Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asics runners (what am I missing?)
Quote | Reply
from the poll, that is. asics makes 60-something running shoe models. i think i've got 13 or so. have i covered the majors?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinsei
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GT-2000 series? Those seem like their mega high volume line.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you think triathletes run in that? i agree they have that shoe, i'm just trying to keep it to asics shoes that are going to get selected 5 percent of the time or more. are there shoes on that list that just shouldn't be there, that the GT-2000 should replace?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
added

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
do you think triathletes run in that?
It's a good question. I am curious to see the poll results. It is what I run on and many of my friends run on them. Though, I got them before I got into triathlons (again). Depending on the results, I may check out other shoes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gel Pursue
GT 3000

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked GT2000 since I'd be most likely to purchase those again (I've purchased once and really like them). I have an unworn pair of Gel-Cumulus which I will break out at some point. Have owned a couple pairs of Gel Kahanas, which I probably won't buy again when the current pair wears out, and still have an unworn pair of 1170s that I bought a long time ago on sale but am waiting for my current pair to either explode or hit 10k miles whichever comes first.
Last edited by: Route66: Feb 20, 17 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had Asics in 10+ years. Waiting patiently for my brands to appear in the poll.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman...you are missing Asics greatest gift to runners....the Tartherzeal 5 (just switched from 4) But I think this shoe is only available in Asia and I have no idea why...it is by far and away my absolute favourite shoe to run in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a pair of Asics 1020 (if memory serves) in 2000. Every time I switch to another shoe, I get injured, and so I've religiously stuck with the 1xxx series since then.
Definitely makes buying running shoes easy...
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the 3000...the shoe that should've made the Kayano obsolete...and then they went and boned it on up.

The Pursue overlaps a fair bit with the Cumulus, perhaps a bit unfairly to both models.

IMO, the real problem Asics has - too much stuff in the product line. Way too many shoes floating around out there.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [jhudsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 10xx series has been renamed to the GT 2000.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get whichever one they sell at Famous Footwear

I'm fortunate not to have any sort of bio mechanical issues serious enough to warrant spending more that $60 for a pair of hi-tech bobos that could last me 800 miles or so

YMMV - literally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GT 2000 is the former full line 2000 series, that died with the 2170. They then renamed that to the GT 2000, which is now on V5.

The 1000 still exists...just dropped from the "technical" line-up and now more in big box/Macy's.

Primary difference between the 1000 and 2000 previously was the amount of plastic in the bridge under the midfoot, and some additional Gel up in the forefoot...otherwise, pretty similar shoes.

Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
The GT 2000 is the former full line 2000 series, that died with the 2170. They then renamed that to the GT 2000, which is now on V5.

The 1000 still exists...just dropped from the "technical" line-up and now more in big box/Macy's.

Primary difference between the 1000 and 2000 previously was the amount of plastic in the bridge under the midfoot, and some additional Gel up in the forefoot...otherwise, pretty similar shoes.

Running Warehouse still sells the 1000.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider RW a big-box versus a run specialty distributor, but to each their own.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kayanos to train, Noosas to race. Your poll didn't allow for multiple answers. Noosas are the prettiest shoes I have ever owned and I would wear to black tie events too if I could!
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niagirl wrote:
Kayanos to train, Noosas to race. Your poll didn't allow for multiple answers. Noosas are the prettiest shoes I have ever owned and I would wear to black tie events too if I could!

I have Black on Black Chuck Taylors for those

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I would consider RW a big-box versus a run specialty distributor, but to each their own.

Uh, okay, whatever... But they don't carry any of the other low end Asics you see at Kohl's, Shoe Carnival, etc. which was kind of my point.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RW carries a number of shoes outside of the "technical" running line-up. Same as a Nordstrom's, or other decent box, that also gets to tap into the technical line-up.

It's fine. They're a good online merchant. They're just not a specialty run store. Should they be? I don't think so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
do you think triathletes run in that? i agree they have that shoe, i'm just trying to keep it to asics shoes that are going to get selected 5 percent of the time or more. are there shoes on that list that just shouldn't be there, that the GT-2000 should replace?

Hmh ... its one of the most used - training - shoes here in Austria. So how do you define "triathlete"? There are more high end models for sure and sponsored athletes will use those. I do 50% of my training in GT-2000s and one of the reasons is, that you can always pick them up for less than 100 EUR and they last really long.

You need to explain, where you draw the line of an "athlete". I don't think you will see them on the highest level, but on the midpack level, they are a work horse for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics runners (what am I missing?) [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kinsei is like the Prophecy from Mizuno - it rarely if ever gets bought here in the 'States. Yet there's pockets where these shoes pick up a little momentum - Austria/Germany, Japan, for instance - that otherwise keep them in these brands respective line-ups.

But with both shoes I think they could be eliminated and 98% of the audience would find models that are just as suitable within the line-up; example is one that you've given yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't see the poll, so don't know if you included the Dyna-Flyte? Awesome shoe.
Quote Reply