Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgro wrote:

From my limited understanding of how BBA works, this is what the packed bike looks like:

and this is Omni

I have marked with red arrows places on the frame, that Omni, or Ventum won't be able to offer for fastening (no downtube, huge toptube, huge flat area instead of seat tube). So effectivley the only places avaliable for fastening would be one side of a fork and a chainstay. Not a great tradeoff in terms of safety of transport with the Scicon in my opinion. Unless I am wrong about how BBA works, of course.

By the way, does the BBA also take disc wheel?

I have a Bikeboxalan which I have used for multiple flights, short haul and long haul. I highly recommend it.

Something like the Omni would be a problem though, because the Velcro straps would be too short to go round tubing of that width. But if you could find some fabric which had one sort of Velcro on one side and the other on the reverse, you've got an instant extension strap and should the able to secure the top tube and down tube.

It takes a disc wheel fine; you just have to leave out the anti crush pole. Which on the first trip leaves you a little anxious, but it's really not an issue. I've probably done more trips without the anti crush pole than with and never had a problem.

It's biggest drawback is gettnig an aero cockpit in it. For road bars I take the stem off the steerer and that's it. Really easy. But for aeros I have to do that, and take the aeros completely off the base bar. I now mark the positions of everything with tape before I take it to bits, which aids the re-assembly considerably, but it's a bit more of a PITA, especially considering how tight the bolts on the aeros have to go to stop them slipping.

Roadie is a 56cm Cervelo; tri is a 54cm Cervelo. Seat tube has to come out of the tri bike only because I have cages behind the saddle which are too wide to allow the box to close. It sits where the helmet is in the pic (where the box is deepest).
Last edited by: Greg66: Mar 12, 17 3:02
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly, but I did use it for my road bike on a trip last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Pika Packworks too, no issues whatsoever over the past 7 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 A plus vote for EVOC. You don't have to darn near tear down your entire bike to get it into this bag (unlike many other systems). Handles my L 29" MTB no problem with room to spare.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [FredP3stone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've an http://biknd.com/en/

Jetpack that does / has done longhaul 5-6 a year for 3-4 years, plus locals and connecting flights

Have taking gravel, road, enduro and TT bike

Its awesome

Have canyon bike case hard shell. More annoying to pack as discs have to be removed from grave and does not fit enduro
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I have both the Biknd Helium and Ruster Hen House Armored. If I am flying airline charges me reasonable bike fees ($<75), I take the Biknd every time. If I am flying airlines that are like bandits (e.g. United or Delta), then I will take the Ruster Hen House in the hope they only charge me as regular luggage, but that's chance are getting less and less.

Biknd's Helium is a very intriguing option, seemingly offering the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a soft case. I like the integrated chassis, the protective nose cone and protective base. The air bladder is a creative solution to reinforce the case and package everything together. It looks "solid" once packed. True?

What is your experience packing the bike? It appears that only minor disassembly is required, and in areas that protect the extremities such as the cockpit and derailleur.

What about the cockpit? The instructions indicate the cockpit should be removed and strapped to the fork. What is your experience there? Is that an effective approach?

Any insights into whether a larger TT bike such as my size 58P3 would fit?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Sbradley11 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I now use the Scicon Aerotech Evolution case.

https://www.probikekit.com/...l-case/10773683.html

+1 on this case. Used to use the Scicon soft case until my frame got cracked and the airline said tough luck. This hard case has been solid and only requires removing the aerobars, which isn't too difficult on the speed concept.

If you haven't done already, I highly suggest gluing a thick washer over the holes where the wheel skewers attach through the case. Will just be a matter of time before they will get punched through and possible cause damage to your wheel. Also get some spare wheels ahead of time because they will break as well. Mine only lasted about 9-10 trips before damage started. Otherwise, nicely designed case. Scicon will be of no help regarding warranty when damage starts.....will claim you must be subjecting it to abuse.

I get the sense you are not happy with Scicon. True? Tell me more. The Scicon Evolution appears to be a good hard shell option. No?

Scott[/quote
The case has protected the bike fine....never an issue with damage to the bike. I don't use airlines....much easier to ship by FedX and have bike delivered straight from home to hotel. I first looked at most other cases.....and narrowed down to the Scicon or BikeBox Alan. Got a deal on the Scicon. The only other case I would consider is the Bike Box Alan.....similar design but I'm not aware of the same skewer and wheel issues (may have but I'm just not aware).....or maybe the case sold by Premier Tactical (looks similar). I remember BikeBoxAlan telling me the pole is just extra protection as I could not use with my disc. If you (or anyone) decides on this case (Scicon)....you need to reinforce the skewer holes with washers and reinforce where the wheels screw in the case with small metal L brackets or something similar from Home Depot. As I said, Scicon is no help if you have a problem......will claim you must be abusing the case and warranty won't cover.
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 13, 17 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a hard case works for you - ours is very nice. We will have inventory mid May.

The difference between our case and every other case on the market is 1. You don't have to take the front end apart with our case; basebar can say in place 2. you can fit a rear wheel and two front wheels. Our case is stronger than most using ABSPC and is reasonably light - 39 lbs with our bike in it; 3. comes with rear mech protector. There is plenty of room for your other items.

It has a TSA lock and a combo lock. The most I have been charged is $50.00 by airlines and I have done about 20 trips with it.

The holes that the quick releases attach the wheels with are reinforced with alloy washers.

