Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to balance 4 runs, 4 rides, 3 swims per week
Quote | Reply
I'm currently in a base phase working towards an an end of August Ironman. The last 10 weeks I've been doing 3 runs, 3 rides and 4 swims a week (with no planned rest day). My plan is to spend the next 12 doing 4 runs, 4 rides, and 3 swims. I'm following the trainerroad ironman base for the bike, and I know they have a schedule for runs and swims as well, but I'm wondering what the collective slowtwitch thought is in terms of scheduling this.

My plan would be to increase slowly (~10%) over the next 12 weeks with a rest week every 4th week. My goal is (a) have a decent base so I hit the build hard (b) not beat myself up or get injured the past few weeks. My concern is how to best balance the runs and rides so I'm able to put quality efforts in (and not completely trash my legs). I've typically done the long run and long ride on back-to-back days with no real issues, but was trying to put together a plan where they are separated as I thought I might arrive at the build phase healthier (or less trashed). I put a couple ideas below, but was wondering what other people out there are doing and how it worked out for you.

Mon:
Off
Tue:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Run 100
Wed:
(AM) Bike 60
(PM) Run 30
Thu:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Run 60
Fri:
Bike 90
Sat:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Bike 90
Sun:
Bike 180 + Run 30 (brick)

or

Mon:
Off
Tues:
(AM) Bike 60
(PM) Run 30
Wed:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Run 100
Thu:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Bike 90
Fri:
Run 60
Sat:
(AM) Swim
(PM) Bike 90
Sun:
Bike 180 + Run 30

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to balance 4 runs, 4 rides, 3 swims per week [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should ditch that Monday off and add another swim or move Tuesday swim to Monday. I haven't had a planned day off like that in years but pretty much always start off with a swim Monday. My schedule currently looks a bit like this with a few tweaks here and there.

Monday: Swim AM Easy Bike PM
Tuesday: Run w/ intervals
Wednesday: Swim AM Run PM
Thursday: Bike w/intervals
Friday: Swim AM Run PM
Saturday: Bike and Run
Sunday: Run and longer bike

I will be close to 13 hours with that. Some days will be switched around but taking that off day out you open up another day to get some active recovery and spread the workouts out during the week. It has helped me feel more fresh during the week and if at any point I feel really run down then you can give yourself a day off.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to balance 4 runs, 4 rides, 3 swims per week [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like rest days. For me it's a mental break as much as anything else. I get to lie-in. I also relax the diet a little.

Mon - am run, pm bike
Tues - swim, run
Wed - run, bike
Thurs - swim, run
Fri - = Faturday. Do nothing. Eat lots. Sleep in. Woo hoo!
Saturday - run, swim (pool doesn't open until 10am), bike (yep that order 'cos I am a dedicated supporter of parkrun. I run before parkrun for anything up to 30km (yes it is an early start), finish off with a fast 5km.
Sun - Run, bike, and sometimes another run/swim.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply