Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trip to South Africa - buy a bike frame?
Quote | Reply
I'll be going to South Africa in August for vacationing with the wife. A friend of mine mentioned that I should buy cycling items while I'm there since the USD is doing so well against the Rand. If this is true, I thought I'd pick up a nice road bike frame.

1) Is my friend correct that there's savings for someone coming to SA from the US, spending USD? I assume that when the rand goes down against the USD that South Africans just get screwed, rather than the prices staying the same and we gain.

2) Are there any bike brands or frames I should look for? It'd be cool to get something that you can only get in South Africa. If not a bike frame, maybe a cycling kit?

We'll be flying into Cape Town, driving south east to shark dive, then flying to Johannesburg and spending time with friends in Durban before flying home to San Francisco.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trip to South Africa - buy a bike frame? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm heading to IMSA at the end of March. My registration in USD$ including the processing fee was about $411. I'm not in the market for a frame, but yeah, that's the cheapest I've ever paid for a full.
Quote Reply
Re: Trip to South Africa - buy a bike frame? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to say "enjoy the trip". I agree, it was cheaper for me to go solo to IM South Africa than taking my family for a long weekend to IMLP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:

2) Are there any bike brands or frames I should look for? It'd be cool to get something that you can only get in South Africa. If not a bike frame, maybe a cycling kit?

https://swiftcarbon.com/bikes/bike/hypervox/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget?
Quote Reply
Re: Trip to South Africa - buy a bike frame? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev! The airfare is the biggest expense on this trip; and I'm not looking forward to all that time in the air (Tampa to NYC to Johannesburg to PE). But this time of year in Tampa is perfect for an IM build so if I can execute well, I hope to have a good result.

I've read about the lodging situation at IMLP and would guess that I am staying at a much, much better quality resort hotel for half the price I would pay in NY.

r/Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it cost you anything to get back into the USA? I know of friends who bought stuff in other countries and had to declare it when returning and pay a duty. Of course that's been many years ago so maybe that's not applicable.
Quote Reply