Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
trump is engaging in tactics that are common among the dictators of history.

As has been pointed out, all those tactics that people keep saying are common to the dictators of history are also common to the presidents of history, often very recent history. So I ask again, what's the point in comparing him to Hitler?

to say that this is a problem that needs to be addressed, is not unreasonable.

To say it's a problem that needs to be addressed isn't unreasonable. To insinuate that if it's not addressed, it's likely to lead to a dictatorship IS unreasonable. To claim to be afraid of a rising tyranny because of Trump's statements, while at the same time not objecting to similar statements and actual actions on the part of past presidents is hypocritical, to boot.

See, you pointed it out. When I did the same thing about Obama, as Vegan described, I was attacked for how absurd my comparison was and felt the need to apologize and admit I'm wrong. I guess its OK when liberals say Trump is like Hitler.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
See, you pointed it out. When I did the same thing about Obama, as Vegan described, I was attacked for how absurd my comparison was and felt the need to apologize and admit I'm wrong. I guess its OK when liberals say Trump is like Hitler.

it depends on the comparison. i would vehemently disagree with comparing trump to hitler, depending on the comparison made.

same with obama.

i may also agree with it.

it depends on what was said.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bottom line is that Trump has engaged in some rhetoric, and that rhetoric is not actually that much different than what past presidents have engaged in- I'd say it's worse when it comes to the press, and not as bad when it comes to the judiciary. Be that as it may, it's just rhetoric, and his actions as president so far have been exemplary when it comes to respecting the checks and balances of our government and in not interfering with the press. That's a fact, and it's something most presidents can't claim. Many of them, including liberal icons like Obama and FDR, have taken actions that much worse in that regard than mere rhetoric, and I don't remember Hitler hysteria being a "reasonable" charge to level at them.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about to be honest.

You must be new around here.

Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

As has been pointed out, all those tactics that people keep saying are common to the dictators of history are also common to the presidents of history, often very recent history. So I ask again, what's the point in comparing him to Hitler?

can you give me an example on something that a recent president said that is similar to trumps statements for which the hitler comparison is made?

Quote:
To insinuate that if it's not addressed, it's likely to lead to a dictatorship IS unreasonable

i think what people are generally saying is that it COULD lead down that path, or may be likely if it is unchecked. i dont think that is an unreasonable position to have.

if someone said there is a 78% chance that we will be in a dictatorship in a few years, i would likely think they are being unreasonable. but i dont think thats the general point anyone is making. "hey lets nip this shit in the bud" is probably a more fair characterization.

How about this? All free societies eventually devolve into authoritarianism as people learn they can select leaders that make promises of more and more free shit, and politicians learn they can accumulate power by promising free shit. Eventually so much free shit is handed out and the levers to hand it out concentrated that all it takes is one bad actor to come into power to turn the society from free to slave over night.

What you are describing is predictable, but a predictable byproduct of your demand for more stuff from the state in exchange for giving them more strings over your life.

I predict we are under absolute control by a technocratic bureaucracy in 200 years or less. Elections are nothing more than exercises designed to keep the public believing they are free. I guarantee today's society resembles nothing of what the founding fathers envisioned as free, even if you account for civil rights and the end of slavery which would actually promote a free society.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Bottom line is that Trump has engaged in some rhetoric, and that rhetoric is not actually that much different than what past presidents have engaged in- I'd say it's worse when it comes to the press, and not as bad when it comes to the judiciary. Be that as it may, it's just rhetoric, and his actions as president so far have been exemplary when it comes to respecting the checks and balances of our government and in not interfering with the press. That's a fact, and it's something most presidents can't claim. Many of them, including liberal icons like Obama and FDR, have taken actions that much worse in that regard than mere rhetoric, and I don't remember Hitler hysteria being a "reasonable" charge to level at them.

This is my point. I'm all for people calling whoever hitler all they want, but because I got dressed down for my beliefs with regard to Obama, so shall they. If I couldn't call Obama hitler, they can't call trump hitler, at least not yet.

When he starts doing something that can't even compare to any other recent president, then we can. Something like turning the FEMA camps started under bush and completed under Obama into death camps with trains leading into them. Or policies that result in mass shootings and graves of illegal border crossers that go unaddressed.

All men of power have a certain narcissistic/psychopathic tendency, whether it is Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein, FDR, Obama, or Trump. But once you start selectively comparing them, you render the term meaningless.

Just like when black civil rights leaders call everyone racist, it has lost its meaning. BLM has no meaning because they focus on the racism element that may exist in some instances, but largely absent in most.

By calling trump hitler or making regular comparisons to him, you are basically calling anybody who voted for him a useful idiot or racist themselves. Therefore you are insulting nearly half the country. That is the real consequence of such actions.

So keep doing it. Maybe if you say it enough people will believe it and the real consequences of that being the truth. Or, you look like an idiots.

Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

This is my point. I'm all for people calling whoever hitler all they want, but because I got dressed down for my beliefs with regard to Obama, so shall they. If I couldn't call Obama hitler, they can't call trump hitler, at least not yet.

When he starts doing something that can't even compare to any other recent president, then we can. Something like turning the FEMA camps started under bush and completed under Obama into death camps with trains leading into them. Or policies that result in mass shootings and graves of illegal border crossers that go unaddressed.
Wait, hold on...you wouldn't start comparing Trump to a monstrous dictator until some of the bolded were to happen? You don't think people should work to dispose someone before we were to ever get into those situations?

I think comparing Trump to Hitler is part of the hysteria liberals have been expressing the past few months, but he hasn't exactly been a bastion of free speech and democracy since he's taken office and I think his words and actions should worry people. It's akin to Obama and his comments about FOX and some of the things pointed out in this thread, the difference being Trump has been office one month and he's been beating this drum the entire time.

Anyway, let's all agree that it'd be nice to do something BEFORE we have mass graves and death camps, yeah?
Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he hasn't exactly been a bastion of free speech and democracy since he's taken office and I think his words and actions should worry people.

His words worry me far less in regards to free speech and democracy than the actions of the past several presidents. (Though yes, he is encouraging a distrust of the media to an unreasonable degree among his supporters. At the risk of repeating myself, though, he's fanning a flame that's already been burning.)

What actions of his should I worry about?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

What actions of his should I worry about?

The travel ban; even if you agree with the policy, which I do to a degree, the execution was piss-poor and caused all kinds of hassle for people coming and going from this country. Fielding the call from Taiwan, not a huge deal but a complete lack of diplomacy.

I think Trump has shown he doesn't think before he acts. Does that mean he's about to roll out some death camps? No, I think the Hitler comparisons are laughable. BUT as I said I think some of what he's done should have people worried, and he really needs to think things through and lean on advisors who'll preach just a touch more patience and diplomacy.

Oh and one more that doesn't worry me, but sure does piss me off: staying at Mar-a-lago despite the bad press he's been getting for it. That should piss everyone off who purports to be a fiscal conservative. Who gives a shit if he's gonna take a $1 salary if his security detail will cost $10's of millions more than past presidents? If he's at all concerned with the federal budget and deficit he hasn't shown it so far. Feels like a power move from a narcissist more than anything.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Feb 21, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Enough with the comparing people with Natzis [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The travel ban; even if you agree with the policy, which I do to a degree, the execution was piss-poor and caused all kinds of hassle for people coming and going from this country.

I don't agree with the ban, and I agree that the execution was piss poor. But it's also something that (properly executed) is entirely within the president's lawful and proper authority. It doesn't threaten liberty, and it doesn't present me with concerns about freedom and democracy.

There are any number of things I find objectionable about Trump. I'm not asking for a list of those things. I'm asking for actions that he's committed that should give me reason to worry about liberty, and should make me concerned that he might be on his way to seizing dictatorial power.

Does he have ideas and proposals that I disagree with? Yep. Is he fantastically competent? Nope. Has he done anything that threatens freedom, or undermines our system of democracy? Nope.

Quote Reply

Prev Next