Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NASA finds 7 earth like planets [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Fleck wrote:
I find stuff like this extraordinarily fascinating.

It's doubtful that much will come from this in my life-time other than knowing a few more details, but when you starting thinking bigger about things like this - how truly bigger the universe is and what the potential is for find some other form of "life", possibly even intelligent life like us, it's definitely a possibility and somewhat daunting!

. . . but . . those emails! :)

I guess given the sheer numbers of stars and planets out there it's probably a statistical certainty that some other sort of self-aware intelligent life is out there but....

It took the better part of 3 billion years for multi-cellular life to evolve from single celled organism and then another 600 million years for something smarter than an ape to come along, and then a couple hundred thousand years for that one-off species to develop the cultural knowledge to understand and contemplate space travel. So at least in the n of 1 we know about some species like us appears to be exceedingly rare and even for 99% of our existence even with our brain power it didn't lead to the science/technology to understand the workings of the universe.

Ah, but that still just boils down to a math problem in the end.... You may be presenting a super tiny fraction, but if you multiply it by a big enough numerator, then the probability is no longer tiny, or even fractional.

Yeah but we don't know the probability of two significant "state changes" occurring because all we have is an n of 1 here on earth. I would argue both are probably very rare given of the billion upon billions of species that have existed each (as far as we know) has only occurred once; multi-cellular life and language.
Quote Reply
Re: NASA finds 7 earth like planets [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Fleck wrote:

It's doubtful that much will come from this in my life-time other than knowing a few more details, but when you starting thinking bigger about things like this - how truly bigger the universe is and what the potential is for find some other form of "life", possibly even intelligent life like us, it's definitely a possibility and somewhat daunting!

I guess given the sheer numbers of stars and planets out there it's probably a statistical certainty that some other sort of self-aware intelligent life is out there but....

It took the better part of 3 billion years for multi-cellular life to evolve from single celled organism and then another 600 million years for something smarter than an ape to come along, and then a couple hundred thousand years for that one-off species to develop the cultural knowledge to understand and contemplate space travel. So at least in the n of 1 we know about some species like us appears to be exceedingly rare and even for 99% of our existence even with our brain power it didn't lead to the science/technology to understand the workings of the universe.

Ah, but that still just boils down to a math problem in the end.... You may be presenting a super tiny fraction, but if you multiply it by a big enough numerator, then the probability is no longer tiny, or even fractional.

Yeah but we don't know the probability of two significant "state changes" occurring because all we have is an n of 1 here on earth. I would argue both are probably very rare given of the billion upon billions of species that have existed each (as far as we know) has only occurred once; multi-cellular life and language.

I honestly don't know about the probability of intelligent life on other planets, but you are wrong on at least one count: multicellular life has developed independently many times during the history of the earth. Plants, fungi and animals are three examples of multicellular organisms that everybody knows :-) and they all have developed into multicellular forms from unicellular progenitors independently of each other. But there are actually many more lesser known examples: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/.../bies.201200143/full

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: NASA finds 7 earth like planets [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Fleck wrote:

I honestly don't know about the probability of intelligent life on other planets, but you are wrong on at least one count: multicellular life has developed independently many times during the history of the earth. Plants, fungi and animals are three examples of multicellular organisms that everybody knows :-) and they all have developed into multicellular forms from unicellular progenitors independently of each other. But there are actually many more lesser known examples: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/.../bies.201200143/full

Cheers,
malte

Thanks, I stand corrected then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Um, you must be new here. When someone points out that you are wrong you are supposed to double down and call them names.

Please do better next time.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: NASA finds 7 earth like planets [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Um, you must be new here. When someone points out that you are wrong you are supposed to double down and call them names.

Please do better next time.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. I'm working off of probably 30 year old high school biology knowledge on this one :)

Although (in attempt to save face) it's still true that it took a very long time for multicellarity to evolve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But it really only took a "long" time relative to our perception of scale... When we have what appears to be a very low probability based on billions of examples here on Earth, you gotta pivot and try to grasp that billions or even trillions of species is still a tiny sample size across the entire universe.

And based on the fundamental concepts of natural selection, evolution is not 'optional' ~ mutations themselves may be random, so you can't say that humans or any other life form is a 'required' outcome or endpoint, but the fact of evolution is imperative in the sense that natural selection never takes days off, so once you have genesis, some type of higher-order organism is at least probable if not inevitable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next