Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the whole of your body ready for the event on those training miles and hours?

How's your gut and neck going to do on day 4?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at past participants and checked out their Strava accounts to compare?
Last edited by: trifreemc: Feb 24, 17 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Tail wind can't be booked fore more than a half day ;-) and to shave ≈ 4kg fat is very good for the head. To keep a 20min on/off rhythm in the Aappalaches will be a special strategic plan perusal. Good luck!

On major climbs, :60sec pulls.....
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Theres a lot of articles online and race reports from people that have done RAAM. You need to spend a couple of days on google literally reading them all. Then you need to find people that have done RAAM or crewed and interview them (people that have done Trans Siberian may also be able to help). Literally ask them every single thing you can think of. I'm talking about dealing with the heat (RAAM is in summer), the climbs, shermers neck (what helmet you need, neck strengthening exercises before the race, how to rig a solution if you do get it), saddle sores, preventing carple tunnel syndrome (trust me when you cant feel your hands after 2 days its going to suck). You need good strength training or your upper body will collapse a couple days into the race. Theres so many things. You need to experience and learn how to perform under sleep deprivation, a 24 hour training day isn't going to give that to you. In some of my longer ultra races I have hallucinated from lack of sleep. You may need to rethink your strategy because 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off will give you basically no rest and burn both riders out a couple days into the race. At that point itll be trying to figure out how to salvage the race.

Excellent info!!! Yes, I quickly forget that this will effect my ENTIRE body!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thus far:

(1) Learn how to incorporate TSS into training and race day data
(2) Strengthen whole body
(3) Do more volume
(4) Forget about pre-selected wattage targets

Keep'em coming! This is helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I am going to sound like a jerk, but I think you need some tough love.

1. You aren't training even close to enough. Like not even the correct ballpark. You are signed up for freaking RAAM. I actually am wondering (*HOPING*) that your post is a joke, cause you are in trouble if it isn't.

2. Your race strategy is really bad. Switch every 20minutes? Switch every hour at night? You realize after about 3hrs of this strategy that the 20min off is barely going to matter, right? Are you planning on not sleeping for a week?

Here, I spent 30seconds googling 2 man RAAM strategies and found this nice PDF for you: https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/.../2PersonComeau01.pdf

Here is a couple highlights:
- Most two man riders were doing 10-11hrs . . . as their weekly long ride.
- Teams started with the plan to shift at 3hr intervals, and soon learned that wasn't nearly enough to actually rest in between shifts.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read in that PDF that you should be doing two back to back 200 mile rides every other week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know many folks that have done RAAM as a: solo, 2, 4, and 8 person teams. The solo was a pure cyclist and the others were cyclists and/or triathletes. All were cyclists the 6 months prior. They all had multiple years of consistent 300 mile weeks. The 6 months prior, the solo and 2 person teams typically did 400 mile weeks to 700 plus mile weeks, with near weekly 200 mile rides and some rides as long as 400 miles.

Fatigue, injury, neck, back, saddle pain, nutrition (real food), hydration, team unity (or mutiny), equipment, clothing choices, logistics, route planning, night lights, day lights, bathroom stops, clean cycling clothes, clean body, etc. are all things to consider.

Saying you will do 20 minute pulls and an 18 mph avg speed goal 24/7 is really, really fast, when the fastest 2 person ever is 19 and change, really shows me you have a lot to think about and should really plan and carefully assess your goals. You should also do a couple 24 hour dry runs with your partner to really understand your logistical swaps, crew directing, and how much fatigue sets in when lack of sleep hits you. Reading RAAM ride reports, talking to crew folks, reviewing strava times, etc. will all be beneficial.

Good Luck and finishing within the maximum allowed time is still a personal win.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Feb 24, 17 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add, talking with my friends, that RAAM is not about speed in the solo and 2 person event, but stamina and dealing with fatigue. Averaging 432 miles a day, whether it's hot, wet, windy, dark, hilly, etc. is really, really, really hard.

Good luck and I look forward to your ride report!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why you would switch every 20 minutes during the day. Is the transition at full speed or do you have to stop, and then the next guy starts? If that's the case, the slowing down and starting up would negate the speed gained. Also, doing 1 - 20 minute interval is a lot different when you are on your 36th interval for the day.

Doing longer intervals at a little slower pace will help you get into a rhythm and more importantly, give your partner time to rest.

At night, a 1 hour interval is even worse. Imagine being tired, flopping down to sleep and being woken up 55 minutes later to start again. You will be cooled down and have to start from scratch. And, you won't get any sleep.

You have to make all of the intervals longer and train accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [mkerley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel that you should switch the relay rider based on calories (kilojoules on your Garmin) vs. TSS. Let's say you switch after every 1000 kilojoules?

Replacing the total energy expenditure and the fluid lost (from perspiration etc) should be on your mind & you'd want to be precise about this.

The solo RAAM champion (Christoph what's his name) said he survived 7 days on ensure and water. Just FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Christoph Strasser .. nice idea to change on TSS & Cal!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
2. Your race strategy is really bad. Switch every 20minutes? Switch every hour at night? You realize after about 3hrs of this strategy that the 20min off is barely going to matter, right? Are you planning on not sleeping for a week?

