Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar?
Quote | Reply
I did a quick search and found nothing. My family would like to keep tabs on me when I'm out for a long run or bike. They'd also like to be able to "see" be in real time during my races. I was thinking of either getting a Quarq Collector or something like the new LG Watch Sport which could double as a backup phone (I'd just take the band off and put it in a jersey pocket for races).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I did a quick search and found nothing. My family would like to keep tabs on me when I'm out for a long run or bike. They'd also like to be able to "see" be in real time during my races. I was thinking of either getting a Quarq Collector or something like the new LG Watch Sport which could double as a backup phone (I'd just take the band off and put it in a jersey pocket for races).

Yes, my gf and I use Garmin's "live track" service. It's dependent on cell service though, which in some areas around Tucson is difficult to come by; although it doesn't seem to destroy the battery. I like the idea of the Quarq unit, but it's another thing to carry in pockets that can get pretty full (unless it's mounted on the bike I guess).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Glympse - which is an iPhone app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signing up to keep an eye on responses :-)

Tech thicko here ...

Do any of these trackers work without cell phone covereage ?

My friend is doing a double and he will race through the night in areas of poor or no cell coverage - is there anything out there that will allow us to keep tabs on him ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A double what? If you're outside of cell phone coverage you'll be relying on satelite reception because ultimately you need something to communicate your position with and if there is no cell phone network to do the communication for you, there's only satellite left. Something like this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Garmin Edge 510 and run Garmin Connect on my phone linked to the 510 with BT. It transmits my location in real time via an online link. I'm also Strava Premium and that now links Strava Beacon through my Garmin account. Either way though you need to have your phone with you so it doesn't work during races. Works great for training though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

"Life360" is a good (and free) real-time tracking app that works for Apple and Android phones.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Strava beacon so that the wife knows how far behind schedule I'm running. Works alright.
The Wahoo live track through the Elemnt is useless. Updates sporadically (Often shows me an hour out when I've actually gotten home) and does not show a track of where I was, so directionality is hard to tell.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked on this thread because I thought I read Strava Bacon. Which would be the first really good reason I have seen to get up to speed on Strava (not counting the free running shoes for achieving a negative split marathon, thanks Strava/New Balance!)

Too bad, Freudian reading. Never mind.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road ID has a free tracker app. I used to use before having a Garmin that I use with Garmin Connect Live Track.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
A double what? If you're outside of cell phone coverage you'll be relying on satelite reception because ultimately you need something to communicate your position with and if there is no cell phone network to do the communication for you, there's only satellite left. Something like this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286

Thank you.

Double 'Brutal'. It's a double iron distance event (220 voted it the toughest of the extreme triathlons). The problem is it's in north wales so phone signal will most likely be poor / non existent.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Garmin live track, plus I have the 820 which has incident detection. Tested that out yesterday. Went down pretty hard. It shot my wife several texts letting her know I crashed and she had a link to my location. I was with a big group and luckily hit grass, so I wasn't too beat up. But if I'd have been out on my own and landed two foot over, I'd have been very lucky to have that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I was thinking of either getting a Quarq Collector or something like the new LG Watch Sport which could double as a backup phone (I'd just take the band off and put it in a jersey pocket for races).

Just a heads up -- LG embedded antennas inside the watch band on the LG Watch Sport so they are not removable.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Here Using Strava Beacon or Something Similar? [triharder81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triharder81 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I was thinking of either getting a Quarq Collector or something like the new LG Watch Sport which could double as a backup phone (I'd just take the band off and put it in a jersey pocket for races).

Just a heads up -- LG embedded antennas inside the watch band on the LG Watch Sport so they are not removable.

Thanks for the heads up on that! Hmmmm.... that kind of puts a kink in my plan :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a qollector. Use it for outdoor rides and races (70.3 or longer). Almost everything else requires a phone which you obviously can't have during a race. I think the qollector is a good start for quarq. Is it perfect? No but I see a lot of potential with it. Oh and my coach also liked being able to track me and see data during a race.

blog
Quote Reply