Another difference is that I have been an active member of this site for 10 years and will come on this site and answer any questions and address any issue you may have. I can't say our products will be perfect every time but I will guarantee that you have access to the owner of the company and I will make sure your issues are resolved (bike, wheels, travel case or optimized chain).

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
dalava wrote:
I have both the Biknd Helium and Ruster Hen House Armored. If I am flying airline charges me reasonable bike fees ($<75), I take the Biknd every time. If I am flying airlines that are like bandits (e.g. United or Delta), then I will take the Ruster Hen House in the hope they only charge me as regular luggage, but that's chance are getting less and less.

Biknd's Helium is a very intriguing option, seemingly offering the protection of a hard case and the convenience of a soft case. I like the integrated chassis, the protective nose cone and protective base. The air bladder is a creative solution to reinforce the case and package everything together. It looks "solid" once packed. True?

What is your experience packing the bike? It appears that only minor disassembly is required, and in areas that protect the extremities such as the cockpit and derailleur.

What about the cockpit? The instructions indicate the cockpit should be removed and strapped to the fork. What is your experience there? Is that an effective approach?

Any insights into whether a larger TT bike such as my size 58P3 would fit?

Scott

I just got back from the Sarasota Draft Legal race last night with my daughter (who raced the youth elite). I packed her bike (51cm Cervelo S5 with 2 sets of wheels), all in the Biknd Helium v4 case with room to spare. All you have to remove are:
- Saddle with seatpost
- Pedals
- Handlebar with stem
- RD from the hanger

Everything was protected very well. TSA typically will open the case to inspect, but with the big zippers and protective nose, it's easy for them to open and not mess things up.

It normally takes me no more than 15 minutes to pack/unpack. You need a little bit of room to lay the case out, so I normally do it in the parking lot or the lobby of the hotel (if allowed).

Since my daughter races draft legal exclusively, she doesn't have an aero bar, so I don't have experience with packing with TT bikes or handlebars with extended aero bar. From how the handlebar is being fasten to fork/headtube when packing, I would imagine that the aero bar would probably need to be disassembled for packing.

Overall, I can't be happier with the Biknd case. I would still prefer to use it even if I didn't have carry two wheelsets.

Hope this helps. I got the case from a retailer on Ebay from Quebec, and they were great to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott - did you get the aerocomfort "road" 3.0 or the "triathlon" 3.0? Do you know if a road bike will fit in the triathlon bag? It seems like the triathlon bag would be better since you don't have to remove the tri bars. I'm looking for one case to use for my road and tri bikes (P5 and R5) size 54's.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [PYork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Aerocomfort Triathlon 3.0. The case will transport a road bike or a tri-bike with cockpit assembled.

I have a serious case of buyer's remorse (no pun intended) and am considering selling the bag. I'm traveling to a remote race in Norway and have decided I want a more secure option.

I was planning to list the case in the classifieds. Send me a PM if you want to make a deal. The case is unused, unboxed just a week ago.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Please note its always important to remove the handlebars when travelling with bikes. If you look at most airline bike luggage policies they require you to turn the handlebars sideways. 99% of the time check in agents dont check for this however if your bike gets damage at least you can try to claim against the airline.

From United: The following are bicycle restrictions:
  • Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed.

From Air Canada:Packing instructions

• The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles)

etc etc
thks
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [bikndtravelcase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting today. I also want to thank you for promptly responding to my email yesterday about the weight of the Jetpack compared to the Helium.

I too, will soon be purchasing one of your products!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [FredP3stone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the great input! I'm currently debating what to do for a trip to France this summer. I currently have the Dakine bag (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5177803). I've used the Dakine several times, but it's hard wheeling it around when you already have another wheeled duffle due to it's width.

Probikekit has a great deal now on the Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0. That seems like a much better solution for getting around (I'll be taking the train to London to see my sister before heading back to Paris), and it's pretty easy to pack/unpack the bike. I would probably keep the Dakine for my MTB.

The other idea would be to go with the Evoc Pro or Thule Round Trip (the Pro with integrated workstand is interesting), since it would handle all of my bikes. Then, I would sell the Dakine. Thoughts?

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:
jakesdk wrote:
Any of you guys with the armored hen house have a tri bike with an integrated front end? Dreading the disasembly a bit...

I use mine with a P5 and formally a Trek SC. I find the case especially ideal when traveling overseas (small cars and tight trains).

If you're uncomfortable with your mechanic skills than I wouldn't recommend.

Well, pretty happy to invest the time in learning what's needed. Good to know someone else is using it with these bikes. I plan to use it with a Canyon, but i assume it's more or less equally difficult to take these integrated front ends apart. I am mostly "worried" about the actual for removal, though.

Decided to practise dismantling the bike (Canyon) and packing it in the Armored hen house. Fork removal is very easy, but requires complete unmounting of front brake cable. Unfortunately, I can't see a way to re-run the brake cable due to the ends of the cable coming undone and thus being very difficult to reroute through two very narrow segments (1) through a bolt that is part of holding the base bar to the fork and (2) through the sledge, which is part of the front brake.

Decided to get a new bag for the canyon. Faith of AHH is undecided. Might keep it for travelling with other bikes, might not (if any of you are DK based and want to take it off my hands, let me know :))
Last edited by: jakesdk: Mar 27, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in Denmark do you live? And what price do you request?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Airplane Travel Case/Bag [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi pad - you've got a PB
Quote Reply

Prev Next