Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels?
Quote | Reply
What brands produce good quality 60mm race wheels for relatively cheap? Preferably in the range of $800 or less
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo seems to be the go to brand for high quality, modest price in the US.
A quick look at their site shows the alloy+carbon wheels are $449 front and $499 rear. So slightly above your budget but perhaps viable if a sale comes around.

When you say "carbon race wheels" in the thread title are you specifying they must be full carbon versus an alloy rim and carbon fairing or are you open to either?
I would be of the opinion that full carbon wheels don't make a whole lot of sense despite their popularity. They are slightly lighter but inferior for braking, probably a shorter life-span (due to brake track) and no difference in terms of aerodynamics. On flat terrain, the weight doesn't matter much, in the hills braking is more important. Plus I'm pretty sure alloy rims are more durable and usually cheaper for comparable quality. Flo, Swiss Side and HED all do excellent examples around the size you're looking at. There are probably others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of Chinese wheels from Carbonspeedcycle on eBay about 2 years ago.l for ~$550 shipped. So far they've been bombproof. Would buy again.

I also picked up some Flos of classified for my wife's bike. She didn't want to mess with changing brake pads. They've been great too. For $800 I'd go one of those 2 routes. Just my 2¢.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure to check out Swiss Side Hadrons as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JeffreyIThink wrote:
What brands produce good quality 60mm race wheels for relatively cheap? Preferably in the range of $800 or less

Profile Design has the 1/Fifty carbon clincher wheelset that fits your criteria if you're handy with discount codes

ETA: Trisports with 15% off code SHARE15 makes it $850 shipped if you have a little backorder patience

http://www.trisports.com/...incher-wheelset.html
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Feb 22, 17 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just placed an order with light-bicycle.com. You can get a pair of 60mm rims for around $410 after shipping.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a pair from Light Bicycle, went with 45 front 55 rear. Happy as can be with them, use them every day. You can't beat the price and quality seems just fine as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are into tubular these are great wheels. I am selling my #2 set that I have in the city. Not used much at all. I used them in the summer for fun:

http://www.ebay.com/...c:g:BxsAAOSw9GhYfqJf

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take a guess that for your budget and with a good bit of shopping around you could build a set up WITH a PowerTap hub (if the GS's are still cheap ?).

I am UK based and have just done similar with a set of 88's - a little over your budget but I could have done some bits cheaper and some of the costs would have been better over the pond anyway :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [BJGoCougs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJGoCougs wrote:
I also have a pair from Light Bicycle, went with 45 front 55 rear. Happy as can be with them, use them every day. You can't beat the price and quality seems just fine as well.

These guys are now operating from the USA aren't they?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard that. My understanding is it's all in China.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoleo
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are still in China, that is where the wheels came from when I ordered them.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [BJGoCougs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJGoCougs wrote:
I believe they are still in China, that is where the wheels came from when I ordered them.

https://us.lightbicycle.com/lb-shop/

Quote Reply
Re: Affordable 60mm carbon race wheels? [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Be sure to check out Swiss Side Hadrons as well.
That's what I use.
Alloy/Carbon Hadrons 625 front, 800+ rear.

If the price is right, go for it. I've been very happy with them. My understanding was that Flo was better value in the US and the Swiss Sides worked out better in Europe. That was definitely the case just over a year ago when I got mine.
Quote Reply