Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude is rolling like Vic Mackey from the Shield. He probably thinks the rules of society don't apply to him like Vic Mackey.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Possible, but stupid from another direction if true.

It would mean he followed that kid all the way through the neighborhood before grabbing him. And there's no reason to drag him back to the house if the cops have been called. Even if it was necessary to grab the kid, just hold him until the cops show up. Dumb.

There seemed to be lots of stupidity in there but what really stuck out to me was it seemed like he was holding the kid as a shield or hostage when the police did show.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Yeah, your outrage is duly noted. Thanks for participating.

wow that was really witty. definatley, put me in my place, thanks, you add so much incredible insight to this.
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had an unstable cop down the street when I was young. Police would show up about every other month because he'd hit his wife. When I was around 10 years old his son (8 or 9) was on top of a younger kid banging his dead into the street. I pushed the cops son off the other boy and he ran inside and got his Dad. The cop came out mad as hell and told his son to throw rocks at us. Then he followed us home yelling at us and told us he was going to beat the hell out of my Dad. Thankfully my Dad wasn't home because even if he won the fight there would have been legal hell to follow. The cop filed assault charges against me, a 10 year old. We had to go to court and jump through hoops to get the charges dropped and the records expunged. The legal system will almost always side with cops.
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my take. The cop wanted to flex his 'authority' and show 'em who was in charge. When the rest of the teenagers didn't fall in line and scamper away scared he was left with the option of continuing what he was doing or else let the teenager go. If he would've let the kid go then he would've lost face and that would blow his 'Charles in charge' act. So here we are.

The last time I was stopped by a cop was at the Tour of California bike race a couple of years ago. The street was closed off to traffic and a couple of us crossed to the other side for a better angle of the peloton coming through. The cop in charge of the intersection yelled at us because he didn't give everyone the all clear to cross (even though the lead cars were 5 minutes away and there was no traffic whatsoever) so he pulled all of us over and demanded our driver's license and went back to his squad car to run them through. I thought that was a little heavy handed but he sure let us know that he was in charge that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those comments are a little over the top. The only one that I'd agree with is the 'you almost killed my child'. Yeah, a foot to the right or left and he might of...

BLeP wrote:
I am not defending the cop but these statements are just absurd.

Quote:
'My son is alive today, but if he would have not fought for his life along with those other children, he would be in a morgue right now.

If the cop wanted your son to be dead, he'd probably be dead.

Quote:

'You almost killed my child. Stop shooting our kids. This is my son. He is 13 years old. He was not armed.

Nobody shot your kid.

Quote:
'He (the officer) was, he pulled out, he reached for his weapon, he intended to use it.'

You can read the cops mind? If he intended to use it, then why didn't he use it?

What we know is that he fired one shot. What we don't know is where he fired that shot. Was it at the kids? Into the air? Straight into the ground?

My guess was that it was an ill advised "warning shot".
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Although, after watching the video, he was attacked by multiple people. But why was he dragging the guy to begin with? If he witness illegal behavior and intervened, why didn't he identify himself as a cop?

My understanding is this:

Kids walking home in group, some of them, including a girl, walked on the guy's lawn. Probably something that happens everyday and something he's already pissed about. He yells at her to get off the lawn, using some profanity. Punk kid responds with either, "I could sue you" or "I could shoot you." Off duty cop hears, "I could shoot you" and decides that's enough of a threat to make an arrest. That's why he's holding on to the kid, and the kid is resisting.

It's possible that in off duty cop's mind, he thinks the kid might actually have a gun. Who knows?

A couple other kids try to intervene, and attack. Cop pulls gun. Cop arguably fears for his life, as he's now being attacked by others and he possible thinks the kid has a gun. Gun either goes off or a warning shot, either one of which is problematic.

What we don't know or see is how the cop attempted to make the arrest in the first place. Did he just run out and grab the kid? Or did he present a badge? You'd think that if the officer truly believed the kid may have had a gun, he would have immediately drawn his weapon then, rather than try to subdue the kid first.
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [macbain_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macbain_tri wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Don't disagree with any of that. Pretty clear the guy screwed up in multiple ways.

But I'm the only one who's curious why the cops is dragging the kid all the way down the block? What's the thought process there? Dragging him to his mom or something?

I can tell you why I think he was dragging him around. its only my opinion.
he was dragging him away because he was furious that the 13yr old kid didn't "respect" him or his feeling of authority. He wanted to somehow make a point and have the 13 yr old boy realize his error and be contrite. he was dragging him because he hadn't figured out how to accomplish that yet.

again my opinion, most likely wrong, maybe it was some kind of weird mating/dominance ritual to prove his dominance over the other males to impress the hot chick living next door to finally give him that sweet BJ and rimming he has been craving??

As I pointed out, the kid either said, "I could sue you" or "I could shoot you." Off duty officer thought he heard the latter and decided to detain and arrest the kid. But you'd think a trained officer would know how to properly detain someone who he thought might have a gun and had just threatened to shoot without some grabbing match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly all my interactions with police over the years have been positive, and the officers extremely professional. I think that's the standard.

I understand there is a mentality that in all situations, officers have to take a superior and authoritative tone in order to maintain control of the situation. I understand that. It's unfortunate that a few officers think that also mean being unprofessional and rude.

I'll stand up for most California police. While there are exceptions and still some problems, officer training standards are really high. Police here are well trained. Sure, there's still room for improvement, but knock California for all the other shit, police here are much better than a lot of other places.
Quote Reply
Re: Get off my lawn - LA Edition [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Although, after watching the video, he was attacked by multiple people. But why was he dragging the guy to begin with? If he witness illegal behavior and intervened, why didn't he identify himself as a cop?

My understanding is this:

Kids walking home in group, some of them, including a girl, walked on the guy's lawn. Probably something that happens everyday and something he's already pissed about. He yells at her to get off the lawn, using some profanity. Punk kid responds with either, "I could sue you" or "I could shoot you." Off duty cop hears, "I could shoot you" and decides that's enough of a threat to make an arrest. That's why he's holding on to the kid, and the kid is resisting.

It's possible that in off duty cop's mind, he thinks the kid might actually have a gun. Who knows?

A couple other kids try to intervene, and attack. Cop pulls gun. Cop arguably fears for his life, as he's now being attacked by others and he possible thinks the kid has a gun. Gun either goes off or a warning shot, either one of which is problematic.

What we don't know or see is how the cop attempted to make the arrest in the first place. Did he just run out and grab the kid? Or did he present a badge? You'd think that if the officer truly believed the kid may have had a gun, he would have immediately drawn his weapon then, rather than try to subdue the kid first.

Just watched an update on this story and this (what you say above) is what they said investigation has revealed thus far. The cop says the kid said, "I could shoot you." The kid claims he said, "I could sue you."

Still no "official" word on the reason for the shot being fired, but it sure seems like negligent discharge to me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point of Order:

"OC" edition. That's fucking Anaheim, where Mickey lives!!

Carry on...
Quote Reply

Prev Next