Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RunIQ NB
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the RunIQ watch by NB? I don't know what to do, DCRainmaker has not written a review yet! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: RunIQ NB [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's bad.

Really really bad.

Probably the worst GPS watch I've ever used bad (no, that's wrong, some Soleus optical GPS units a few years ago earned that).

I killed one already (no idea what I did), but honestly, that was the least of it's issues.

My low-lights:

A) Display only updates your run data once per minute (unless you tap the display). You can also enable a wrist-detection mode where the display stays off until wrist turned, but it doesn't work well.
B) There's no indoor treadmill mode available (or any indoor mode). If you do any sort of workout without GPS, at the end of it the unit smiles at you and tells you it just deleted your workout data.
C) It 110% depends on Strava for everything, which is fine until you remember Strava isn't a great running app on Android Wear.
D) The optical HR sensor is the one from Intel, which is simply the one from the Basis Peak, which is downright horrible for workouts.
E) The part of the Basis Peak optical HR sensor that was great was the 24x7 mode it had. That's not offered in this watch.
F) Battery life is roughly a day if you're lucky.
G) Android Wear 2.0 won't hit it for another month or so.
H) When you turn on the GPS, it takes about 3-4 minutes every time to find satellite. Every...single...f'in...time. Even if you just had satellite in that very spot 10 seconds prior. It has the memory of a gnat.
I) Also, when you turn on GPS (and are paired to an iOS device), it disconnects Bluetooth to your phone. NB says this is a Android Wear limitation, but that doesn't hold water since Polar doesn't have the same issue in their M600 on Android Wear.
J) That limitation also means you can't use a Bluetooth Smart HR strap with the unit while GPS is used.
K) I've lost a few runs without any reasoning why.
L) While there's technically a New Balance phone app, it doesn't actually save/store any runs, everything *must* go to Strava. But, it must go to Strava via this New Balance app that does nothing except register your e-mail to receive New Balance ads every other day or more. In fact, most of the app is simply one giant ad.
M) I'm tired, that's all for now. There's other stupid things, but I can't remember them off all off-hand.
N) Actually, wait. I would have written up a short/sweet review, except for the killing the unit last weekend part. Somehow the optical HR sensor won't send the readings to the watch anymore, even though it turns on green and all. So...review has to wait so I can finish getting photos.
O) Ooooo...maybe I'll just copy/paste this as my review into a post...and done.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: RunIQ NB [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess that settles it :)
Also addresses whether you're only positive about devices. Holy tear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don' sugercoat it, Ray.

Sounds like you should just go with O)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer, thanks.

I'm a big NB fan for shoes, and I was somewhat optimistic about this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gold
Quote Reply