. . .

- Teams started with the plan to shift at 3hr intervals, and soon learned that wasn't nearly enough to actually rest in between shifts.

+1

My experience with ultra-endurance events is fairly limited, but this seems blindingly obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
sausskross wrote:
...To keep a 20min on/off rhythm in the Aappalaches will be a special strategic plan perusal. Good luck!

On major climbs, :60sec pulls.....

You're kidding, right? Do you have a transporter beam to magically get the just-finished rider 300m up the road for the exchange?

p3 wrote:
I quickly forget that this will effect my ENTIRE body!

I see...well, probably good to keep remembering that.

This is starting to sound like the thread from the kid who was going to run 100 miles from school to home off the couch in 24 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [mkerley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true. You could simply set a screen on your Garmin to show TSS (I think?) and stop when you reach your goal. Not knowing anything about RAAM, other than the Netflix documentary, I was thinking a crew could watch your TSS remotely and see the changing conditions etc. with something like the Qollector. Then they would know when to transition vs. waiting on the rider to signal or however that is done.

I hope to do the ride someday (not race). Have fun. Sounds like you're in for a world of hurt (to the OP).

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

P3 or whomever you are...

Just a couple thoughts since I have done the event and several similar events. RAAM is truly a life changing event. Also knowing your name would be cool to see how you eventually do. Tracking on the event is top notch.

#1- Where are you from? Terrain and weather are very serious things to prepare for and in this order: heat, altitude, and extended climbs and technical descents- fatigued.

#2- Don't quit running and swimming unless you really despise those activities. I personally felt much stronger coming off triathlon training vs just cycling. A strong athlete will suffer better. Also trust successful ironman training and nutrition if that is in your arsenal. You will need real food, but falling back on successful ironmans will help during the more intense moments of the race.

#3- Rehearsal- I highly recommend either a weekend camp with crew and teammate and/or an integrated race like RAAM Challenge California (that one goes over the first part of the course).

#4- Crew- there has been little discussion of crew. When your crew finally begins to gel or fracture as you scoot past Kim, Colorado, that will be when you know if you can succeed at your racing goals.
-Be smart about the size and ages of your crew. A crew that is too old and/or too small will fatigue very quickly and not be able to support your goals. Your crew needs to have time where it is completely resting in a bed.

Feel free to reach out. Perhaps you only went to ST to talk about the nerdy numbers. Those are important for individual actions and training, but the difference between success and failure (and a lot of two man teams fail) is thinking about the bigger picture things and having a solid plan outside of the number of pulls and numbers to hit.

-

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. 20mins on/ 20 mins off for days is the cycling equivalent of water boarding. 60secs is beyond ridiculous and makes me think you are trolling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Minimum 20hrs per week on the bike and I'd aim for 25-30+.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I doing enough to do well at RAAM? [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billy the Kid wrote:

P3 or whomever you are...

Just a couple thoughts since I have done the event and several similar events. RAAM is truly a life changing event. Also knowing your name would be cool to see how you eventually do. Tracking on the event is top notch.

#1- Where are you from? Terrain and weather are very serious things to prepare for and in this order: heat, altitude, and extended climbs and technical descents- fatigued.

#2- Don't quit running and swimming unless you really despise those activities. I personally felt much stronger coming off triathlon training vs just cycling. A strong athlete will suffer better. Also trust successful ironman training and nutrition if that is in your arsenal. You will need real food, but falling back on successful ironmans will help during the more intense moments of the race.

#3- Rehearsal- I highly recommend either a weekend camp with crew and teammate and/or an integrated race like RAAM Challenge California (that one goes over the first part of the course).

#4- Crew- there has been little discussion of crew. When your crew finally begins to gel or fracture as you scoot past Kim, Colorado, that will be when you know if you can succeed at your racing goals.
-Be smart about the size and ages of your crew. A crew that is too old and/or too small will fatigue very quickly and not be able to support your goals. Your crew needs to have time where it is completely resting in a bed.

Feel free to reach out. Perhaps you only went to ST to talk about the nerdy numbers. Those are important for individual actions and training, but the difference between success and failure (and a lot of two man teams fail) is thinking about the bigger picture things and having a solid plan outside of the number of pulls and numbers to hit.

-

Totally agree with your comments on crew. I was on one with a group of folks I had never met. We had a 2 year old with us the entire way. We had NO idea what we were getting into. The safety check folks basically laughed at us at check in implying we would never make it. They were close.

Yep, we had a crew breaking point a few days into the race. Throwing together a bunch of folks who have never met, and then driving them to exhaustion each day,
well, half way into the race I asked them to put me on a plane to go back home.

Crewing was by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Rest, sleep, no way. We were moving like 21 hours a day. I think one day we shut is down for like 6 hours of sleep since we were all dead. I remember one time I was told to pull over and let someone else drive since was just about ready to fall asleep driving
the motor home.

But, this event was one of the best memories I have in my life, and have some new lifetime friends because of it.

Again, there are reasons only few may try, and even fewer make it to the end.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next