Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Club cost
Quote | Reply
I have been offered an opportunity to start a Tri Club/Team in an established swimming facility. They have an indoor 50 meter pool and a space to put in a designated trainer and treadmill area. I have been putting together a business plan, but I keep getting stuck on what to charge. My question for you all is, what would be a fair price to charge for an annual membership. I am unsure if an annual membership would be the way to go or to charge by class. This would include access to masters swimming, smart trainer riding groups and treadmills. Any suggestions or questions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Club cost [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're building a business plan the last thing to figure out is the price structure. First you need to figure out ALL of your expenses (facility, equipment, staff, insurance, etc)

From there you determine how many daily/weekly/monthly/annual classes/users you need to cover your costs at X pricing. Play around with moving the numbers around until you find what should work the best.

You may say you need 1000 people a week at X fee but there are only 500 potential people interested so X needs to be higher to cover your costs (which could also lower the potential number of participants)

Id personally offer multiple pay options

Annual - best rate overall and gets use of everything all year and first dips on specific classes that have a cap
Seasonal - good during the busiest time of year, slightly higher rate then those that are annual members
Monthly fee
single session or single class fee
drop in fee

Yeh running a business is fun

good luck, the facility sounds like it could be really cool

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters program costs me $50 per month

Gym cost per month can range from $25 - 100 per month

Special computrainer or kicker like classes run $20 per class or $125 per month

Therefore if you offer all above come up with a nice monthly cost or let them try it out for 1 week free

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GwennyPants wrote:
I have been offered an opportunity to start a Tri Club/Team in an established swimming facility. They have an indoor 50 meter pool and a space to put in a designated trainer and treadmill area. I have been putting together a business plan, but I keep getting stuck on what to charge. My question for you all is, what would be a fair price to charge for an annual membership. I am unsure if an annual membership would be the way to go or to charge by class. This would include access to masters swimming, smart trainer riding groups and treadmills. Any suggestions or questions would be greatly appreciated.

The devil's in the details. What are the services you provide? Last time I was a member of a gym club, I paid around $70/ month for access to everything (fitness classes, weight room, pool, etc). I paid an extra $50 per month for masters swimming in the same facility.

Having bikes and treadmills doesn't mean anything, you can find those at any fitness club. What sets your system apart from any other 24h Fitness or similar? What are smart trainer riding groups - like an organized race on Computrainer or just an ability for people to jump onto a Zwift ride? To me, it doesn't seem like anything I'd want to pay for unless maybe for a few months in winter. If you live in a place where there is real winter (aka snow on the road) you might have some potential customers for a while but once it's spring everyone will be riding and running outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Club cost [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are located in the NE US, so weather is an issue. We still have snow on the ground and sunlight is at a premium. The club is a nationally ranked swimming facility, having produced olympians. At this time, the thought is to offer the use of computrainers utilizing the Perf Pro software. These would be done in a group style ride, but we would also have the capacity for athletes to drop in and use the machines at their leisure for Zwift. The area is fairly saturated with cyclists and triathletes, that have no way of trainer together during inclement weather. There are many spin clubs in the region, but nothing that caters specifically to triathletes. I have investigated this nationally, but there are very few places that have the capacity to offer an indoor 50 m pool for masters and the ability to do indoor group simulated rides. The businesses that I have found charge between $12 and $25 for their group rides. In order to present what is needed for the startup investment, I'm trying to gather as much information from the community at large. Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Club cost [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your ideas Boots. With a rough estimate, it looks like it'll be around $45-$50k for start up in equipment. At this time we are looking at charging $x for 100 activities, this allows people to use the trainers/group rides or masters or yoga. If they want to do exclusively yoga or cycling or swimming, that is their choice. The activity purchase would never expire and this would allow us to maintain income even during the summer months. I personally like the idea of also charging for an annual membership at a discounted rate to incentivize individuals to stay on year round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GwennyPants wrote:

Is this a club or a business? Is the objective to simply cover your costs or to make a profit while paying yourself something?
Quote Reply
Re: Club cost [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The long term goal is to create it into a performance center that would offer camps (stroke analysis, nutrition, race strategies, basic bike maintence, bike fit, etc) but for the time being it would be a club. My background is that of a competitive swimmer and coach, who got the tri bug. I am planning on getting my Tri coach cert within the next few months. My salary is directly connected to my swim coaching, but would be supplemented pending how this tri opportunity proceeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you want it to become a successful business where the business side trumps the club side. That said, creating a successful "club" is going to help make it a successful business. Part of your pricing is highly dependent on your estimate of the number of club members. Also, the month to month pricing needs to be separate from a la carte sessions such as bike fitting, stroke analysis, etc. Look up the National Training Center in Clermont and you can see what they charge for those various services.
Quote Reply