Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST experts, critique my position...
Quote | Reply
...garage decor, towel placement, my large head, etc....

I would love to get some feedback regarding possible changes I should make to my fit. I was last fit around 4 years ago by my physical therapist while I was recovering from injury. The only tri bike I've ever had is this 2008 Felt DA, which is a 56, and I think may be too small for me. I'm 6'0" but I believe fairly long torso/short legs, only 82.5cm inseam. Historically, numbers have been saddle height of 760cm, pad stack/reach of 640/490. My feeling is that I've been a little bit upright and scrunched up on this frame, which was based on a fit designed to help injury recovery and to be suitable for Ironman distance, but I'm trying to get more aero now. Good general fitness, no real flexibility issues. I still need to be decently comfortable for full distance racing as that is my goal going forward. Saddle is an ISM Prologue which I 90% love, but can have soreness after 3-4 hours. Planning to get a new frame this Spring/Summer, (hello Premiere Tactical) but would like to dial in better fit numbers beforehand.

The video below shows my interim attempt at adjusting my old fit, mainly by simply rotating my entire position forward and down. I have brought the saddle forward and raised it a bit. I've moved the armpads and extensions forward a bit as well, and I intend to lower them slightly as well, but I had to take my bike into my LBS to be able to remove internal stem corrosion in order to do this, so that's in the process of getting taken care of. I'm probably being a bit hasty posting before then, but eager to get going with the improvement process.

Any other information that would be helpful, let me know.

Thanks, and flame on!
Quote Reply
Re: ST experts, critique my position... [rahciao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need more reach... I'd start with adding 2cm if you can. You might actually try moving your saddle back just a tad. Also, that helmet likely isn't fast for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a decent fit. Do you feel like your have too much weight on your elbows? Helmet looks a little small and not optimum for your position.
Quote Reply
Re: ST experts, critique my position... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't love the Rudy Wingspan, but it's hard to find a large helmet that fits down on my big melon rather than sits on top. I'm planning to get a Giro Advantage 2 primarily because of the reviews on here - I can't test but it sounds like it does really well for lots of people.
Quote Reply
Re: ST experts, critique my position... [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is definitely some weight on my elbows, but it feels supported by my frame - although that could change I suppose when I add reach. Annoying that the helmet looks small when it's a large....any suggestions of one that would fit better with my position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some things are hard to tell, like how steep you are actually riding. The video appears to not be directly from the side, which could affect how steepness looks. Overall the position looks...not bad. You could use more armpad reach almost for sure, and it looks like your saddle may be a hair low, but it's difficult to say for sure with the angle at which the video was taken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you're fine. you could have your pads out an extra 2cm. or not. up to you.

you're lucky that you're torsoey. if you were leggy then you don't have the choice of cockpit distance; it's got to be a particular length because otherwise you'll bang your knees on the backs of the armrests.

you have the option. so, it's like it is, or it's longer, you're okay either way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply