Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Underwater Audio
Quote | Reply
I am looking to get an mp3 player and headphones for lap swimming.

Does anyone use these? Underwater Audio Waterproof iPod Shuffle $125

These seem to be Amazon's top of the line item for underwater audio. I tend to be a budget shopper and go for mid range quality. While doing some research it seems like underwater audio/headphones is is an item that you should no skimp out on, especially if I am going to be logging a lot of yards each week.

So again, does anyone use that specific device or any alternatives that you are happy with? I would like to get the price down and find something else if anyone could recommend.

Feel free to move along if your comment is going to be don't get headphones for swimming. I am looking for advice on specific players/headphones.

Thanks for your time.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

These seem to be Amazon's top of the line item for underwater audio. I tend to be a budget shopper and go for mid range quality. While doing some research it seems like underwater audio/headphones is is an item that you should no skimp out on, especially if I am going to be logging a lot of yards each week.

So again, does anyone use that specific device or any alternatives that you are happy with? I would like to get the price down and find something else if anyone could recommend.

Feel free to move along if your comment is going to be don't get headphones for swimming. I am looking for advice on specific players/headphones.

Thanks for your time.

I have used the AudioFlood ipod for 3 or 4 years and haven't had any issues and it's a good distraction when I'm trying to log some long yardage. I use the earbuds that came with the unit; they sound a little "tinny" but other than that, they work good, especially given their age. I wear a swim cap while swimming and that helps keep the earbuds in place.

I also use them if I'm running and rain looks likely.

I've been happy with them and would buy again.
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the underwater audio MP3 player and their swim buds. However, like you I wanted to save a bit too, so I went for the refurbished version on ebay here :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272276292403

I'm not sure if this is the exact seller I bought from, but it's the same deal with 90 days warranty.

Also, includes the waterproof earbuds too.

I've been very satisfied and have used them for almost a year now with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used audio flood for several years. The iPod has not had problems, but I've replaced the earbuds every couple of months. Now I order 3 sets of earbuds at a time. The earbuds are around $6.00. I also use the "corkscrew" earbud type. Those stay in my ears a lot better than the round ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy it! I have an underwater audio I pod shuffle. Bought mine a year ago. Use it everyday . Swim in the pool, swim open water and run with it. Love it. I bought it because of the review nick did on it from tririg. Since I am a complete idiot when it comes down loading my I tunes into it, I went to the Apple Store. Easy to use, sound is good, have had no problems with it. Advice read the instructions. Run the ear phone cords inside the googles straps at the temples. Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Sony swim mp3 player that I really like, it was on sale on amazon for $68 at the time. I like it because it works just like a flash drive, no special software needed, it's one piece and a 3 minute charge will get about 60 minutes of play when I forget to charge it. It doesn't work well with a swim cap though.

https://www.amazon.com/...pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the finis neptune. Looks like it's been discontinued and now they have the finis duo.

I like that it's bone conduction and there's nothing in your ears. I've had mine a bit more than a year and it's still going strong.

I haven't tried the waterproofed iPod shuffle, but I can see an advantage if your music is all in the iTunes universe. Having to export songs as .mp3s then move them onto the Finis is my sole complaint about it (although I'll admit it's a pretty small complaint).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

Thanks for your time.

x2 on the Finis Duo. They are on something like their 10th generation and it works really well - I have had every one since the beginning and the latest version is definitely the best yet.. The only caveat is that I think you need to find a pair of swim goggles that works with it. A goggle with a large flat band is good. If you have the long stringy bands that doesn't work so well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:

Thanks for your time.

x2 on the Finis Duo. They are on something like their 10th generation and it works really well - I have had every one since the beginning and the latest version is definitely the best yet.. The only caveat is that I think you need to find a pair of swim goggles that works with it. A goggle with a large flat band is good. If you have the long stringy bands that doesn't work so well.

x3 on the finis Duo - bloody great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used mine since 2013 together with the swimbud earphones with zero problems! And I agree, the corkscrew earbuds work best for me. Use it for swims, runs, bikes, walks, commutes, everything! The IPod clips on goggles, sweatband, hatband, jacket collar etc. the short cable hasn't ever been an issue for me.

In the past I listened to music. And if memory serves me, the 2gig holds about 140-150 songs. Plenty for a nice shuffle mix. But these days I'm all over free podcasts from ITunes. Simple click, drag & drop. I just downloaded 11 new ones yesterday for this week. Won't even guess how many hours that is. I know one Joe Rogan is 4+

CC

Edit: this is my 5th season using the iPod, I've re-ordered the headphones 2x before. So 3rd pair currently. After a year or so the audio cuts in and out
Last edited by: ChiroCowboy: Feb 21, 17 1:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:

Thanks for your time.

