Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS
Quote | Reply
Hi, I recently bought a second hand shiv frameset, (its my third one) but it only has the frame and fork. No headset, no rear derailleur hangar, no brakes. I want to buy those but my LBS has some trouble getting the parts. LBS are good guys, and are a official dealer, so I expected a catalog where they would order any part or screw for any specialized bike from the factory. But it seems to be a bit harder. So looking into ordering them myself. But no idea from where. Any tips very welcome.

We tried some headsets (FSA, Canecreek, Origin) at the store with the right size but just didnt fit properly. Bottom was too spaced and the top was not flush, others did not fit. It does not seem to be a standard size. I either want the original headset with the part that matches the frame, or the exact size of another brand that will fit for sure or is being used by someone out there. I saw some pics in google of cane creek headsets on the shiv, no sizes, models mentioned though..

For the rear derailleur hanger, the LBS looked at a catalog (non-specialized) with allot of hangars and are trying to best guess which hangar i need by looking at the shape of the hangar spot on the frame, which is not really a sure thing. If they order it it may take a few weeks to get here, and it would be dissapointing if it wouldnt be the right one.

Brakes are an issue with this frame, I have a set of magura's but the EPS screw is damaged so cant bleed it. If i can buy a set of the original cable ones would be good. Last option (and just because of price, if the budget allowed it would be first) i could get the omega sv brakes from amazon. I have a front on one of my other bikes, solid brake. But, I want to see if I can get the originals first.

Is there a source for specific specialized part like this for consumers? Or maybe an online bike shop that could help with this?

[edited]
I also do not have the metal cable guide part for the rear brake cable. But this could be part of the brakes.

Thanks in advance //Daniel

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Last edited by: Tri297: Feb 19, 17 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the shop can't get you the right parts, they should be fired.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally understand that statement, but im not really interested in dealing with the LBS on that part, Been there, done that. Got them in trouble, didnt get what i needed, didnt feel good about it. I just ask them for help, if they cant or struggle too much, I look for alternatives. No business is the best message I think.

Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I removed the original brakes from my 2016 S-works shiv that I would be willing to sell. Where are you located?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shiv's headset bearings are 45-45. That is, the both inside and outside race walls sit at a 45 degree angle. Most 1-1/8" bearings on Tri bikes are 36-45, where the inside walls are at 36 degrees (steeper towards the steerer tube) and 45 degrees outside. This allows for a slightly smaller bearing, smaller outer diameter and less frontal area. But the Shiv uses 45-45. Run a google search and you can find spares for about $6 each. Good luck!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I removed the original brakes from my 2016 S-works shiv that I would be willing to sell. Where are you located?

Nice, I live in the caribbean, but have mail forwarding in Miami with a shipping company. I will send you a PM to explore the option. I would also need the studs for the originals. This frame is plain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would probably be easier and less expensive to just mail the brakes directly to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for specialized shiv headset, derailler hanger, original brakes, not LBS [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
The Shiv's headset bearings are 45-45. That is, the both inside and outside race walls sit at a 45 degree angle. Most 1-1/8" bearings on Tri bikes are 36-45, where the inside walls are at 36 degrees (steeper towards the steerer tube) and 45 degrees outside. This allows for a slightly smaller bearing, smaller outer diameter and less frontal area. But the Shiv uses 45-45. Run a google search and you can find spares for about $6 each. Good luck!

Thanks, I found a bunch of them, but its still a bit confusing. Some mention campy-compatibility and others mention, besides the 1 1/8 steering tube and 45-45 angle an additional measurement, which I guess is the diameter of the bearing itself. Any chance you can share a link, brand or model number of a set of bearings for the shiv? (6 dollar options welcome)

Also, looking at the manual (for the first time), I will also need a compression ring, and a top cap. I will need to source the compression ring somehow as well, as I dont have it. The top cap is needed as well, but can be non-specialized.

Below Jordan Rapp's 2013 rig and Crowie's 2014 rig with cane creek low profile top headset caps,

Last edited by: Tri297: Feb 20, 17 13:13
Quote Reply