Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the shoe, and how the cut goes deeper along the span of the foot whereas the front/toe box and upper part of the shoe are barely scratched, it appears that a circular object sliced into the top of the shoe, penetrating deeper in the area between toe-box and ankle.
Last time I checked, spokes weren't circular... so you better hold onto that brush.

tridork wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
If you think that him holding a shoe on the rotor is even remotely applicable to the 190lb Kittel traveling 28 mph, you really need to brush up on your physics.

And if you think a micro second dab of a shoe on Kittels disc is applicable to a several second burst on the trainer, you can borrow my brush when I'm done :-)
Last edited by: windschatten: Feb 27, 17 22:49
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagreed...
A shoe getting into spokes parallel to the rotational direction can stop a bike and a rider...
Given a solid shoe, this is less of an issue for the foot (given the large contact area of several spokes, unless the foot is also being sliced in the process by a small circular sharp object.

Pantelones wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Ummm...no. You're misunderstanding the orientation of the shoe to the disc.

Also, on those specific discs you show above...can you tell me what the additional "power to rotate" cost is of those cooling fan blades they incorporated into the mounts? Asking for a friend ;-)

That is my point. If the shoe is aligned such that the cause of the longitudinal cut is from the rotor edge then it can't also be aligned to jam into the rotor and stop wheel rotation. From inspection of the rotor we see that a foot can't jam into the rotor. Therefore if the shoe caused the wheel to stop it first has to contact the rotor edge to product the cut and then jam into the spokes/fork to stop the wheel. You state (and I agree 100%) that the kinetic energy is high for the bike system, dramatically higher than wheel alone spinning. This kinetic energy also means that any contact of the shoe and rotor edge would never be enough to slow the bike system any appreciable amount, much less stop wheel rotation and throw kittel forward.

I don't care about power to rotate, that is a topic for your thread debating the technical merits of disc brake performance. It has nothing to do with the the cut to the shoe and safety risk of disc rotors.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor (mods edit: may or may not have) sliced clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The plot thickens - the professional cyclists union threatens UCI

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/...c-brake-fears-316560

.......The union goes on to call on the UCI to “review their position” and bring in “a safety cover or measures that can prevent an accidental contact of the discs to the body of the riders”.
If such measures are not brought in, the CPA says that it will pursue “all the necessary legal actions to safeguard the health and safety of its members, who, as workers, must be guaranteed the adoption of all the appropriate preventive measures required by the legislation on the safety at work.”.......
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor (mods edit: may or may not have) sliced clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/27/152600/

The comments are full of people saying Campy is trying to sway the UCI against disc brakes.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
tkos wrote:
That really isn't much of a video though. Dude fell on his bike that wasn't moving and cut himself. I've done that too on my chain ring while getting a stuck pedal off. Also the "I caught a glimpse and that was what happened" seems a little unscientific.

I have no doubt a rotor "can" hurt you, but is the risk that much increased over any other part of the bike?

Again, that's not the point...the question is does it increase the risk as compared to other braking technologies. To compare the risk to other parts of the bike is the literal definition of a "red herring".

Well it is the point of what I asked. I need to see a video of a disc brake actually cutting through something like a shoe in the way it is being explained.

My response has no herring on it. You showed me a video of a dude that was tired and fell on his bike that wasn't moving. I said, it is very easy to cut yourself or hurt yourself on many parts of the bike, while you fall on it and it isn't moving.

You won't show me that video I guess. But you will harp on and on about an accident that likely didn't happen the way people want to think it went down. It is called bringing bias to the argument that you can't get over. It is what Slowtwitch is famous for and why these threads go on and on and on and get nowhere. Which is why I have to remind myself to get my news elsewhere.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Looking at the shoe, and how the cut goes deeper along the span of the foot whereas the front/toe box and upper part of the shoe are barely scratched, it appears that a circular object sliced into the top of the shoe, penetrating deeper in the area between toe-box and ankle.
Last time I checked, spokes weren't circular... so you better hold onto that brush.

tridork wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
If you think that him holding a shoe on the rotor is even remotely applicable to the 190lb Kittel traveling 28 mph, you really need to brush up on your physics.

And if you think a micro second dab of a shoe on Kittels disc is applicable to a several second burst on the trainer, you can borrow my brush when I'm done :-)

I'm not sure if you read my account of my accident with shoe and spoke. If not, check the thread and have a read.

In essence, your summary of the interaction between a spoke and a shoe is incorrect. While my accident is an N=1 case, it does illustrate that a spoke can create the damage, almost identical to what Doull had. While 2 accidents will never be quite the same, the damage to my shoe in my accident almost exactly replicates the damage to Doulls shoe. Combining my experience with my shoe in my accident (NOT a disc brake equipped bike, just to be clear), the video of the shoe against a spinning disc rotor and the damage to Doulls shoe, I find it much more likely that a spoke did the damage NOT the disc rotor.

Without clearer evidence (from the actual crash), I don't think we'll ever know conclusively

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next