Another fan of the finis swimp3. And underwater music device that uses ear buds doesn't work at all for me. Ive tried several and they all leaked. As soon as water got in, sound ended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the detailed reviews everyone. It sounds like I can't go wrong with the Underwater Audio shuffle.

I am a little more curious about this Finis Duo though.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

So the Duo does not use ear buds, rather small speakers? I do have a pretty flat band on my goggles. I use this swim mask goggle.

With it not being earbuds, can other people in the lane next to you hear the audio underwater?
How about when you come out of the water, can others hear that I am listening to barney and friends?

Thanks again

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [C Senor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimp3 all the way. I was skeptical at first but it's awesome. I haven't had a goggle strap issue, but that could just be that I happened to have good goggles for it (wide band, as someone else mentioned).

Bought a used one on ebay, 2 gigs for about $60 a couple of years ago and zero issues. I don't use it often, just to shake things up. Highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the ads in magazines, but never thought people were actually swimming with music. I'm not even sure i could swim with music if I had any, Would it throw off my breathing or pace? Definitely interesting. I swim 2-4K in the pool 3 times a week and never considered this. Might in the future. Cool to know though.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Thanks for all of the detailed reviews everyone. It sounds like I can't go wrong with the Underwater Audio shuffle.

I am a little more curious about this Finis Duo though.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

So the Duo does not use ear buds, rather small speakers? I do have a pretty flat band on my goggles. I use this swim mask goggle.

With it not being earbuds, can other people in the lane next to you hear the audio underwater?
How about when you come out of the water, can others hear that I am listening to barney and friends?

Thanks again

They say it isn't speakers and it is bone conduction but you can hear it a bit. Not sure if the other lane people can hear it. I have seen one or two people in lanes before with them and I have never heard anything from theirs. You can hear it out of water but it sounds really muffled if not on the head.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [C Senor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried several different types, including ones that use earbuds, and the Finis Neptune. It's best that I cannot recall how much money I ended up wasting on different waterproof players, headphones, and earbud replacement pieces.
Generally, I couldn't get the types that used earbuds to stay in for more than 5-10 minutes. Usually, once a little water gets in, the ear gets a little slippery and so the ear bud won't stay in.
Other times, a little water would get in and so the sound on one side would cut out.
Finally, I tried the one from Finis, and have been using it successfully for about 2-3 years. The sound quality isn't bad - sort of like an FM radio once your head is in the water. Everything stays in place during an entire workout (I do tuck the bit of excess wire under the goggle straps), so there really isn't an annoyance factor. Battery life is really good. I can go for about 2 weeks on a charge.
Yes, it does take a little effort to convert your songs from iTunes to mp3 and then drag/drop over. But if you copy over a few hundred, then you probably won't have to do it again for a long, long, long time since you won't really get sick of hearing the same songs.
I think those people who are able to keep earbuds in during an entire swim workout are very lucky. They were blessed with the gene of good shaped ears. For those folks, there are lots of workable solutions. Those folks are also able to run with any type of earbuds -- even Apple's, which won't stay in my ears if I walk 10 feet.
For me, I have wasted lots of money with the "hope" that X brand would be the magic solution.
For you ?? Who knows?? But the Finis brand should work regardless, so I would avoid the risk and go with those. Good luck!

I'm just one 50-mile race away from my goal weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joining the Finis Duo fans.

Great product, good sound, easy to use.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [4tridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you download podcasts to the finis?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. My biggest beef with the Finis is that loading files onto it is a pain and feels archaic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a waterproof shuffle.

My biggest problem is content. I use Spotify for everything else and don't especially buy music... this limits me to a small subset of songs that I've played to death.

I couldn't get the headphones that came with it to work for me (they fell out after a couple turns in the pool). I got a cheap pair of headphones from Amazon and have been reasonably happy.

I tend to accidentally leave it on (or i guess it could be getting bumped in my swim bag) too often so i have a dead battery

I've gotten away from using it lately because my workout quality tends to suffer (and I am too cheap to buy music).

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my audio flood. The earphones it came with were ok. I got these earphones and they work better. Awesome actually:

I swam 6 days a week growing up and am used to not having entertainment swimming. I love these and use em all the time.

HydroActive Short-Cord Waterproof... https://www.amazon.com/...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Get it
Quote Reply
Re: Underwater Audio [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
I've seen the ads in magazines, but never thought people were actually swimming with music. I'm not even sure i could swim with music if I had any, Would it throw off my breathing or pace? Definitely interesting. I swim 2-4K in the pool 3 times a week and never considered this. Might in the future. Cool to know though.

In University we had Master's swim practice, with the underwater speakers on. It was awesome. We could bring in whatever music we wanted & have the coach put it on. It was actually quite clear & very cool to have a pool that had such a high quality sound of music with your head underwater. Yeah it was a high end pool at the time. I don't use headphones in the pool now, I just think it distracts me actually--from the task at hand.
Quote Reply