Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tell me about cycling in vegas
Quote | Reply
I'm there in two weeks and will have all of Saturday to myself.

I'd like to rent a (road) bike and go riding.. so:

I've come up with Las Vegas Cyclery, Pro Cyclery, and Broken Spoke as options to rent a good road bike - any thoughts on these or others? I'll be bringing my own helmet, shoes, and kit.

Then where should I go ride? Couple of things to consider:

- I'll have a car and don't mind driving far out of the city
- recovering from a fibular stress fracture so want to keep it pretty flat
- I have all day
- I've run in Red Rock Canyon before which was nice. if it's a great place to ride I don't mind going back but I'd also like to explore other parts and also don't want to ride in the city.. I do plenty of that at home.

any advice is appreciated,
Quote Reply
Re: tell me about cycling in vegas [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I rented from Pro Cyclery in Vegas, found one of the local cycling clubs that met Saturday morning and joined them for their ride. I'm pretty sure the bike was a giant Defy. I really don't remember the name of the club at this point, but they took me out to Red Rock. That was a blast for someone from South Florida used to pancake flat rides. There's a ton of roadies out there and I'm sure the flo guys might chime in since they're based out of there. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I was out there, I went with Bike Blast. They will bring the bike to you. You can choose to have a guide or go by yourself. I went with the guide (they have several options for places to go) to Valley of Fire, which was cool. I liked having a guide, as I don't know the area, and so it felt safer to have someone to ride with. There are several different options for locations, based on what you are looking for. They provide hydration. I'd happily use them again next time I'm out there.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year during a visit to Vegas, I brought my bike and did ride the Red Rock Canyon loop. It was about 14.6 miles with 1355 ft of elevation. I loved it and would have done multiple loops if my family hadn't wanted to leave. You could actually park well outside and ride to/from the visitor center as the shoulder is plenty wide to ride safely. I saw many bikes when driving to the center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up the gran fondo route. Did that last year. Amazing ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented from Mcghie's in South Summerlin. Super Six Evo.
Rode west on the 160 and climbed up to Mountain Springs. Back down and on to the 159 past Red Rock and back to the store. Somewhere around 90km. If you went into Red Rock you could make it well over 100km with plenty more climbing.
If you decide to go into Red Rock, take some money. $3 entrance fee for bikes.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Las Vegas Cyclery all the way. Best service in the city. They run tours if you need that but the easiest thing is probably to get an uber out there and ride from there. Location is ten minutes by bike from the "edge" of town and then you can hear out on hwy 159 which will be a good warmup for the Red Rock Scenic Loop. 13 miles start to finish, great climbs for the first 5 miles and then you can pretty much hammer the rest. You can then head out to Blue Diamond and loop back and this will give you a good 2.5-3 hrs depending on how hard you want to go. Enjoy, but ride safe, there are some crazy drivers out here. You can also fill bottles for free at Crave, a nice spot at the corner of Charleston and Desert Foothills (same complex as Broken Spoke).
Quote Reply
Re: tell me about cycling in vegas [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't really find anything flat, but you do have some fun options,
there's River Mountain Lake Trail, you can do up to 33 miles without having to get on the road.
For closer to flat, head out to lake mead, and you can ride from toll booth to toll both and back for about 25. These are in Henderson.
Check out Green Valley cyclists, I think they have a ride on Saturdays, have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: tell me about cycling in vegas [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lots of good suggestions and looks like plenty of options.

Thanks everyone, now here's to hoping the weather is ok..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
I'm there in two weeks and will have all of Saturday to myself.

I'd like to rent a (road) bike and go riding.. so:

I've come up with Las Vegas Cyclery, Pro Cyclery, and Broken Spoke as options to rent a good road bike - any thoughts on these or others? I'll be bringing my own helmet, shoes, and kit.

Then where should I go ride? Couple of things to consider:

- I'll have a car and don't mind driving far out of the city
- recovering from a fibular stress fracture so want to keep it pretty flat
- I have all day
- I've run in Red Rock Canyon before which was nice. if it's a great place to ride I don't mind going back but I'd also like to explore other parts and also don't want to ride in the city.. I do plenty of that at home.

any advice is appreciated,

Definitely can't go wrong with renting from Las Vegas Cyclery. They are very close to Red Rock Canyon riding which can be "flat-ish" if you want. Personally I think that is the best riding in the city. Flatter rides would be the ride out to Primm, or even the Indian Springs ride. Both of those rides can be very windy, especially around this time of the year, and can be really boring.

There's also tons of great riding out in Lake Mead, but that can bet quite hilly.

Let me know if you need any other advice.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just in LV three weeks ago. Rented from ProCyclery and road from the store to Red Rock a few times on my own. Joined the Saturday group ride for a bit of hard riding (not a no-drop ride, but will do pick ups of dropped riders throughout ride).
Great group and bike shop. They pretty much can tell you the local routes that can be ridden from the shop. Lake Mead was highly recommended but I didn't have a vehicle or the time left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I help put on a camp every year in Vegas and we have had people rent from both McGhies (Henderson) and All Mountain Cyclery (Boulder City). The bikes from McGhies were a bit nicer, but I'm not sure on prices.

We do the camp based out of Lake Las Vegas so most of our rides are into Lake Mead State Park. If you don't mind an out an back riding along Northshore Rd is a great ride with very little traffic, we ride all the way out to Valley of Fire State Park and maybe see 10 cars, but it gets a bit hilly but mostly long gradual stuff. Our other main rides are Red Rock and Mt. Charleston (~35km from desert to snow).
Quote Reply
Re: tell me about cycling in vegas [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to find some info already on the forum about Vegas. I typically rent an MTB when I travel rather than hassling with road/tri bike fit, plus it lets me ride both roads and trails. So if I am staying at the MGM Grand Hotel, the only cycling route map that I can find is this:

http://bikinglasvegas.org/...-roads-paths-trails/

For people who know Vegas, how would you recommend I hook up from MGM Grand to any decent cycling route. I'll be riding at 5 am with more lights than you can imagine, so hopefully traffic will be light enough to connect with some good routes. I don't mind riding same route every day. And I won't have a car so need to ride out the door of the hotel.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
Thanks.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply