Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XC skiing in Snowbird?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone found places to xc ski in Snowbird UT? I've been casually searching around but nothing really pops up. I'll be there for a conference for a couple days and would like to do this during the breaks. Rental locations/trails/advice appreciated!
Last edited by: TomkR: Feb 20, 17 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: XC skiing in Snowbird? [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you have a car? If so, the Solitude Nordic Center up Big Cottonwood Canyon is your best bet. If not, have any avy training? If so, some of the best ski terrain you can get ahold of. You could also get away with going up the road just above Alta with a set of Nordic skis as they groom it. I would wear a beacon and carry the rest of your avy gear as slides sometimes cover that road.

You could also go up Millcreek Canyon and skinny ski up there. Also in Park City check out Soldier Hollow those are only in if you have transportation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Click your heels in and go alpine. You are in the best downhill ski neighborhood in the country. What a waste.
Quote Reply
Re: XC skiing in Snowbird? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past I would've been all over alpine, but recent knee injuries make it a little more risky than I'd like to attempt. But I'd still like to get out and enjoy the area.

I don't have avy gear nor training unfortunately, or even a car so snowbird is where it needs to happen.

Any more suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one time I skied at Alta there were people cross country skiing along the long flat sections in front of the base area and also up the green runs on climbers left. This was mid December maybe 8-9 years ago. I don't know if this was sanctioned or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I XC skied the last three days in Utah. I am glad I got another three days in, but it sort of sucked. The temperature is in the forties, even at about 8000 feet, and the snow is soft. Snow running might be more enjoyable. Maybe a cold front will move in.

I cannot give you any advice for Snowbird. I don't like resorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.utahnordic.com/skiing/locations

there is some XC skiing at Alta between Wildcat base and Albion base; not much there
Snowbird has no xc ski

so best bets (with car) are Solitude, Jeremy Ranch, White Pine and Soldier Hollow

right now warm temps, high winds but changes Thursday back to winter temps and new snow
Quote Reply