Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire-tube really stupid question
Quote | Reply
Digging under the sink for the baby powered for latex tube installation last night and I see the jar of petroleum jelly which made me wonder .

Is there any reduction in rolling resistance if I lube up a butyl tube before installing it ? Don't they say friction losses between the tire and tube increases the rolling resistance? Wouldn't this help ?

Yes , I know it's a stupid question but I'm off work today and it beats doing home chores.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire-tube really stupid question [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any data on it (perhaps Tom A. does?), but I'm pretty sure any friction between tire and tube is negligible. The rolling resistance stems from the hysteresis in the tire and tube material, not the friction between them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um... If Vaseline is unsafe to use with latex condoms I'm not going to try it with a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire-tube really stupid question [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly a new use for KY... improve your rolling resistance with a little dab of KY between the tube and tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire-tube really stupid question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lube is so last year, wax it

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of worrying about that, try working on your motor.

(Sorry, every bike thread has to have some jackass who does this. Today it's me!)

But yeah, if you can't use petroleum lube on other petroleum based uh, items, I'm guessing it would deteriorate a tire tube, too. Maybe some silicone lube ....

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Digging under the sink for the baby powered for latex tube installation last night and I see the jar of petroleum jelly which made me wonder .

Is there any reduction in rolling resistance if I lube up a butyl tube before installing it ? Don't they say friction losses between the tire and tube increases the rolling resistance? Wouldn't this help ?

Yes , I know it's a stupid question but I'm off work today and it beats doing home chores.

The baby powder is for the installation ease only. Anyone who's had to "peel" a long-installed latex tube from the inside of a tire will understand that there's no movement between the tube and the tire at road bike pressures, powder or no.

Leave the grease under the sink.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Feb 21, 17 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Tire-tube really stupid question [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

The baby powder is for the installation ease only. Anyone who's had to "peel" a long-installed latex tube from the inside of a tire will understand that there's no movement between the tube and the tire at road bike pressures, powder or no.

Leave the grease under the sink.

There's no movement between tube and tire when they are stuck, but when you powder them, it allows the movement. Baby powder makes installation and removal a breeze. Even if that's all it does, that's still pretty good. As just about all dust, grime and crud sticks to a vaselined surface, I'd recommend against it.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply