Bernie, and people with his ideology in general that just don't play well in the US.

This basically came down to the same thing. Do we want more of the same (stability), or do we want a radical ideologue who embodies everything wrong with the direction the party is going. While blue collar and middle class people will be the key demographic for a long time. Why? They vote more than minorities and the youth. The direction the dems are pursuing is to energize the youth, which is a gamble, or a minority which will inspire people of the same ethnic group to vote. Problem is that works more with blacks. Hispanics tend to be more pragmatic. I don't think the net gain of having a latino on democratic ticket will swing the meter much from existing norms to warrant the alienation of large and reliable constituencies.

I'd argue that the Democratic party has been going in the wrong direction ever since the Democratic Leadership Council rose to power and declared that economic populism was dead. The Democratic party has become pro-corporate and except for liberal positions on some social issues they have become Republican Lite. I don't know if Bernie Sanders would have beat Trump it is time Democrats changed their message. The Democratic Party has become tone deaf to the plight of working class Americans. Most Americans are broke. They may have a little equity in their house or some retirement savings but they have at least as much debt. They feel like they have nothing to loose so they were willing to vote for a wild card candidate like Trump. The status quo hasn't worked out very well for a lot of people and Hillary Clinton represented the status quo. Sanders would appeal to a lot of the formerly ignored and taken for granted voters who pulled the lever for Trump.
Quote Reply