Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which wheelset would you use for a draft-legal sprint
Quote | Reply
This is for the upcoming Sarasota-Bradenton triathlon in March for my daughter. This is the first time she does that race so I don't know if it's typically windy that time of the year, and what the road course condition is to worry about punctures. The bike is a Cervelo S5, and the wheelset choices are:

ENVE 4.5 clinchers with Conti GP4000s 25c
Zipp FC 404 tubular with Conti Competition 22c
American Classic Road Tubeless with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 25c (or something similar)

I can also switch out the clincher tires on the ENVE or the AC if there are better choices. Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Last edited by: dalava: Feb 23, 17 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheelset would you use for a draft-legal sprint [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be down there for that event with athletes.

Yes it is usually windy and they ride essentially on the "greenway" around the lake. Also they come over one bridge that at times has caused a *few* punctures.

You could ride either one of those zipps or Enve's, just also have a set in the wheel pit *just in case*. There aren't all that many pinch flats, but sometimes the very small lip of the bridge I've seen caused a few issues...happened to an pro I was coaching at the time a few years back.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheelset would you use for a draft-legal sprint [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it normally windy enough that you will be concerned about using 50-60mm deep wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheelset would you use for a draft-legal sprint [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is she and how is she w handling skills within a pack? I think there will be wind. If she's young young (like youth elite athlete), 60+ deep wheel may be issue. Basically Sarasota is simply out in open. So it's compounded there unlike clermont where the treeline can sorta block it. But in sarasota it's literally all on the lake so no where to hide from wind.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which ever you comfortable with replacing if a wreck happens.

Anyways my wheels are 50mm deep and that seems just fine for drafting. Fast but not too deep that any turbulence moves/shakes me.

As for the tires, I'm on conti 4000s 25c and they hold the road very well
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheelset would you use for a draft-legal sprint [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
How old is she and how is she w handling skills within a pack? I think there will be wind. If she's young young (like youth elite athlete), 60+ deep wheel may be issue. Basically Sarasota is simply out in open. So it's compounded there unlike clermont where the treeline can sorta block it. But in sarasota it's literally all on the lake so no where to hide from wind.

She's only 16 so not very strong in terms of handling the deep wheels, but has done a few of the elite races before. I might bring both, the Zipps and a set of low profile alloy light weight wheels, just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! I really like the venue for the swim and run. Ehhh on the bike course but should be good race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply