Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [AtleastITried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever I'd like to do differently would have nothing to do with triathlon.

Master's in aeronautical engineering, so I could do this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEz03Z8azc
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [AtleastITried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AtleastITried wrote:
Tell me your one thing you wish you did differently or could go back and change if you could go back 10 or so years.
Not have gotten in that hot tub, on that one weekend ski trip...

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey that's my motto/mantra. Don't do something you are going to regret, and don't regret anything you've done.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember looking at the business model when it was at $4 a share and saying not going to last.

Man was I stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd have to go back way more than 10 years for that....maybe more like 35 years....
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughingfarmer wrote:
You'd have to go back way more than 10 years for that....maybe more like 35 years....

I started doing tri's in the early eighties. There were no slots in those days, just apply. As a 20 year old I thought that people doing the IM distance were insane. Now as a 50 year old I think that people doing the IM distance are normal.
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redfox29 wrote:
I wish I got back on the bike when I fell off when I was 12. Took a hard turn around my parents' development and fell off into a curb...didn't ride a bike for 18 years after that

Didja hit your head in a Gary Busey sort of a way?

I went over the bars once jumping a curb & broke my arm ... I was back on the bike the next day [no jumping for a while, though]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think, starting in 1982, you had to submit some evidence of athletic achievement to get into the Ironman. For instance, you had to show you had completed something like the Boston marathon, or finished a major century ride in a decent time. Or maybe the Ironman application just asked those things for human interest purposes.....but the application definitely asked about those things by 1982.
I started triathlons in 1983, but I didn't try to qualify for Kona until 1996, and by then you definitely needed to have a top placement in your age group at a qualifier race in order to get in.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely cocaine and whores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I hadn't partied so much during my ski career. It was a significant reason for failing to reach my ski career goals. Now I'm an engineer and it's a really good life, but skiing is better.

I wish I'd shagged at least one, really really hot chick. As a pro skier I did a whole lot better than average and notched up some good numbers so to speak, and met a lot of great women, lotsa pretty women, but never that one top shelf babe that makes your mind explode.

I wish I didn't like food so much.

I wish sitting at the beach, teaching clouds how to fly, wasn't a life goal for me.

OK, so that's 4 things but I'm old so I have more things that I've f*cked up.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have kept going to the gym and doing some weight training on a regular basis. I'm proof that if you don't use it you lose it and being weak has caused other problems.

Many other things I wish I'd have done different but that's the biggest one from a athletic perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Bought amazon stock
-Balanced my social life in college a little better (maybe would have performed better in school on on the track)
-never continued racing after college

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have studied harder in school, gotten better grades, and hopefully a better job. I'm sure that work ethic would have spilled over to improve other areas of my life. I spent a lot of my early twenties chasing good times, and generally being unremarkable. Since finding triathlon, I've found there's a lot more you can achieve if you just challenge yourself and make the most of everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [LCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCD wrote:
Stop thinking about sex so much, had I known that one day I would be married & have it regularly, I would have gotten so much more done!
Uh.... this is one of the things I'd NEVER do differently.
It's what made my 20s and early 30s so much fun—even if slightly complicated.

And my experiences confirm how great a decision my wife made for me 14 years ago—when we met—to put an end to my fucking around.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lived in that alternate universe where you did not age ...... and could loop the great experiences for replays.

Oh ..... guess I do ........ in my mind.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 years? I'm old. That wouldn't make a difference. It'd have to be more like 30 to make a difference.

The easy answer would be to invest in Apple.

The tri-related answer would be to not allow myself to get fat (so I wouldn't have had to get unfat at 40) This would have made it easier for that kid watching Wide World of Sports and seeing these nutjobs in Hawaii doing this incredulous thing, thinking "Man, can't wait until I'm old enough and I could do that."....to actually accomplish it with greater ease at a much more sensible age.

Of course, if I had invested in Apple as well, it sure would have been a lot easier on the pocketbook in that very same pursuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AtleastITried wrote:
Tell me your one thing you wish you did differently or could go back and change if you could go back 10 or so years.

Too many to list, but happy where I am in life. But the one thing would have been join swim team instead of attempting to play football

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
AtleastITried wrote:

Can I tell you something I wouldn't change? Surely that's even more useful since it's more than a fantasy.
I wouldn't change my view that you should not linger on regret. Do what you think is best, learn from it, move on. Avoid hurting others and apologize if you do hurt others inadvertently, but don't live with regret. It serves no purpose. And don't ask others what they wish they did when they were younger, ask them what they think you should do now, and why. It's a far better question!

+1000, we make the best decisions we can at the time, no point in regret.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
For my part I don't wish I had done anything different. If I had, the me that I now am would not exist.

+1000

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: One thing you wish you did when you were younger? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worry less

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next