Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT sanctioning [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the only reason why run races certify their courses is to get qualifying status more than anything.
---

If you are living in a running world where the only race is the marathon, then your post makes sense. However, USATF certifies races of all distances and it is part of the process if you are going to operate under the USATF umbrella. There is no need to certify a 5k running race. It won't qualify you for anything. But the process guarantees that the race is an actual 5k.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the RDs try and force their venues to standard distances. I'm comfortable with the variations. I'd like to see my USAT fee be used for something like certifying a course so that the 6.8 mile run on the brochure is an actual 6.8 mile run. Certification would be an accountability piece on the RD to provide the product that they advertised.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioning [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But all running events are focused specifically on your time because it's specific distances. So all run events have standard distances so you can race for a "pr". It's why you never see 4 mile races. What do you see 5k and then 5 miles, 10k, halfs. Every event is essentially set to specific event. Want to also know something else? You can find run race essentially every weekend in normal cities.

How many times do we hear about tri "world records"? Never, as I don't even think they have those on record, but most everyone knows 5k or marathon times.

So running is much easier to make races specific vs triathlons. So the OP talks about "besides race officiating and insurance".....that's a huge thing for triathlon much more than running.

Asking for course certs in this time I think is likely asking for more of a process then needs to be. How are you going to certify the swim course? Swim courses are *usually* set up morning of race. So when would all this get done?

ETA: But yes it's very annoying when a distance is X but it's way off. Last year at an itu race, the 5k wasn't even close. I even saw the ITU officials measuring the course the day before, and it was never corrected. Usually they are suppose to announce the actual distance at the race meeting, but didnt. It turned out to be 2.8ish instead of 3.1ish, which for the "runners" is a very big deal.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 26, 17 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioning [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that extra .75 miles in transition would just ruin the race for me, unless everyone had to do it. Then I'd be all for it. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioning [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I've never heard it referred to that.

I've always thought international = Olympic, vice versa.

That's my understanding, as well. The common 1.5k/20k/5k distance format pre-dates triathlon as an Olympic sport by a couple decades. The moniker "Olympic distance" is relatively new.

In my mind, it's still a "Bud Light" distance event ;).

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply

Prev Next