Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice please.
Got new wheels so looking to get a new cassette and thus may as well upgrade it and the rear mech.
Going for Shimano Ultegra rear mech but I can only find an 11speed with a short or long cage. Shifters and chain are setup for a 10speed and the Ultegra cassette will be a 11-28 10 speed.
Can I go with the 11speed rear mech and not get any issues?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [richardkp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't you find a 10 speed rear derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

This. I just went on EBay and found dozens of them.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Because he wants to make his life difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just saw an offer from competitive cyclist and they only had an 11 speed. Will check out eBay now - thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [richardkp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cable pull on shimano shifters are different between 10 and 11 speeds so they are not interchangeable
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
The cable pull on shimano shifters are different between 10 and 11 speeds so they are not interchangeable
Bingo. This is correct.

If you're going to use a true 10 speed cassette, you gotta use 10 speed shifters and derailleurs if you're staying with shimano.

If you are going to do this, you can mount a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed rear hub if you use this spacer (shimano 11-speed 'low spacer', shimano part no. FW8991) behind the cassette (plus the thin spacer that comes with 10 speed shimano cassettes, you gotta use both of them).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were using sram it would.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I do not believe it matters whether the RD is 10 or 11 speed for a 10 speed setup as long as you set the inner and outer limits appropriately. The spring on either RD that controls movement allows the guide to move sideways freely and the degree of movement required is totally controlled by the shifter. The degree of movement between 10 and 11 speed shifters is obviously different because the space between 10 and 11 speed cassette cogs is different. And of course this is why an 11 speed chain is thinner than a 10 speed one.

However, I can see no reason why an 11 speed RD would not work with 10 speed shifters and a 10 speed cassette. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^I agree with this. With a 10sp cassette the shifter must be 10 speed. The pull ratio is different. Nothing in the system cares about whether the derailleur is 10 or 11 speed, except maybe if the low/high stop screws don't have the travel to adjust correctly. They probably do. Probably. I'd try it.

Something unforeseen could still go wrong which could adversely affect shifting, but on the face of it there's nothing in here that wouldn't work. Just make sure the stops are right especially the inner stop, and the chain is correct length. You don't want the chain sucked into the spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 speed rear mech with a 10sp cassette/chain/shifters [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monsrider wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I do not believe it matters whether the RD is 10 or 11 speed for a 10 speed setup as long as you set the inner and outer limits appropriately. The spring on either RD that controls movement allows the guide to move sideways freely and the degree of movement required is totally controlled by the shifter. The degree of movement between 10 and 11 speed shifters is obviously different because the space between 10 and 11 speed cassette cogs is different. And of course this is why an 11 speed chain is thinner than a 10 speed one.

However, I can see no reason why an 11 speed RD would not work with 10 speed shifters and a 10 speed cassette. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

I've done it and it doesn't work, bought an 11 speed derailleur for a 10 speed bike, put it on and it won't shift through the gears correctly.

By all means, try it yourself and report the results back to us.
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 23, 17 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny. I have researched this question many times because I need a new RD but want to go 11 speed so when I transition to full 11 the price will be less. I have heard those that said it will work and others have said it won't. This comes from Zinn which confirms what you said about Shimano not working, http://www.velonews.com/...compatibility_337803. From another article Zinn says "The shift activation ratio is the same on 11-speed and 10-speed SRAM road derailleurs." so it seems that SRAM would work that way for the OP.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply