Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running hydration pack recommendations
Quote | Reply
Im looking for a recommendation for a running hydration pack. I have a Nathan Firecather and like it a lot but it does not have enough storage for longer runs on trails and the woods. I like having the bottles in front of the pack and dont need/want a bladder system. Looking to carry an extra jacket, socks, gloves, hat and food. Looked at the Nathan Zelos but cant tell how much storage it provides. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello bfinz and All,

I am going to try this one when it comes out .....

https://www.kickstarter.com/...on-pack-fast-forward

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Feb 22, 17 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look weird, but I really like my Orange Mud Hydraquiver. They have various designs depending on how much you want to carry. I use just the single barrel model. I use the shoulder pouches for gels, sunglasses, etc. The back compartment doesn't hold a ton of stuff but can take on other items. The standard water bottle makes it simple. But as I said, they have other options that might be more suited for you... two bottles, vest options, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've logged 500 training miles and a few trail races in the Salomon S-Lab Racing Vest (12L) and I love it. Fits like a glove. No issues. Pricey, but so so nice. Bought mine on eBay for slight discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a big fan of UltrAspire for a wee while. Good range and very comfortable so you should find one that suits.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used Ultraspire, and now ultimate direction for ultras
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimate direction would be my pick. Salomon vests fit better but are not really designed to use bottles in front, just soft flasks. The UD vests fit either without a problem. Probably the AK mountain vest 3.0 is the right size for what you're describing, although the PB 3.0 vest is only slightly heavier, and has multiple liters more storage in case you needed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a 50 and 100 with a Camelbak Ultra vest. Countless training miles. It has loops that you ca add parachute cord to make net on the back for a jacket. I also have the firecatcher, which I consider nice for shorter runs. I prefer the bladder, but you can add bottles in the front pockets too.

Nathan has a really cool pack coming out VaporKarr. That might be next for me. If I keep doing this crazy stuff.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a camel bak marathon vest and like it a lot. Good for my one (and only ultra) and all that MF training.....

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [Raiyen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raiyen wrote:
I've logged 500 training miles and a few trail races in the Salomon S-Lab Racing Vest (12L) and I love it. Fits like a glove. No issues. Pricey, but so so nice. Bought mine on eBay for slight discount.

Also love the Salomon S-Lab Racing Vest

Much prefer the soft flasks to normal water bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [Raiyen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raiyen wrote:

^^^^^^ +++1
I've been through a wide selection and settled on my S-lab ADV SKIN3 -5. (the 5 liter capacity version) No other pack fits like this one. Nice and snug, plenty of storage options. Just make sure to get it in the proper size! Same size as the t shirts you wear... Best money I've spent year to date! The vest comes with soft flask for the front pockets, or you can put your hard bottles into the same pockets, but the soft flasks are genious if you ask me.
I've got 2 years, 5 trail marathons, 5 50ks, and a million long and short runs on this thing and still love it. I'll bring it for almost every run, long or short, on the trail.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might not be big enough for you but naked running belt is awesome. Can hold up to 4 soft flasks but I usually do one on each side then have front and back for other stuff and back loops for jacket when needed. I find it to be super versatile and chafe-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Ultimate Direction AK pack. Very light, holds two full-size bottles and "can" hold a bladder if you want, but has minimal storage. Good for racing. If you want similar, but with a bit more storage, the UD SJ vest would fit the bill.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, bfinz,

I have put together a list of best selling hydration pack here.

If you are still looking for one, based on your requirements, I think, the most suitable for you would be Nathan VaporAir Race Vest.

Cheers ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the mountain hardware model. Inexpensive!
, it's excelllent and fits your needs bladder though is sold separate...which is good since than you have options do water volume. I just received the. Ew Nathan vaporkrar and it is sooo light. Same storage space that u desire (me too) but fits like a t shirt/Salomon vest others like. Worth a look!
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [GeorgeW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is awesome guys, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried:
an old school Camelbak
a running specific Camelbak
an Ultraspire Alpha

None of them come close to my Orangemud Hydraquiver. (I have a friend pickier than me when it comes to this stuff and Hydraquiver is what he ended up with as well.)

The hydraquiver is so comfortable that I'll even use it on supported races just so I have my own hydration mix. I'll even use it on shorter runs just in case I go longer.

I did a 50k TNF trail race with my Ultraspire and filling up at the aid stations was a PITA. I decided then and there I'd never go back to a bladder.

Running with the OM Hydraquiver a year later in the 50M version was an absolute pleasure. Arriving at the aid each station (5-7miles) I just open the bottle and fill it quickly.

With the bladder packs I always felt I had a constricted chest and I was constantly looking for a chance to take them off to cool down.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second UltraSpire. Have used them for up to 50 milers and have never tired of wearing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the UD SJ 2.0 vest and have used it for up to 50 miles. Has the 2 H2O bottle pockets in the front and a small storage space in the back for whatever. Will also accommodate a bladder if you need one. It works fine. No complaints. Make sure you try some on to get a good fit though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd ask what you're using the hydration pack for.

If it's hardcore ultras where you have to carry a lot of stuff, the pricey options above work well.

If you're just using it for long runs like marathon or IM training where you want to stay light/minimalist, carrying nothing in there except maybe keys an a gel, this actually works well and is a fraction of the cost of everything above

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1X8ON4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually having been using this weekly for the past 5 months during my pure marathon training of 70-90mpw. I like it because it really is super-lightweight and minimalist, but it wouldn't be so good for an ultra or trail event where you need to carry 'stuff' other than water/gels.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 20, 17 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: Running hydration pack recommendations [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would be using it for longer trail runs would i would need to carry everything with me; food, water, wallet, keys, and and extra layers needed. i like having bottles in the front and would not use a bladder system
Quote Reply